Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #21

I would like to tell you my experience with the champion generator. They are quite and the remote does work fine. But, there is always a but. My first set lasted about 3 werks before they started leaking oil. Took them back and the tech said the were not repairable. The dealer gave me a new set of generators. That set was in use for a weekend ( over July 4 weekend). I did the breakend as per instructions. By Saturday night the muffler started making a noise. Took them back and the tech said the muffler mounting bracket broke. ( at the cylinder head) . I traded them in on 2 Honda's 2000. I have never looked back. Been 2 years. Best of luck in your choice generators.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #22

DougP47

Thanks for your input . I agree , after giving it some more thought no sense wasting 1000 when it's just a temporary fix . the two honda 2000 are great units . but i figure if your going to spend 2200 . may as well get the onan for 2850. shipped . plenty of power , runs off the 30 gallon fueling station , remote start , don't have to haul in and out , or run out and start / stop, fill with fuel daily ETC
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #23

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1426267288.337089.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	71246

Champion 3100 watt inverter. I did install a "hard start" capacitor to help when AC kicks on. No complaints. Ran fuzzy when I bought it. Champion sent me a new carb no questions asked. Ran perfect.
Sturgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgie View Post
Attachment 71246

Champion 3100 watt inverter. I did install a "hard start" capacitor to help when AC kicks on. No complaints. Ran fuzzy when I bought it. Champion sent me a new carb no questions asked. Ran perfect.

I keep going back and forth on which one to get . i keep hearing good things about the champion though . if i buy then I know i can sell it when the time comes . the extra tank is a bit pricy . I think they wanted 249. for that . I have a honda 1000 i know i can sale for 500 . I won't need an AC at least not this summer . West Yellowstone is cool nights and even cool days sometimes .
maybe when i winter down south i may need it .
Old 03-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #25

The tank is something I made from an Atwood boat tank; and connectors and hoses I got from Walmart. I got the idea off a google search. It was cheap, the kits are not. The generator fires up the AC in the hot summer with no prob. I change the oil often. There is an econo mode tht keeps the idle down. With the econo mode off, the generator idles higher to take the initial hit when the compressor kicks on. I installed the extra capacitor to keep the generator in econo mode and STILL handle the load of the AC compressor. So far so good
Old 03-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #26

Thanks for the info . I'll look into used boat tanks . the fitting seem easy enough i assume a vacuum is created to make it work ? do you need to keep the aux tank higher then the gen ?
Old 03-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgie View Post
Attachment 71246

I would love to hear how you fabricated the aux fuel tank, your procedure, etc...we need a full write-up!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #28

Well bit the bullet . went the way i thought i would not go . Cabelas had the champion 4000/3500 remote start genset for $399.. just thought i would only use it when not in campgrounds , and will work on making it quieter . they do sale silencer mufflers for onan, and other gensets . or one can be made with a old atv or small motorcycle muffler ,
thought of also a sound proof box that would have louvered openings dricting the sound down . i'll come up with something . i know this 3500 is loud
Old 03-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #29

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...yeLmgzMi6-ZhRQ

Article on building your own generator fuel tank.......
Old 03-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #30

comparing apples to apples here are the specs and prices for Honda and Champion Inverter Gen.
Neither of these have remote start
Honda EU3000iS Model Info | Super Quiet 3000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators
Champion Inverter Generators
Cheapest I found them Champion $ 850, Honda $ 1999
What I read both were 58 DB Max, Champion 3100 watt max 2800 running , Honda 3000 watt max 2800 running Both should run a 13500 AC
From what I've read champion has fare reviews and I know most seem to think Honda is #1
I'm thinking about trying the Champion both seem very similar and price does matter when it's an item I may use for 1 week out of the year
Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
comparing apples to apples here are the specs and prices for Honda and Champion Inverter Gen.
Neither of these have remote start
Honda EU3000iS Model Info | Super Quiet 3000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators
Champion Inverter Generators
Cheapest I found them Champion $ 850, Honda $ 1999
What I read both were 58 DB Max, Champion 3100 watt max 2800 running , Honda 3000 watt max 2800 running Both should run a 13500 AC
From what I've read champion has fare reviews and I know most seem to think Honda is #1
I'm thinking about trying the Champion both seem very similar and price does matter when it's an item I may use for 1 week out of the year
Champion does have that in the remote start for 999. from what I've read honda is 2600 . maybe i read it wrong . either way I brought a remote start champion 4000/3500 for 399 . runs great in fact better then great . runs my compressor , welder and shop vac & 1500 watt heater at the same time and much much quieter then i expected
seems they changed the design a bit and have a much better muffler on it .
The good news is the champion is being compared to Honda and giving honda a run for the money .

you won't be sorry . Called champion and there sending me az jet kit for the carb since i'll be running mostly at high elevation and stick the other one in when i winter at sea level
Old 03-27-2015, 07:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Champion does have that in the remote start for 999. from what I've read honda is 2600 . maybe i read it wrong . either way I brought a remote start champion 4000/3500 for 399 . runs great in fact better then great . runs my compressor , welder and shop vac & 1500 watt heater at the same time and much much quieter then i expected
seems they changed the design a bit and have a much better muffler on it .
The good news is the champion is being compared to Honda and giving honda a run for the money .

you won't be sorry . Called champion and there sending me az jet kit for the carb since i'll be running mostly at high elevation and stick the other one in when i winter at sea level
I understood they had Champion with remote starter but wanted to compare them as equal as possible so their prices could be best compared. These were the prices I found to be cheapest. The muffler being changed is a plus toward making it quieter. wish i could have the opportunity to compare the two of them in person but I know that will not happen.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
I understood they had Champion with remote starter but wanted to compare them as equal as possible so their prices could be best compared. These were the prices I found to be cheapest. The muffler being changed is a plus toward making it quieter. wish i could have the opportunity to compare the two of them in person but I know that will not happen.

I have found the champion 3100 for around 769 , since i got the 3500 i quit looking . In all honesty i would have loved to have the onan but it was just 2451 more then the champion 3500 . I've got just over 7 hrs on the 3500 and it runs great . starts right up even on the cold mornings where it has been below freezing . the 3500 is louder then the inverter type honda and champions but not as bad as one might think . I'm happy with my purchase
Old 04-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Well bit the bullet . went the way i thought i would not go . Cabelas had the champion 4000/3500 remote start genset for $399.. just thought i would only use it when not in campgrounds , and will work on making it quieter . they do sale silencer mufflers for onan, and other gensets . or one can be made with a old atv or small motorcycle muffler ,
thought of also a sound proof box that would have louvered openings dricting the sound down . i'll come up with something . i know this 3500 is loud
I just wanted to follow-up on this and add my two cents worth. I have two Champion generators, actually 1 generator and 1 inverter. The generator is a 9500W that I use at home for power outage, hasn't missed a beat for the past two years, it is remote start as well. loud as hell though, and the tents don't help at all, if anything they amplify the noise.

I bought a remote start Champion inverter, model 75537i last fall for hunting. That unit ran everyday for at least 8-16 hours straight. It is as quiet as any Honda, and it is campground friendly as well. We had deer walk right by it. The remote worked great and the engine started right up when it was 0 degrees out.

When I bought the 9500W generator I could not figure out how to start it as the battery was dead and the manual was missing, so I called the 800 number, keep in mind it was a Saturday evening around 9pm central time. Received a voice message, so I left a message. 20 minutes later I received a call back. It was a gentleman that spoke clear english and new what the heck he was talking about. He stayed on the line while I followed his steps and it fired up on 1/4 pull of the starter rope. (had the fuel shut off... duh)

I am impressed with the quality, performance and price of the Champion generators and inverters.
zacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #35

zacm
glad i got my champion . i did get the 4000/3500 so not as quite as the inverter type but not nearly as bad as i thought it would be . and will have no problems using it when as that say boondocking . i've spent many a night listening to the rv generators at a place i fish that were way louder then this champion but for 399. shipped i could not resist . called when i got it and they sent me out a new carburetor jet for high alt no cost , now when i head down i can switch them out . so far runs great and I'll bet the 2800 inverter is just as good if not better then any honda .

Tags
generator