Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #1

Refrigerator question.

I was wondering how the refrigerator operates when driving?
I kept hearing a clicking sound outside near the refrigerator, the unit was on auto, the propane was off because I do not think you should drive with it on, but does the power from the trailer hook up work to cool the refrigerator? Was the clicking the starter at the refrigerator trying to light the propane to cool? The refrig was on auto. I guess I need to turn off the refrig open the panel above the door when driving.
I know before we up head out to go camping I hook up the power to allow the refrig to cool down so it can be cool with product in it while driving and until I get to a campground and hook up to power again.
Appreciate the comments.
Johm

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #2

Fridge needs propane when driving - auto switches to AC when you are plugged into an AC source not your tow vehicle

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:26 AM   #3

First off it sounds like your dealer should have spent a little more time explaining things to you. Your refrigerator works either on gas or 120volt electric. If you want it to continue to cool while driving you need to have your gas on and the refrigerator set to auto. The clicking you could hear was it trying to light the gas (which was not on).
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Most of us travel with gas on while traveling.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajean View Post
I was wondering how the refrigerator operates when driving?
I kept hearing a clicking sound outside near the refrigerator, the unit was on auto, the propane was off because I do not think you should drive with it on, but does the power from the trailer hook up work to cool the refrigerator? Was the clicking the starter at the refrigerator trying to light the propane to cool? The refrig was on auto. I guess I need to turn off the refrig open the panel above the door when driving.
I know before we up head out to go camping I hook up the power to allow the refrig to cool down so it can be cool with product in it while driving and until I get to a campground and hook up to power again.
Appreciate the comments.
Johm

I cant find what type of unit you are talking about? If you can hear clicking going down the road it must be a M/H or your a Fast Runner? Propane ON or Pluged in to 120V power. Your Profile page needs Info! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #6

Thanks, "the Wilson's" , your right, I was not willing to pay the dealer $1000 for a walk through so I am learning it on my own.
My wall through was about 15 minutes, and that was because I complained. Luckily the dealer is 1000 miles away.
In retrospect, how can a dealer rightfully allow a new camper to camping leave without a full walk through of a unit. I would have probably bought all the goodies a new camper owner needs.
Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #7

Just an FYI i have found with a couple different fridges. On Auto, when taking it off of shore power, it has an issue trying to light. If you turn it off, take it off auto and turn it back on, it will light right up. I dont know why it does it but it does.

Doug and Toni & Penny
2014 Wildcat Maxx T28RLS TT
2013 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42gears
Nites Camped 2015: 21
S1LV3R4D0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks, "the Wilson's" , your right, I was not willing to pay the dealer $1000 for a walk through so I am learning it on my own.
My wall through was about 15 minutes, and that was because I complained. Luckily the dealer is 1000 miles away.
In retrospect, how can a dealer rightfully allow a new camper to camping leave without a full walk through of a unit. I would have probably bought all the goodies a new camper owner needs.
Thanks again for your help.

I'd have done my own pdi right there on the lot and then directed them to the items that were wrong or not working.
Being a complete Newbie that may have hindered the process.
Likely they knew you were a 1000 miles from them and figured we'll either hose them on a pdi or they'll leave and we'll never see them again with any issues!
It is your responsibility to do a proper and complete pdi before that unit leaves the lot or well "it's your baby"
It's to bad they treated you that way.

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

If you had it on Auto and the propane shut off, it was just trying to light the burner but couldn't due to lack of propane. Better to just shut it off completely. If you have it on Auto with the propane on, it will automatically light the burner and when you hook up to shore power, it will shut the gas side off and go to 110v.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
Site Team

The dealer may offer you what they call a PDI for some fee, but even if you reject that you should do your own (PSI) pre contract signing inspection to insure that what you are paying for is what you are getting. If the dealer is not willing to allow you the time to do your own inspection ( with or without a formal dealer PDI) you should look elsewhere.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I'd have done my own pdi right there on the lot and then directed them to the items that were wrong or not working.
Being a complete Newbie that may have hindered the process.
Likely they knew you were a 1000 miles from them and figured we'll either hose them on a pdi or they'll leave and we'll never see them again with any issues!
It is your responsibility to do a proper and complete pdi before that unit leaves the lot or well "it's your baby"
It's to bad they treated you that way.

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Thanks " Turbs" for your input! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #12

Turns...thanks, I guess I will travel with the gas on.
Does the refridge use a lot of gas to cool?

Thanks
John

Old 05-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
I was not willing to pay the dealer $1000 for a walk through so I am learning it on my own. In retrospect, how can a dealer rightfully allow a new camper to camping leave without a full walk through of a unit.
They shouldn't charge anything IMO, ours didn't.
We didn't need a long one since we've had several units prior to our current one, but the dealer would have spend as long as we needed.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Turns...thanks, I guess I will travel with the gas on.
Does the refridge use a lot of gas to cool?

Thanks
John

Lol depends on how long you'll be traveling!
I don't know per say but what you don't spend in propane you spend on ice in coolers, and wasted space for said coolers.

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #15

Ok, you said they would do walk though with you for $1000? Is this normal. I've bought 3 different campers in past 3 years, never faced that problem.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #16

This dealer began selling intent pricing. The price was great,well worth the 1000 mile trip, but no customer service and everything was extra. The money saved covered the hitch, insurance and small trip to get it. I just know that if I was the seller, my tome spent with a newbie would have paid off with sales in my store. I would have bought a bunch of stuff but chose to go to Walmart once I knew what the program was....
Old 05-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #17

I love the camper, but it's the adventure of learning the systems that is oddly fun.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #18

I really thought the owners manuals would be all I needed, but they are often to broad and still leave me with question. Luckily folks like you have been invaluable!
Old 05-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #19

Thanks!

Tags
refrigerator