Old 09-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabama View Post
With all due respect, but has anyone seen that auto insurance commercial where the young lady asks "have you read your policy?" Bla bla bla and who cares. A warranty is an agreement to support the customers purchase, it is not a contract to determine who or how repair people will get paid. As a consumer that is not my problem, I just want my product fixed.

Upon Edit: wanted to add that my local dealer has dropped product lines such as Heartland because they had extreme difficulty getting the manufacturer to back their product. The Dealer is part of the package and not a bystander.
Just trying to point out fact . Has nothing to do with you. you have no guarantee things will get fixed or fixed correctly . the manufacture just wants to get past that one year warranty . they will band-aid fix things just to get you through . have been told by manufactures to do just that. once things change maybe it will be different until then no tech has any ob;ligation to fix your stuff . . I personally will not do warranty work for any manufacture . though i have done repair i get paid by the owners they can fight with the manufactures to get reimbursed .
If this was the way it was across the board the manufactures would up their game

Old 09-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #12

Don't buy and RV, problem solved.
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
Experience by Repair

Sad

Yes, have heard about the poor wages and poor manufacturers response to issues....have lived it for 13 months now. I think I am getting through the first big run of odd stuff. Hopefully I can just go and enjoy for awhile instead of cringing waiting for what pops up next. I don't have the patience to write the whole story as it has unfolded....

On the other note: question was about the 2 gas tanks onboard and if the generator could run on both... Well, I am not the guy who has looked into hooking them together, but I do know that you can use the 12v pump on "Acsessory" fuel tank to run extra fuel to the tank supplying the generator. Have done it a couple of times when generator tNk was getting low before I left camping area to get to a fuel station.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #14

Great to know that fix! Thanks for sharing!! I'll file that away as I have the same mechanism in my recline (I think) and although its working today, well its an RV. Nothing that works today is likely to tomorrow.

I tell everyone, that unless you are prepared to be a DIYer, or have a fool idiot friend who keeps saying sure I'll come fix that it sounds like fun... wait that's me.

At any rate, you need to have the ability to be an inventor, engineer and handyman to buy these low end RVs. And make no mistake, the XLR is a low end RV. You get lots of features for the money, and they do that by buying cheaper made components and lacking in quality control. So I fix stuff. I have a warranty and consider it the "for big expensive stuff only" because it will cost me more in gas, time and aggravation to get the cabinet door hinge fixed than just do it myself. I know this going into it and prefer to have the features that the low end Forest River stuff gives me over a Prevost rig with bare walls and selling my wife into slavery to pay for it. (I asked... she said no, then she said something about Christian Grey and said maybe...)

If you've got a dealer who will take of things quickly and without you jumping through hoops and is close by, then by all means go for it. Good for you. You lucky dog! But every time I hear of one like that I go research them and see reports of the same ole same ole treatment for someone else. It seems your mileage may vary.
Family: DH - JC, DW - Malinda, DD - Sparky the Wonder Chug (Chihuahua & Pug)
Old 09-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Don't buy and RV, problem solved.
WW
that will for sure do it . know when your getting into an rv you better be able to fix things yourself . Thought you were selling yours? I've got mine as long as it's needed while i travel and work . once done in a few yrs the rv will be gone and back to a nice truck mounted pop up camper which is all that's needed in Colorado and for me to do my month long turkey hunts in the spring and Elk hunts in the fall . if i wasn't living full time in mine i would see no reason to ever get an rv . Way to much for week or weekend trips . the pop up does just fine
Old 09-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
that will for sure do it . know when your getting into an rv you better be able to fix things yourself . Thought you were selling yours? I've got mine as long as it's needed while i travel and work . once done in a few yrs the rv will be gone and back to a nice truck mounted pop up camper which is all that's needed in Colorado and for me to do my month long turkey hunts in the spring and Elk hunts in the fall . if i wasn't living full time in mine i would see no reason to ever get an rv . Way to much for week or weekend trips . the pop up does just fine
To answer your question, I have thought about selling, to build my own toyhauler, but will probably hang onto this one for now.

I am on this forum for ... maybe too long ... and read about the high expectations and the low delivery of quality by the manufacturers and the lack of care of most dealers. None of us are experts; some know more than others. Hell, many of us know more than the so called RV techs. Buying these "things" is a bit of a crap-shoot, for sure. So, my "don't buy and RV" is meant to be exaggerated speech. Many would call my TH entry level and not even my first, but from owning it, I have learned a lot; and will be a much better informed buyer if there is a next time. The bottom line is we own this or that and we are pretty much stuck with it; and we have it without much support from dealers or factory. We learn how to fix and manage things on them, much from each other then share that with pictures ... Thanks Mr. JJ

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xlr