Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #141

Road trip Seattle to Ohio 2016 XLR Hyper Light 29

Another tip
For hooking up to ball and backing up

If you have 2 iPhone or iPhone and iPad you can FaceTime yourself

Put one on the back of you tailgate
Or back of TH and one in the cab

Voila a back up camera 😎
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #142

Only if you have good phone service. Had good reception in the open space not down the hill in the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #143

Yes cell service helps😛
Old 03-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #144

Good tip PH on facetime. I do have decent cameras on truck and TH. DW with walkie talkie keeps it simple for us. The camera I have has a microphone so I can listen to DW while watching her non-standard hand gyrations (inspite of loving instructions); helps. I've been backing around the place using TH rear camera, having destroyed a few plants in the process. Accidentally of course :-) ... I've also stuck the truck in a slightly muddy spot... If front tires are in a 2" deep rut there's not enough traction to get out; although unhooked WDH adds enough RAW to help. 4x4 if there's ever a next time. Quadrasteer would be a huge difference. I'm about 55' total length... Turning radius of a cruise ship... Or more.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #145

PH, is your parking spot up from your house? Pretty steep!

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #146

WW

I will be adding backup camera to my list too but the iPhone FaceTime works great - especially if your by yourself.

Yes TH is a little up
From house without quadrasteer it would be a night mare to get TH down in front of garage - even getting it down lined up from driveway at top was a pain w dads truck-- change out to my quadrasteer Chevy air up to about 80lb in air bags to get front jacks to clear street driveway angle and easy cheesy backing down --

Sure wish GM would bring back quadrasteer it's make towing anything so much easier especially backing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427637951.405601.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	72432driveway
House
Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #147

From TH parking spot to house is even more fun to get TH in front of garages 😄

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427638208.760630.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	72433
Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
From TH parking spot to house is even more fun to get TH in front of garages 😄

Attachment 72433
Nice place PH. How long since you've seen the sun at home?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #149

Yesterday 70 - we don't like to tell anybody but I've been riding my trike since February for the last 3 years in a row now and while the Midwest and east got blasted w freezing temps- snow - WA broke every high temp record for the winter and very little rain - it's been a great sunny warm winter up here ---- but if anybody asks - it only Rains in Seattle 😜😜😜

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #150

Quote:
Yesterday 70 - we don't like to tell anybody but I've been riding my trike since February for the last 3 years in a row now and while the Midwest and east got blasted w freezing temps- snow - WA broke every high temp record for the winter and very little rain - it's been a great sunny warm winter up here ---- but if anybody asks - it only Rains in Seattle 😜😜😜

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Your secret is safe with me. Youve had a nicer winter than us north Floridians. Please keep this between us.

I would love to see the Pacific North someday. Originally from New England and Canada, distant family ancestors went to CA during gold rush (long story) when G Grandfather was 3 years old; ended up in Inyo Co, then on to Florida at the end of the 19th century.

I suppose that family history has wetted my appetite for travel there and to see the land. I would love to spend time in the Sierra mountains, Inyo Co., as well as north CA and of course, to see the magnificent redwoods. Then get up to OR and WA and possibly into Canada before coming back. There is absolutely nothing holding me back, except motivation to get up and go.

I'm not sure I want to haul 9K# that far, and could cost close to $4K in fuel alone. I've considered a lighter camper for the trip, either on wheels or a truck camper. I have some ideas and would love to build a small trailer or truck camper from scratch.

I don't think fun is proportional to how much stuff you can bring along. There has to be places to see that having 55' of truck and trailer would be a hinderance.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #151

I did the camper route and wife not doing that anymore😃. I've found it nice to have a base camp at great location then explore from there - via truck or my Can-Am Spyder - I still tent camp for over nighter kiteboarding trips with my Spyder - I'm hoping to get to the redwoods in July and Yosemite in August and some day ship my trike down to Florida and do the pan on the Spyder have flown there several time and like it.

Hopefully gas prices stay this low all summer

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-30-2015, 07:39 AM   #152

Quote:
I did the camper route and wife not doing that anymore��. I've found it nice to have a base camp at great location then explore from there - via truck or my Can-Am Spyder - I still tent camp for over nighter kiteboarding trips with my Spyder - I'm hoping to get to the redwoods in July and Yosemite in August and some day ship my trike down to Florida and do the pan on the Spyder have flown there several time and like it.

Hopefully gas prices stay this low all summer
I wasn't thinking of this for long term. Cost wise, probably doesn't make sense. Saving as much as $1500 on fuel might not be worth the hassle. I was thinking about being able to sleep in the truck (camper or just shell) and take the bike alone in the enclosed 5'x10' trailer or pulling a motorcycle size tent camper, but would be concerned about riding that far, by myself. Sleeping on ground isn't for me.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #153

WW

I can carry a little more stuff on my Spyder including a luxury EXPED Megamat 10LXW sleeping mat - this is my must have tent camping item 😁 I put 30k on Spyder last year...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427725288.307609.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	72532Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427725326.893385.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	72533

Here's loaded 😃😃😃
Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #154

cool. You might just motivate me yet, to ride to the Pacific NW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #155

Or ship bike fly and ride - train shipping is not that bad - but if retired and have the time I'd ride - but I'm not retired so time can be a hurdle sometimes -- Let me know if your ever up this area - we could get some riding in
Old 03-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
cool. You might just motivate me yet, to ride to the Pacific NW

The west coast is great riding . did the coast from Malibu to Washington a couple yrs ago and ready to do it again . I a bit closer in Co so it was riding all the way
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #157

Updated install instructions for Anderson WD Hitch

Very impressed w ease of use of Anderson hitch - make sure your truck and TH with TH on truck - make sure they are level together before any other adjustments

Move adjustable ball hitch up or down to get level (I had to turn my hitch bracket upside down to get level)- this will save you lots of time - plus the hitch will be working properly from the start this way --- or you could do the way I did and really see how different adjustments made huge differences ( don't recommend lol)

Once level and hooked up install chains to TH make sure to put bracket as far back w no threads showing DO NOT TIGHTEN brackets --

- once hooked up to triangle plate and plate is connected to hitch with TH Jack raise TH while connected to TV - this will create slack in the chains - when you find your not gaining any more slack move brackets back as far they will go - - make sure triangle plate is straight per picture in install guide - make sure big washers are installed before nut( backside of bushing) then tighten TH brackets in place ---

Disengage TH Jack this will tighten chains (WD system) and torque nuts to 90lbs

If your front end still seems like it's floating (not enough weight transferred to front axle) - adjust nuts - tighten one thread at a time and drive to check

Or the opposite if you feel too much weight on front axle

Done

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder

Tags
light, ohio, xlr