Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Retractable screen users

Does anyone have any tips to keep the screen in the track a little better? My one side stays in but the other tends to slide right out of the track and leave huge gaps. I realize it is not going to completely keep bugs out no matter what but if I could just keep it in the rails a little better it would help.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #2

sponge, I will take a look at mine tonight and see if I can help. My screen stays in the track so I would imagine that you have some type of alignment issue.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Phat Phrog

Hi Sponge! Our screen comes out if there is a good breeze. It looks almost like they trimmed it a tad too close on one side. We still haven't figured out what to do on that. Our biggest problem was the screen popping open from the bottom all the time. The magnets were just not holding it in place. When we were at the FROG Rally in Goshen this past August, the XLR folks added two more magnets and problem solved. If I don't come up with any solution for the screen coming out of the track, I may ask to have a new one installed at next years rally.
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #4

Hey thanks for that feedback! Mine is the exact same issue. It seems like if the one side would be just a bit longer I would have no issue at all because even with a breeze the other side never comes out. Thanks for input on the magnets, too! I have not had it pop up but it is good to know there is a solution out there. I might have to look into this FROG rally thing...it sounds like it is the best place to get help for my questions/concerns (though this forum has sure been a lifesaver).

By the way, I think the retractable screen even with the issues may be one of my favorite features.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge View Post
Hey thanks for that feedback! Mine is the exact same issue. It seems like if the one side would be just a bit longer I would have no issue at all because even with a breeze the other side never comes out. Thanks for input on the magnets, too! I have not had it pop up but it is good to know there is a solution out there. I might have to look into this FROG rally thing...it sounds like it is the best place to get help for my questions/concerns (though this forum has sure been a lifesaver).

By the way, I think the retractable screen even with the issues may be one of my favorite features.
I agree with you on that Sponge! I love the ability to have two living room type spaces too! It is nearly soundproof back there in The Man Cave too, so watching TV and hanging out, doesn't disturb anyone in the main coach area! And, now that the weather is cooling down, we use the screen a lot! (We are temporarily living I. Our XLR while building our home in the country!). We have a beautiful view outside when we drop the ramp! So being able to open the windows, turn off the AC, (although I have turned on the fireplace to take the morning chill out), open the doors and lower the ramp, are AMAZING in this rig! I LOVE our XLR!!

Oh and yes if you can make it to Goshen next year (it is held during the first part of August, you will not be disappointed! The FR XLR plant manager and XLR service manager worked on our rig an entire day, fixing every issue we had....for FREE!!! And,not that I expect anymore problems, but we will be going back to Goshen again next year, regardless! It was just so much fun!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #6

Hey that sounds great, I might look into that. 5 hours is not too bad of a drive and it sounds like you can schedule service. I am never setting foot back at that dealership so it might be a good chance to get any needed work done!

Thanks, and I dream of upgrading to the larger XLR down the road a few years. It sounds like a great setup!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Hey that sounds great, I might look into that. 5 hours is not too bad of a drive and it sounds like you can schedule service. I am never setting foot back at that dealership so it might be a good chance to get any needed work done!

Thanks, and I dream of upgrading to the larger XLR down the road a few years. It sounds like a great setup!
They do have some beautiful floor plans, that's for sure! As for Goshen, the techs actually come to you. You will have sent in a list of repairs or concerns, when you register to attend. (That list can be modified too, when you get there!). Then on Monday, the techs come out in full force! They will contact you. First they stop by to go over everything on your list, then return the next day with everything they need, to do the job! Unless its an easy job they can do right on the spot! It was amazing to see them all attending to so many campers! Here is a write up that RV Business did! On page 40 I believe it starts! Yours truly is the one in the ponytail! We were doing a pot luck dinner!
http://www.rvbusiness-digital.com/Se...eSet=20&page=0

Our dealer is like 600 miles away, so it is nearly impossible to take the rig there. We thought, and shame on us for not verifying, that a local dealer near us, could do our warranty work because they are a FR dealer. But, it turns out, they won't, because they do not sell the XLR's and therefore don't work on them. SO, going to Goshen was our perfect solution!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Phat Phrog

This is faster! Page 40 starts the article, I am on 41.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Phat Phrog

Hmmm it's not pasting correctly to the article
Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
Phat Phrog

Last try....Ha!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
I see....you can click on the little four squares on the top left, and see the page numbers you can select! Whew!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #12

Haha, I actually landed right there on the first link no problem! That looks like a blast! Yeah, i have a feeling warranty work for me is going to be a real issue as well so this could be a really good option. Thanks for the great info!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Haha, I actually landed right there on the first link no problem! That looks like a blast! Yeah, i have a feeling warranty work for me is going to be a real issue as well so this could be a really good option. Thanks for the great info!!!
Glad to help! If you go to the Forest River Owners Group website, you can sign up for free, and that is where you will get all the info on rally's and registrations as they set them up! Goshen sign up starts around January I believe, and you'll want to sign up quickly. Not for space, but for full hook ups. I think the first 100 get full, then everyone else gets water and electric. A dump truck comes around once during the week, so folks can dump!

Nice chatting with ya!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #14

sponge, Sorry it it took so long to get back. Our shop has been swamped getting bikes ready for a motorcycle run in Reno called Street Vibrations. Have been working late into the night.

Today I looked at my pull down screen. I guess I'm lucky my screen is in both tracks by approx. 3/8-1/2" from top to bottom. I did notice that the track is screwed to the frame from the inside. There is approximately 5 screws on each side. I was not able to tell if the rail is slotted in the area of the screws. If they are it might be as simple adjusting the track to take up the gaps, or maybe they did not install the tracks straight.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #15

Thanks for the feedback and no worries on taking a while. I appreciate it! Yeah, I definitely don't think it is quite that far in to the channels. Hopefully I can adjust it slightly as it is a great design overall.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #16

To fix the screen door so that it stays down, just loosen the screw on the magnet a little. Because the floor is not flat, when the magnet is tightened down all the way, only the very edge of the magnet makes contact with the metal plate. By loosening the screw the magnet will tilt and make full contact with the metal - then the screen stays down.
tmp1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp1356 View Post
To fix the screen door so that it stays down, just loosen the screw on the magnet a little. Because the floor is not flat, when the magnet is tightened down all the way, only the very edge of the magnet makes contact with the metal plate. By loosening the screw the magnet will tilt and make full contact with the metal - then the screen stays down.
Thanks for the tip ! I will try this, :trink39
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote