Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

Rear-end Bottoming out Prevention

We got our new 2016 XLR Thunderbolt 415 AMP back in January and took it on a few trips around the Sacramento area with no problems on bottoming out. It actually never crossed my mind until this past weekend. We took a trip up Hwy 1 past Jenner and on the way back, the rear end caught the asphalt on a downgrade tight turn. DW mentioned seeing other scrapes, so it was common for this turn. Very minimal damage, but it got me thinking that there must be a way to help prevent this in the future.

I found these Skid Wheels on eTrailer.com:

3" Skid Wheel
https://www.etrailer.com/Skid-Wheels...48-979023.html

2" Skid Wheel
https://www.etrailer.com/Skid-Wheels...48-979021.html

I'm wondering if it would be better to mount the 2" on the actual rear frame or mount the 3" on the 2 main I-frames right in the back.

Looking to see if anyone has any experience with installing something like this and if they held up the weight of these beasts when bottoming out at the end. Any other applications or advice would be much appreciated.

2014 Ram 3500 DRW

2016 Thunderbolt XLR 415AMP
TriChard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:20 PM   #2
Always Learning

Following because my Sabre drags regularly. I already smashed the heck out of electric stabilizers a couple of months ago.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:47 AM   #3

I've drug my rear stabilizer feet once. On pavement at least. They make great plow blades on dirt.

I want to get the rollers, I'd like to attach them to the frame if possible, I'd want to get just big enough to protect the stabilizers and bumper.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:17 AM   #4
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have read both pros and cons about adding the wheels, main thing, is that you will now have less clearance hence the height of the wheels. I have also heard by adding these you put an extra amount of stress on the frame by flexing it more by having wheels on it rather than just letting it bottom out. Just food for thought
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #5

I put 6" heavy duty skid wheel casters on the rear of the frame on The Beast. They were made for Class A motorhomes and work very well. Without these, I would never be able to climb my driveway without wiping out my ladder and back cap. All the skid wheels do are temporarily take some of the weight off the suspension when encountering the ground. They have never lifted the main wheels, so I'm not worried about frame flex. The skid wheel upper plates are welded to the frame and the lower plates with the casters are bolted to them. Easy-peasy if you have a welder.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #6

When we had our former Work & Play, a huge concern for me was dragging. Our ATV races were generally held out in the middle of some farmer's field and nothing was smooth out there.

So prior to purchase, I had the dealer install those 3" wheels you provided a link to. We moved the stabilizers up close to the rear tires and then they welded the anti-skid wheels at the rear.

I honestly don't know if I ever dragged the bottom for 1.5 years. Either I didn't drag it or the wheels did so well, I didn't notice. But having them back there was good to know. They appeared to be well built.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
I have read both pros and cons about adding the wheels, main thing, is that you will now have less clearance hence the height of the wheels. I have also heard by adding these you put an extra amount of stress on the frame by flexing it more by having wheels on it rather than just letting it bottom out. Just food for thought

I'm with you, if it must drag, let it drag!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I can see what you're saying but think of it this way....if the tail drags it's also un-weighting the suspension possibly putting as much stress in the frame as having a nice set of wheels to roll away on. For most, it could mean big bucks in fiberglass or stabilizer jack repairs at the most inconvenient time.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I can see what you're saying but think of it this way....if the tail drags it's also un-weighting the suspension possibly putting as much stress in the frame as having a nice set of wheels to roll away on.
This is what I'm confused about. Like or not- my tail end drags on a regular basis. Every time that it happens, a series of things occur:

1) my stabilizers take more and more abuse
2) the impact is transferred to the frame
3) the impact is felt at the pin connection to the truck when the camper slows but the truck doesn't

If I mount wheels back there:\
1) it'll be to just clear the stabilizers, so hopefully the net loss is only an inch or two
2) there will still be an impact to the frame
3) there will be less transferred impact as the camper will "roll" vs. tugging at the pavement

(NOT SARCASM- I'm serious.) I fail to see the issue and would really like someone to try and describe the difference between the two (again, if you think you already did it).
Old 04-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I can see what you're saying but think of it this way....if the tail drags it's also un-weighting the suspension possibly putting as much stress in the frame as having a nice set of wheels to roll away on. For most, it could mean big bucks in fiberglass or stabilizer jack repairs at the most inconvenient time.

Yes but if you drag and flex the frame and fiberglass sidewalks with no wheels then add 6" more you've just flexed your unit even more.
Personally I've had two travel trailers and 2 5th wheels all over 30' and the latest being 37' and never drug the tail, so I must be doing something wrong.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Personally I've had two travel trailers and 2 5th wheels all over 30' and the latest being 37' and never drug the tail, so I must be doing something wrong.
The layout of The Beast has a LOT of caboose extending beyond the last axle so I get tail dragging in and outa my driveway and occasionally in big dips in campgrounds. Bad design in my mind, but who am I to say. I needed them, else re-grade the driveway at $$ expense. They've saved my azz, but to each his own.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes but if you drag and flex the frame and fiberglass sidewalks with no wheels then add 6" more you've just flexed your unit even more.
Don't mount the wheels at the low point. Do a little geometry and mount them at a location where they won't contact until your current contact point is, say 1" from scraping. For example, if your current contact point is the stabilizers, mount them to the sides of the stabilizers and 1" lower (bottom of the wheel 1" lower). Very little additional lift on the frame and, as ep pointed out, a nice smooth roll will be much better on the entire rig than an extremely high friction drag.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #13

Would be nice to get FR design engineer on this one! Drug my rear stab jacks getting into a fuel stop, roughly $500 in damage to the electric jacks. Have pondered installing a set of wheels, concerned about size of wheel, 6 inches seems a bit extreme, 2-3 inches might not be enough even on the end of frame. Concern is would smaller wheels protect stab jacks.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #14

I've got a 29hfs have never drug but when I do the rear manual stabs go bye bye. So to me the issue is what costs more wheels or stabs. I could fabricate a mount so the rear stabs could be removed ... then I'll probably drive off and forget them. It isn't a problem so I shouldn't make it one.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #15

Trailers have a VERY bad habit of doing the tail scrap and having a couch as heavy and big as the XLR'S can be, you very likely to hit in some other bad condition again. I would go with the 3 inch version if you can make them fit (measure twice cut once) as they will carry more weight.
Hope this helps and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Would be nice to get FR design engineer on this one! Drug my rear stab jacks getting into a fuel stop, roughly $500 in damage to the electric jacks. Have pondered installing a set of wheels, concerned about size of wheel, 6 inches seems a bit extreme, 2-3 inches might not be enough even on the end of frame. Concern is would smaller wheels protect stab jacks.
Wheel size is actually not the deciding factor. Take a bit of string, anchor it at the bottom of the rear tire, then pull it back to the bottom of the rear bumper, with the string going across the bottom of the jack. That is your departure angle. Route it by the jack so you have a direct frame of reference.

In order to not cause undue stress on the frame and not drag more than necessary, you want the wheel to hang down about an inch lower than the lowest point which are your jacks. Pull the string straight while touching the bottom of the jack, then about six inches back from the jacks, measure down to your string. If it's 2 inches, then the 3" wheel would work fine. If it's 4 inches, then get the 6" wheel and adjust the mounting point forward to make it about an inch. Don't forget to factor mounting brackets in, which will account for roughly half an inch at least.

Remember, when level the wheel doesn't need to hang below the jacks, it needs to hang lower than the string. With the trailer level, it might look like the bottom of the wheel is level or even higher than the jacks, but so long as when you pull the string taught and raise it to the jacks, if it hits the wheel first then you're golden.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
I had a 1982 Corsair Travel Trailer I put wheels on the back and cut the skid plate off. I crushed the frame, The guy that bought it was parking it so it didn't matter to him. I would be careful.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I had a 1982 Corsair Travel Trailer I put wheels on the back and cut the skid plate off. I crushed the frame, The guy that bought it was parking it so it didn't matter to him. I would be careful.
Either way, you would have crushed the frame if you dragged it that hard.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Either way, you would have crushed the frame if you dragged it that hard.
That's what I'm having a hard time getting my head past. If you're going to drag, you're going to drag- how do the wheels make it worse (other than the slight loss of clearance)?
Old 04-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's what I'm having a hard time getting my head past. If you're going to drag, you're going to drag- how do the wheels make it worse (other than the slight loss of clearance)?
You are right... and they don't... IF... mounted properly.

Clearance is the issue here.
Adding 6" wheels to the contact point of the frame on a unit that regularly drags is only going to drag more often.

But... adding 6" wheels in a manner that they only extend down, let's say 1" more than the contact spot, will likely save some of the stuff you have been dragging off.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent