Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #1

Rand McNally

Has anyone used the Garmin 760LMT? I have the Rand McNally 7725 and this is the last trip it will ever be used on. Matter of fact it doesn't even get to finish trip....

Before I spend any more money on an RV designed GPS would like to hear from someone who actually has one and uses it regularly.

Two big questions, if you have used one of the Garmin GPS for trucks or RVs.

What is your opinion of the Garmin?

Does anyone have the 760LMT with the wireless back up camera?

How well does it work?

well 2 and a half questions.

Thanks,
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm researching RV/truck gps now too. What happened with the rand McNally?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

I have been using Garmin for years. It is hands down the best in my opinion. I current use a Garmin 665. One thing great about the Garmin, is being able to program custom routes. This works out great when I use it on the bike, since we are most often wanting to take the most twisties instead of most direct route.

Btw, google maps has been getting better and better over the years. Once I get to a point that I'll need to replace my current Garmin, I will seriously be looking at just using google maps from my phone.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
TexGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #4

I have used the Garmin 760 LMT on my last journey, which racked up over 6000 miles. I bought the unit and have been pleased with its results and features. I still research our trips using the latest edition of the Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas (double checking). My only issue with Garmin is that their updates take a long time and are several GB of data each update. Overall my stress level is minimized using both the unit and atlas.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #5

I have used garmin handhelds and smaller garmins in other vehicles, I thought a GPS that would get me around things when pulling trailers was a good idea....now is like a bad day on golf course not so relaxing...

think I am about ready to go phone.....guess in the end there are only a few places that manuvering a camper is a pain.

Several people I talked to said they loved it, but I think they went to a lot of easy locations and weren't really using it for what it was intended.

the RM never uses same route in and out, today after it brought us in on one route, leaving it directed us down a route I wouldn't take a tricycle. took for ever to get thru, afterwards found out that the main road was just 200 yards around corner with wide open road out. we thought it was showing a better route and it was actually a route thru Hell.
Seems like it gets signal too late and we miss turns....
most recent it has tried sending us thru a field, actually showing a route that didn't exist, thru a grassy lot.
Then looking for a location it was three blocks off. The mileage or distance is way off, as I said earlier and it causes major headaches especially in these areas where you might have to go three miles to turn around. The worst one it was a little less than 1/8 mile off....

it doesnt give lane locations, just that a right or left turn is coming up, if does it is usually way too late to move. usually not a problem but in heavy traffic it is too late to find out that the far lane you are in opens up and now you need to move over two more

other issues, don't like the keyboard, it blacks out letters as you type, cant find a way to shut that off, I don't need it picking my locations.....two or three addresses we have typed in it has shown no location found..so we have to go use a phone or google to find it.

In my opinion it is very limited in what data it can access for location. It's like using a paper RM map. looking for road no problem outside of that forget it.

it isn't very user friendly as far as up loading POIs and other stuff to use on it.

at first when we got it I thought I might have made address mistakes or something simple....anymore we are constantly double checking it....

So on this trip my wife plotted course with her phone and I with the RM...major difference and her phone course would have been much better with camper here in town..

As far as using on interstate and major roads, it has been ok.

I hate to be so negative about it, but is what it is, not happy with it at all......Especially customer service, no response to emails and the phone calls would have been better off to a prison, at least they would have been more friendly...

for me it is no brainer, it is out of here, giving it to a relative I don't like LOL..LOL......Just need to find a replacement.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #6

I bought the rv760 earlier this year and have used it a handful
Of times. Overall I'm pleased with it but it does not think like I do all the time. Wants to take me thru tunnels which some I can't do with propane and it wants to take me different ways to places that I know I will fit just fine on. I just take roads that I know and are more familiar with and it will auto correct and update the route. No big deal but if it could talk I'm sure it would have a few choice words for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #7

My favorite Garmin is the Rino 650. Its great!!!
schwyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #8

I've got the Magellan RoadMate for RV. Great unit and it came with lifetime map upgrades.
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

I have been using the RVND-7720 for nearly two years now without a glitch that wasn't operator error..... I do update often and make sure that all my preferences (routes and equipment) are set correctly before hitting the road. Only times I thought the unit was malfunctioning, it was always a setting I had control over - like the car vs rv can be a real headache if it's set to "car" and you're towing a 41ft fiver.
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #10

My experiences with installing and using the BC-20 are in this thread.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
My experiences with installing and using the BC-20 are in this thread.
Garmin RV-760LMT with the BC-20 camera is "Da Bomb" (MANY thumbs up).

The reviews are 100 to one positive for this unit and camera.

Rand McNally; not so much...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #12

Our Garmin, can't remember the model, tried to put us in the lake. I managed to get the rig stopped, but came very close to swimming. I was thinking that in the dark water looks deceptively like road. Road sign saved us.....
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #13

Sure it wasn't Apple Maps?

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #14

I think I going back to old school....use a map and when needed print out from google or map quest for the local directions.....other wise let my wife command and control from her phone, direct us in....with it she could have been a FAC......besides if we get stuck, I can blame her and win an argument every once in a while....lol...lol...

truthfully these things are nice but they spoil us....I drive everywhere without it and only use it for the in town or hard to get places that i just don't want to think on route...
Old 07-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #15

chpence1,

sounds like you been to Lebanon, Indiana,...the road there drives straight into the boat ramp.......used to be a bike shop and little bar/grill...with a little camp ground beside it....at night no telling how many didn't see the sign and almost slide into Ohio River.... you can't see the water till you crest the noll and it is straight in.....
Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #16

Wow!!
Actually this event was in Arkansas. Greers Ferry lake and Old Highway 25.
Never trust GPS. .. 75% MAYBE if no water, snow, mountains, tunnels or bridges are involved.
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote