Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #61

And our 29HFS is waiting for us in Ohio. Two more weeks before we can get there! Patience is NOT my virtue!
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #62
John513

Oh ya besides the Fuel Tank that was mentioned the spare tire is under garage to. Thanks R3Jones I forgot about that one.

Hey I'm not sure if anyone has researched the best tvs to use in a RV, but I have. If your going to use sat or cable it really doesn't matter. If your going to use antenna the Toshiba, Samsung, and LG have the strongest built in Tuner to receive over the air signals.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #63

I know I'll be adding a lot more insulation underneath , and on all water lines . needs to be able to handle a few below freezing nights .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:40 PM   #64

congrats on the new rig and safe travels back home!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:08 AM   #65

Thanks everybody for all the great input and safe travels - hopefully all your deliveries go as smooth as mine and we all can get out and PLAY HARDER😛😛

More to come made it Sioux Falls, North Dakota tonight

As I stated earlier my dads ecoboost is not being fuel efficient at all - like under 6mph 😮😮😯😶 did some research and taking to dealer in morning for a CPU flash - hopefully this gets the ecoboost back on track - the trucks has power to spare no issue there, no codes, but 4.9 to 6 MPH something ain't right ........

Hopefully a quick flash and on our way to Montana

Get out and Play Harder😛

2015 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded on order
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #66

Play Harder,
Sorry to hear about the poor MPG but hopefully the ford dealer trip will correct it.

Thanks for heads up on the garage floor and lack of insulation. I'm going to reach out to my dealer to see if anything can be done for my build. I don't have the fuel cell but the spare tire is back there.

How has the Andersen hitch been working since your final adjustment? Have you hit any "cross winds" and if so, how did the Andersen respond?

Thank you for all your info sharing....
Old 03-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #67

I like you and many others in this forum have experienced "the road trip" to RVW, your posts bring back many of the same memories. Watch out for raccoons on the shoulders, antelopes in the ditches in Wyoming and Montana. If you stop for a night in Des Moines, book into Griff's, for 35$ beats Wally World by far. Be safe and keep it coming!!
Calgary, Alberta The Stampede City
"The only things in life worth keeping are the things you give away"
North49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
Thanks everybody for all the great input and safe travels - hopefully all your deliveries go as smooth as mine and we all can get out and PLAY HARDER
More to come made it Sioux Falls, North Dakota tonight

As I stated earlier my dads ecoboost is not being fuel efficient at all - like under 6mph did some research and taking to dealer in morning for a CPU flash - hopefully this gets the ecoboost back on track - the trucks has power to spare no issue there, no codes, but 4.9 to 6 MPH something ain't right ........

Hopefully a quick flash and on our way to Montana

Get out and Play Harder

How fast are you towing and are you experiencing head winds? Head winds will REALLY suck the ole petrol.

My old Chevy 5.3L got about 9 mpg average in 6K miles, pulling 7000# TH with a loaded truck and scoot; I tried to stay right around 62MPH, but would let her have her head on down hills to get a running start, which seemed to help.

Cruise control no help at all. Out 29HFS THs are heavier and slightly bigger (taller) that my old one.

I saw a very unusual high of 11 MPG (tail wind) a abnormal low of 8 MPG, all averages. If you're looking at "instant MPG", fo-get-about-it!

I hope the reflash will help. Play(ing) Harder comes at a cost, but worth every penny! How funny would it be if your truck gets better economy than your Dad's.

Say hi to Dad from me, Clint

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #69

Scoop on ecoboost Ford F-150 w max tow package 12k rated -- expect to get around 5-6 MPG direct from ford dealership no codes found service looked it up in data base and that's what to expect when towing 8k plus - So ford advertises how great their ecoboost truck tows and how you get this incredible gas Milage --- what a bunch of BS - yeah it can do it but not at the same time!👿

Another observation

Ford truck did not charge my TH battery when in motion yesterday so battery almost dead last night - so check that when picking up

Should of brought my Chevy -Chevy Gods are laughing at me right now😳😁

#2 it was 27degrees last night - the gas heater will not come even close to heating this TH - will be contact acting FR about that especially w extreme winter package --- I know some have stated heater was weak but this is unacceptable -

They are plenty of bigger heaters 30,35,40 btu heaters out same brand that will fit in location no problem - will be working on this issue

Yes I can get Electric heaters but I'm not always plugged in and running generator all night is not an option at some places..

An the adventure moves on to hopefully Montana tonight

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #70

The fuse (and sometimes the relay) for the charge line is not installed from the factory on many F150s. It is often in a bag in the glove compartment with instructions on where to install under the hood. If it's not, $2 at NAPA and you're good to go and your charge line will be hot.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #71

Taken thanks

WW I have no doubt that my Chevy will get better Milage than the ecoboost ford

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 03-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #72

Quote:
Taken thanks

WW I have no doubt that my Chevy will get better Milage than the ecoboost ford

Get out and Play Harder��

2008 Can Am Spyder
If they aren't in the glove compartment or driver's door pocket, your manual will show you exactly where the fuse and relay should be and what rating they need to be. Too bad you already left the Ford dealer. They could do it in two seconds.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #73

Quote:
Scoop on ecoboost Ford F-150 w max tow package 12k rated -- expect to get around 5-6 MPG direct from ford dealership no codes found service looked it up in data base and that's what to expect when towing 8k plus - So ford advertises how great their ecoboost truck tows and how you get this incredible gas Milage --- what a bunch of BS - yeah it can do it but not at the same time!��

Another observation

Ford truck did not charge my TH battery when in motion yesterday so battery almost dead last night - so check that when picking up

Should of brought my Chevy -Chevy Gods are laughing at me right now

#2 it was 27degrees last night - the gas heater will not come even close to heating this TH - will be contact acting FR about that especially w extreme winter package --- I know some have stated heater was weak but this is unacceptable -

They are plenty of bigger heaters 30,35,40 btu heaters out same brand that will fit in location no problem - will be working on this issue

Yes I can get Electric heaters but I'm not always plugged in and running generator all night is not an option at some places..

Yep, the heater sux, to put it nicely. That's why I have the Heat Wave catalytic. Way more efficient than a gas hog furnace. It would take one in the garage and one in the front, cause they emit a radiant heat, no fans, which is really nice.

How warm did it get inside running almost constantly?

When in Destin this past Oct-Dec temps dipped into high 20s, I ran a 1500W electric all night and the Wave on low to keep it in the low 60s inside. This is with the garage door closed and sealed off (somewhat).

I would say if you are relying on furnace only, it has to be at least 35k BTU. But again, it is expensive to run. And, if you go this route, expect to increase 20# LP cylinders to 30#ers.

Safe trip and thanks for sharing with us.

I case you need it, and if FR hasn't changed it, I'm attaching a pic of the fuse blocks front of trailer (where the truck connects via the 7 pin), if you need it. Ignore the "letters" and the statement to remove a wire, they were there to help explain things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12v buss on 29hfs.png
Views:	656
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	72233  

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #74
John513

I have stayed in mine most of the winter and there have been some night/days that got down into the single digits. At that time the heater ran most of the time while I was there and had temp set to 68. It maintained the temp pretty good along with using two 1500 watt space heaters turned down to 1000 watts since I had them on same circuit. I would turn down to 62 when I left for the day so don't know how much it would run then. When temps got to and stayed in 20s it maintained temp pretty good along with space heaters. I mainly used space heaters to save on LP, and glad I used them cause I agree to the furnace is undersized. I also left the door open to the garage, but if you don't have anyone staying in back there you can close door and the heat will do much better in living area.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #75

the MPG seems a little low, but then again you are hauling a heavy wind sail...much heavier than a comparable travel trailer. I would have thought maybe 7-8mpg?? Glad to hear your hitch adjustment worked out and made for a better tow so far. Safe travels home!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #76

Quote:
Scoop on ecoboost Ford F-150 w max tow package 12k rated -- expect to get around 5-6 MPG direct from ford dealership no codes found service looked it up in data base and that's what to expect when towing 8k plus - So ford advertises how great their ecoboost truck tows and how you get this incredible gas Milage --- what a bunch of BS - yeah it can do it but not at the same time!👿

Another observation

Should of brought my Chevy -Chevy Gods are laughing at me right now😳😁

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder

When you open the underbelly to add much needed insulation you will see the ducting for the furnace most likely uninsulated . get some duct insulation and go to work . most the heat loss is from the ducts so by the time the heated air gets to the register it's lost 20% of the heat
Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #77
John513

That sucks your TV wasn't charging your TH, but it might of saved you from two dead batteries. If you leave your truck hooked up while you are using it, it will draw your truck battery down to unless you keep your truck running.

My experience with gas mileage is that most people want the most fuel efficient vehicle they can get. Smaller motor better gas mileage, but put a load behind its a gas guzzler. You put a bigger motor the gas mileage sucks all the way around, but better than smaller motor pulling something. I used to have a 05 Chevy duramax and I would get 18 mpg and around 16 pulling about 10000 lbs. Now diesels get better mileage anyways. Now I have a 6.0 GMC gasser and it gets 10.5 mpg if I am pulling something or not.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRiordan View Post
That sucks your TV wasn't charging your TH, but it might of saved you from two dead batteries. If you leave your truck hooked up while you are using it, it will draw your truck battery down to unless you keep your truck running.

My experience with gas mileage is that most people want the most fuel efficient vehicle they can get. Smaller motor better gas mileage, but put a load behind its a gas guzzler. You put a bigger motor the gas mileage sucks all the way around, but better than smaller motor pulling something. I used to have a 05 Chevy duramax and I would get 18 mpg and around 16 pulling about 10000 lbs. Now diesels get better mileage anyways. Now I have a 6.0 GMC gasser and it gets 10.5 mpg if I am pulling something or not.

If you have your truck wired correctly it should not draw any juice from your truck when it's turned off . a relay should installed that disconnects the trucks battery when not running . That's the way mine has been set up for yrs
Old 03-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #79

Ford's are relayed so they don't draw on the charge line when the ignition is off. Ram isn't and is hot all the time. Not sure about GM.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #80
John513

Having a relay in place is the way to go. My 05 Chevy didn't, not sure on the one I have now.

Tags
light, ohio, xlr