Old 04-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

All good advice! If you do have kids, and they are younger, I might suggest having someone take them to the playground for a bit, at least until the leveling, unhitching, and hookups are done. My kids all know to disperse or stay in truck until the slides are out(which means it's level,the jacks are down, and unhitched).

Old 04-05-2014, 04:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
All good advice! If you do have kids, and they are younger, I might suggest having someone take them to the playground for a bit, at least until the leveling, unhitching, and hookups are done. My kids all know to disperse or stay in truck until the slides are out(which means it's level,the jacks are down, and unhitched).
That's good advice it always seems when someone distracts me from my routine of setting up I always forget to do something. Also when you hook-up to leave, I seem to always for get to lower my antenna or something. So now when we break camp my wife knows it better for her to take a walk with the dog. Then when she gets back she checks over everything again. It's all about setting up your own routine. Everytime I get distracted never fails I forget to do something. I remember one time with the antenna, I must have drove miles before someone blew there horn at me and pointed up. As soon as he pointed up I knew I forgot to put that antenna down. I was lucky no low trees or overpasses. I was surprised it was still up and didn't get ripped off. Now that can ruin your day real fast.....And I have been camping along time, but got distracted in a hurry and didn't do my normal walk around before we pulled out. Also if there is a line behind you waiting to dump, still take your time. I rushed onetime and didn't hook the hose on correctly, so it even took longer being the mess I had to clean up. everybody has there own way of doing things and after awhile it just becomes normal routines. My best advice is just take your time. We are supposed to have fun so have.......

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #13

I too am nervous about our first trip which will be when we pick up our CC 36CKTS next weekend. So thanks for all the posts. We downloaded an app to our phones and iPad called RV Checklist. It has lists for every aspect of rving. You can simply go down the list.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #14

Most importantly, relax and enjoy! It's the entire reason we all bought campers and love them so much. Great advice here on set up protocal, just don't get in a rush.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
2014 XLR 27HFS

Along with the above good advice:
1. Plug your camper into the house power (if possible) for a few days before leaving. Turn on the fridge so it is able to keep your beer cold during the drive.
2. Check tire pressure in all camper and truck tires. That is the most common cause of blowouts. I don't need that experience again.
3. Have printed maps or an atlas. In the really good places to go, a GPS may not work so well.
4. For the location you plan to camp (whether boon docking or in a KOA) find out the rules about campfires. If allowed, I put a bunch of precut wood in the truck bed before leaving. Sometimes the sites are cleaned out.
5. Have plenty of dry goods, water and beer handy.
6. Don't over pack. There are Wal-Mart's everywhere.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #16

Also remember to check your light harness after hookup...when doing your walk around before leaving and checking your sway bars and chains... to make sure your trailer lights are all working properly...and do a quick check whenever you stop for gas or rest stop....on our first trip out, we found that our light harness would partially disconnect whenever we took a sharp left turn, leaving us with no stop or turn signals working on the trailer...simply re-routing the wires took care of the problem.

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #17

you will always forget something after you head out a few times you will have your own set way of getting set to go. best i can say is take your time. if new to driving backing up a trailer etc. go slow take your time easier to recoup from an opps when slow outcome not so good if rushing
Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #18

Like many have said DON'T get distracted things get damaged or people get hurt.

Don't be nervous, if you are having trouble or can't remember something just ask your fellow camper I'm sure they will be happy to help, we all started pretty much the same way. Remember to have fun
Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 58, 2017 - 86

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #19

Here's a tip

Bring a Pad and Paper. Everytime you goto do something or think you need something. Write it down. Buy it on your way home and then youll be set for the next outting.

Tags
roo