Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #1

Rookie heading on my first trip

Hello,

I'm heading out on my first 4 day weekend trip in my
2012 Forest River XLR Viper Series 29CKV Toy Hauler Travel Trailer.

I'm nervous, as to when I park it what I need to do. What is the rookie mistakes? IS there a basic check list I can run through? Before I leave and when I get there?

Before I leave:

Do I fill it up with water, gas and propane? Is there a checklist to test these items? When do I use the generator, ect. Does the gas tank on the TOy hauler feed to the generator? I need some rookie advice please.
Diggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #2

Welcome and congratulations on the XLR. Are you heading to a camp ground with power and water or dry camping? Have you hooked up and towed TT before?

I always fill the propane tanks before leaving on a trip or at least stop and fill them at a location on the way. Not all CG's have the ability to fill propane tanks. I usually put at least some water in the fresh water tank just in case a pit stop is required on the way to CG. I don't usually fill it up as I can always fill it up somewhere at CG.

Yes, toy hauler fuel tank runs generator.

Once at CG, check out site is there any obstructions like low tree limbs. Back in or pull through. Level side to side with blocks if needed. Chock tires front and back. Level front to rear. May or may not unhook from truck. Run all four stabilizer jacks down. Install x-chocks between tires. From here it depends on the camp ground. Electric, water, sewer. Or dry camping.

From there I have a set up preceedure that depends on where we are and for how long.

A pre trip list helps. Beer, Food, clothes, wife's stuff, beer, chairs, patio rug, paper and pen to write down all the things you forgot .

Hope this helps.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #3

Congrats on the new trailer. There are some pretty good starter articles on the web and a wealth of info here.
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:32 AM   #4

I think Kaboom has said it all, you will find your own way of doing things. Don't get distracted from what your doing, like talking to someone that wants to help, just say as soon as I done setting up I'll be right over to meet you. I recommend only carry about 5 gals of water when traveling just to have some for pit stop if needed. Seems we make alot of them. Most of all have some fun.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
RV

Hopefully this helps-
Watch closely your tank levels and battery state when dry camping. Your battery will drain faster than it can be recharged by the generator. You'll learn to judge how fast it drains and charges. You don't want to drain the battery down so much you can't crank the generator. Hehe, been there. If you do, you should be able to hook the TV(tow vehicle) up and get the juice to start the genny.
Advice on you generator!- Use Stabil fuel stabilizer when you fill the tank. Number one cause of problems is old fuel gumming up the carb and it will run bad or not at all. ONAN generators have sealed carbs, can't clean em, have to replace.
I like to run my generator every three to four weeks when not camping to keep it in top shape. They will last forever if you take care of them. Not sure if you have what I do though. General theory applies either way.
Take the good advice from the other posts
Take good notes, I have a camping journal. Keep copies of campsite maps, packing lists, food lists, equipment, etc. I've been camping my whole life, last 15 in trailers and I still come up with stuff I need for the next trip.
A lot to get used too, but comes with experience. You picked a good place to start.
Tons of good folk who want others to enjoy their passion as much as we do.
Last thing, no such thing as a dumb question. Sorry if I ran on a little,
Welcome and enjoy yourself!

06' Sierra Sport F37SP
12' Chevy 4X4 LB CC 1T Dually
B&W Companion 20K
thrilskr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
Welcome and congratulations on the XLR. Are you heading to a camp ground with power and water or dry camping? Have you hooked up and towed TT before?

I always fill the propane tanks before leaving on a trip or at least stop and fill them at a location on the way. Not all CG's have the ability to fill propane tanks. I usually put at least some water in the fresh water tank just in case a pit stop is required on the way to CG. I don't usually fill it up as I can always fill it up somewhere at CG.

Yes, toy hauler fuel tank runs generator.

Once at CG, check out site is there any obstructions like low tree limbs. Back in or pull through. Level side to side with blocks if needed. Chock tires front and back. Level front to rear. May or may not unhook from truck. Run all four stabilizer jacks down. Install x-chocks between tires. From here it depends on the camp ground. Electric, water, sewer. Or dry camping.

From there I have a set up preceedure that depends on where we are and for how long.

A pre trip list helps. Beer, Food, clothes, wife's stuff, beer, chairs, patio rug, paper and pen to write down all the things you forgot .

Hope this helps.
you forgot to mention Beer

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
you forgot to mention Beer

That has to be the most important part
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
That has to be the most important part

I agree.....more than spare tire and wheel chocks!

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #9

I didn't see whether you have kids or not, but if you do and you use the sinks and shower like you do at home, your gray tank will probably be full before your four days are up. On most any trip, the gray tank(s) fill up before anything else so be sure to watch the levels.

Also, if you have a garbage disposal at home and are used to scraping food into the sink, I wouldn't recommend that for your camper. It is better to scrape or wipe the dishes into the trash can before you wash them in the sink. That keeps food particles out of the gray tank. Food can cause foul odors and may or may not flush out when you empty the tanks.

Speaking of tanks, it is a good idea when you get set up in camp to pour four or five gallons of water into the black tank through the toilet. This keeps a buildup of solids from forming below the toilet. Before you dump the black tank it is better to wait until it has a considerable amount of water in it (at least a third to a half tank). This way most all the solids and paper will flush out when you use the dump station.

Most important, have fun and don't let this stuff worry you. I haven't run into any camper police yet that come running up to you and say, "You didn't do that right." After two or three trips everything will start falling into place. And when you have a specific question, this is the right forum to ask.
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #10

Lots of great advice above.
I suggest you double check your hitch and safety chains before you pull out and then recheck them when ever you stop (add to check list).
Pre test your appliances, pre cool you fridge.

Take your time learn how your rig handles and enjoy the trip.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

All good advice! If you do have kids, and they are younger, I might suggest having someone take them to the playground for a bit, at least until the leveling, unhitching, and hookups are done. My kids all know to disperse or stay in truck until the slides are out(which means it's level,the jacks are down, and unhitched).
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
All good advice! If you do have kids, and they are younger, I might suggest having someone take them to the playground for a bit, at least until the leveling, unhitching, and hookups are done. My kids all know to disperse or stay in truck until the slides are out(which means it's level,the jacks are down, and unhitched).
That's good advice it always seems when someone distracts me from my routine of setting up I always forget to do something. Also when you hook-up to leave, I seem to always for get to lower my antenna or something. So now when we break camp my wife knows it better for her to take a walk with the dog. Then when she gets back she checks over everything again. It's all about setting up your own routine. Everytime I get distracted never fails I forget to do something. I remember one time with the antenna, I must have drove miles before someone blew there horn at me and pointed up. As soon as he pointed up I knew I forgot to put that antenna down. I was lucky no low trees or overpasses. I was surprised it was still up and didn't get ripped off. Now that can ruin your day real fast.....And I have been camping along time, but got distracted in a hurry and didn't do my normal walk around before we pulled out. Also if there is a line behind you waiting to dump, still take your time. I rushed onetime and didn't hook the hose on correctly, so it even took longer being the mess I had to clean up. everybody has there own way of doing things and after awhile it just becomes normal routines. My best advice is just take your time. We are supposed to have fun so have.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #13

I too am nervous about our first trip which will be when we pick up our CC 36CKTS next weekend. So thanks for all the posts. We downloaded an app to our phones and iPad called RV Checklist. It has lists for every aspect of rving. You can simply go down the list.
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #14

Most importantly, relax and enjoy! It's the entire reason we all bought campers and love them so much. Great advice here on set up protocal, just don't get in a rush.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
2014 XLR 27HFS

Along with the above good advice:
1. Plug your camper into the house power (if possible) for a few days before leaving. Turn on the fridge so it is able to keep your beer cold during the drive.
2. Check tire pressure in all camper and truck tires. That is the most common cause of blowouts. I don't need that experience again.
3. Have printed maps or an atlas. In the really good places to go, a GPS may not work so well.
4. For the location you plan to camp (whether boon docking or in a KOA) find out the rules about campfires. If allowed, I put a bunch of precut wood in the truck bed before leaving. Sometimes the sites are cleaned out.
5. Have plenty of dry goods, water and beer handy.
6. Don't over pack. There are Wal-Mart's everywhere.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #16

Also remember to check your light harness after hookup...when doing your walk around before leaving and checking your sway bars and chains... to make sure your trailer lights are all working properly...and do a quick check whenever you stop for gas or rest stop....on our first trip out, we found that our light harness would partially disconnect whenever we took a sharp left turn, leaving us with no stop or turn signals working on the trailer...simply re-routing the wires took care of the problem.

2012 V Lite 30WFKSS
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #17

you will always forget something after you head out a few times you will have your own set way of getting set to go. best i can say is take your time. if new to driving backing up a trailer etc. go slow take your time easier to recoup from an opps when slow outcome not so good if rushing
harleyrhdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #18

Like many have said DON'T get distracted things get damaged or people get hurt.

Don't be nervous, if you are having trouble or can't remember something just ask your fellow camper I'm sure they will be happy to help, we all started pretty much the same way. Remember to have fun

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #19

Here's a tip

Bring a Pad and Paper. Everytime you goto do something or think you need something. Write it down. Buy it on your way home and then youll be set for the next outting.
schwyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo