Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #1

Rear axle noise

I just purchased a 2013 27HFS XLR hyper lite. My wife and I noticed a very loud clunking noise in the rear axles when I was backing in the driveway. It sounds like something is binding up. I doesn't sound good at all.
I called rvwholesalers where I bought it and spoke to service. They said this was normal because the wheels pivot. The clunking noise is more noticeable when you're back up on concrete or blacktop. This doesn't sound right. Are they right or are they just blowing me off. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Retired08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #2

I think I have only backed my 27 HFS a total of 3 times, because it is on a seasonal site, but I definitely do not remember any noise coming from the axles when I did!
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #3

When backing straight there really should not be any noise. If you are turning while backing, then there may be some noises as the wheels pivot as stated. It could be the brakes are adjusted a little tight and are binding slightly when going in reverse. If this is the case, after a little break in wear the problem will go away.
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Have the noise checked out !! I had the welds break on a flange that holds the brake assembly in place. That made a bunch of noise.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also consider the leaf spring mounting brackets being cracked or broken where they attached to the frame.
I believe a thread went around about this not so long ago.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle