Old 05-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #51

It is my understanding that the ramp is constructed with 1/16" fiberglass bonded to about 1/4" (7/64"?) Plywood and 1" of Styrofoam. The vinyl anti-skid is glued to the foam. The foam appears to be in two pieces. Besides the aluminum trim you can see there is a hidden extruded aluminum channel around the perimeter only. At least that is my ramp. WW

Old 05-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #52

There has to be something more dense than foam under the non skid. If it were just foam it would have tire tracks from compression in very short order,and the frameing would print thru.Also if it IS foam,why the hell does it wiegh 500#?

Old 05-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #53

Here is what I believe a cross section of the door would look like:

FWIW, I think the door skin is as Wolf Whistle said, "constructed with 1/16" fiberglass bonded to about 1/4" (7/64"?) Plywood." The skin is glued to the foam to make a sandwich (I like the sandwich analogy better than the I-beam analogy). The door sandwich is lined around the edge with the aluminum extrusion. Per the Lippert Engineer, the aluminum extrusions are joined at the corners with a "glued in key".

I don't have an issue with the door construction. My problems are the way the door is hinged and the springs used at the hinge line to make the door easier to raise and lower.

Using springs at the bottom of the door exerts tremendous pressure on a small section of the door. The pressure is enough to distort the door when it is new. The distortion gets worse with use.

Contributing to the problem is the fact that the hinges are very short.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #54

I would have thought that spreading the springs force across a broader surface area would have been considered in their design. Or was it just planned failure.
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpence1 View Post
I would have thought that spreading the springs force across a broader surface area would have been considered in their design. Or was it just planned failure.
After awhile you'll learn the LCI is the same as POS
Old 05-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #56

I don't think you can blame everything on Lippert. XLR doesn't seem to know or care about the problems customers are having with parts supplied by auxiliary manufacturers. The XLR rep I have been talking to acts like I am the first person ever to have issues with their ramp door. Even worse, they are still using the same door on new trailers. Here is picture of the ramp door for a 2016 toyhauler listed on RVtrader for 106,000.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #57

I only have two springs on my door (2017 29 hfs hyperlite) others have more, either the two springs are real strong or the door is real light. I'll keep an eye on it see what happens. With only two springs it seems to be putting a lot of stress in a smaller area.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #58

I removed one of 6 springs. My door still goes up and down easily with 5 springs. I'd like to take another one off but it get complicated. The lower half of the hinge is attached with security torx head bolts. That is some interesting decision making to use security torx head bolts on 1/2 of a hinge.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #59

Forest river does play a big part in this by the fact they know of issues and do nothing and or keep using the same supplier . LCI is still POS and FR should should look elsewhere and or have them redesign the ramp door . but we both know as long as they get away withh it nothing will change only a few warranty issues will not force them to fix . would need failures on a majority of doors
Old 05-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #60

I took 2 more springs off this morning. The door come with 6 springs. I am now down to 3. The door still is easy to raise and lower. With 3 springs, the door will go all the way to the ground when opened. Note that the 3 springs are on hinges where I add a piece to spread the load of the spring. I have a lot off confidence that this door will not fail like the others.

Tags
door