Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2016, 06:06 PM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 69
Here are some pics of the pieces I made and how they fit on the door. So far, I haven't drilled any new holes through the door. I have drilled some holes on the side pieces of aluminum trim, but they do not go through to the outside. I am undecided about drilling a holes through the door, and the 4 pieces of aluminum I added to the outside, to anchor those pieces at the top.






__________________

__________________
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #32
2007 WildCat 32QBBS
 
05CrewDually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,771
Does anyone remember how much weight they rated the ramp to hold when loading?
__________________

__________________
*Current: 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 diesel 4x4*
*Retired: 1987 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.9 turbo diesel
2007 Forest River WildCat 32QBBS
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
wyo700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 892
If I remember right my ramp is rated for 3000 pounds. I load a 1500 pound sidexside on mine and haven't seen any issue yet.
__________________
2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:31 PM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 69
I carry 3 motorcycles - none heavier than 500 pounds. Weight was not a factor regarding the door failures I had. If you look close at the pictures above, you can see that the door is bending in the opposite direction than what you would expect if there was a load on the door.

__________________
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #35
2007 WildCat 32QBBS
 
05CrewDually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I carry 3 motorcycles - none heavier than 500 pounds. Weight was not a factor regarding the door failures I had. If you look close at the pictures above, you can see that the door is bending in the opposite direction than what you would expect if there was a load on the door.

Don't take my question the wrong way. I am asking for my own knowledge for the future hauling my own "toys".
__________________
*Current: 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 diesel 4x4*
*Retired: 1987 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.9 turbo diesel
2007 Forest River WildCat 32QBBS
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 69
FWIW, I removed one of the 6 springs on the ramp door. There is no appreciable difference in the effort to raise and lower the door with one less spring.
__________________
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Don't take my question the wrong way. I am asking for my own knowledge for the future hauling my own "toys".

If your door is rated like mine, the total weight is 3000 pounds and the max weight on any one wheel is 1000 pound. I think the "patio" limit is 1500 pounds.
__________________
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #38
2007 WildCat 32QBBS
 
05CrewDually's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
If your door is rated like mine, the total weight is 3000 pounds and the max weight on any one wheel is 1000 pound. I think the "patio" limit is 1500 pounds.
I don't even have a door yet! I'm asking for the future when I buy one eventually.
__________________
*Current: 2005 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.0 diesel 4x4*
*Retired: 1987 F350 Crew Cab Dually 6.9 turbo diesel
2007 Forest River WildCat 32QBBS
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Homebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Here are some pics of the pieces I made and how they fit on the door. So far, I haven't drilled any new holes through the door. I have drilled some holes on the side pieces of aluminum trim, but they do not go through to the outside. I am undecided about drilling a holes through the door, and the 4 pieces of aluminum I added to the outside, to anchor those pieces at the top.







Nice job ! I don't have a patio ramp but starting to see the twisting at the corner starting. Your corner plates look like they could solve the issue, but bolts may need to go all the way through.



Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
XLR Thunderbolt 300X12HP
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 69
The 5 number 14 x 3/4 self drilling screws I used on the corner plates are STRONG. I like them because I avoided drilling holes through the door.

I wish it was easier to remove springs. I'd remove the one in the center (giving me 4). If I can get the end of the door on the ground, without too much pressure on the hinges from the springs, and still be able to raise and lower the door by myself, I would be very happy.

A current unknown is how much the springs will "give up" with use. Here's how my door hangs with 5 new springs...
__________________

__________________
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.