Old 09-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
Experience by Repair

Recliner trouble in XLR

Had a recliner that was sticky going in n out Would catch underneath and you would have to gently work it a bit to get out and back in. Had at repair shop n they told me that they are just made that way and we might get a replacement that is as bad or worse (didn't give a rats ***** I think). Had it at the dealership I bought it 2x and have it on an open ticket yet, I hope, as they never did solve it. Just another excuse on manufacturing and how we needed to "just work it in, it will loosen up over time". Well....OK, so much for help on the warranty that covers it! Brand new and works like crap. TODAY was the DAY! No more! Took it upon myself, and I am no mechanic, but have had to troubleshoot a lot of different things in life (thanks dad for pushing me to figure it out) and flipped it over in the campgrounds to take. Look....yep! Got it figured out in 20 seconds of looking n moving parts. Little tweak in one of the extension arms on foot rest, pulling some slack out of a rod holder that holds a pivot rod all way across. FIX...need a washer to hold against on back side of shaft so tweak can't pull off to side and hang up the gear on edge. Camping with little to nothing I used the top of a water bottle and some electrical tape to hold it in place...see pictures. Now she works great and.....hope some of these posts help other owners and the lazy repair guy (not all are, but I run into too many) won't let me put more than one image on so I will post all separate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	119579  

Old 09-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Experience by Repair

home made washer

Cut center out with pocket knife, then narrowed up edge so I could wrap tape
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	63
Size:	450.4 KB
ID:	119582  

Old 09-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Experience by Repair

Took out slack

Had DW hold slack out while proceeded to wrap electrical tape to hold washer on shaft....needed a hose clamp, but didn't have one in toolbox in campground. Need to have some spares....note to self
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	60
Size:	456.3 KB
ID:	119583  
Old 09-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Experience by Repair

Like a charm

Now it works as it should and I can recline next to my beer holder n see the TV😜
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	59
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	119584  
Old 09-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #5

Good on you JJ! It is a complete shame that sometimes the user/owner has to develop the fix for these thing. RV's are a complex monster with potentially thousands of things that "can" go wrong. Good dealers will exhaust all alternatives to fix a problem while others will assume the owner needs to just live with the imperfection.
For me, there is always perfection in making the exact payment so in turn I expect the product to be perfect in performance.
Nights Camped: 2017=5 | Booked=38
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Experience by Repair

Considering?

FL/BAMA
I see in the tag you are considering XLR....any questions? I
Been in ours a year and have more experience with a few things than I like but could give some pointers if you wish
Old 09-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ XLR Thunderbolt View Post
FL/BAMA
I see in the tag you are considering XLR....any questions? I
Been in ours a year and have more experience with a few things than I like but could give some pointers if you wish
Have posted on FR forum and got answers to most of my concerns. Still don't know how the Onan and Fuel Station tanks work. Seems there is a 18g tank for the Onan and a larger 20/30g tank for the fuel station. Different fuel ports? Can generator use both tanks?
Also on the two XLR models I have seen, the grey/black drain pipes were exposed on the underbelly and could be easily damaged... any comments on this?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #8

Nice work. Isn't it amazing how a dealer and their minions (people) make a simple fix so complicated without thinking? Sometimes a fix is easy, but they would rather guess and start ordering parts, involving FR, etc. I've seen a communication tech spend a day tearing a phone system apart, when all he had was a burned out bulb with a 30 second fix.
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Nice work. Isn't it amazing how a dealer and their minions (people) make a simple fix so complicated without thinking? Sometimes a fix is easy, but they would rather guess and start ordering parts, involving FR, etc. I've seen a communication tech spend a day tearing a phone system apart, when all he had was a burned out bulb with a 30 second fix.
WW
Can't blame the dealer for the cheaply made manufacture supplied stuff
also can't blame the techs for not wanting to deal with it as they won't get paid for it . flat rate is like that . that's why they order parts and make things seem harder then they are so they can get some paid time for their efforts . So unless you want to work for nothing all the time which turns out you can't feed your family if you do . you make things bigger and order parts so the manufacture will give them some paid time .Once the dealers just go to a good hourly rate for the techs and have the manufacture pay their fair share it will never change
Old 09-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Can't blame the dealer for the cheaply made manufacture supplied stuff
also can't blame the techs for not wanting to deal with it as they won't get paid for it . flat rate is like that . that's why they order parts and make things seem harder then they are so they can get some paid time for their efforts . So unless you want to work for nothing all the time which turns out you can't feed your family if you do . you make things bigger and order parts so the manufacture will give them some paid time .Once the dealers just go to a good hourly rate for the techs and have the manufacture pay their fair share it will never change
With all due respect, but has anyone seen that auto insurance commercial where the young lady asks "have you read your policy?" Bla bla bla and who cares. A warranty is an agreement to support the customers purchase, it is not a contract to determine who or how repair people will get paid. As a consumer that is not my problem, I just want my product fixed.

Upon Edit: wanted to add that my local dealer has dropped product lines such as Heartland because they had extreme difficulty getting the manufacturer to back their product. The Dealer is part of the package and not a bystander.

Tags
xlr