Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #1

running with electricity, do you put the battery key in ?

so storing my xlr27 at a place with power, wanna keep the fridge cold, do you leave the little red key out or leave it in ?
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

Leaving the key in and turned to the on position will keep power running to your circuits. Turning the key to the off position and removing it will isolate the battery from any draw when not connected to shore power for an extended period of time.
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

If it takes the battery out of the equasion does it not also prevent charging of the battery? And if it does would it be a good idea to reconnect the battery a few days a month to keep it charged?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

thanks for the replies. i just didn't want the trailer melting to the ground if i forgot to take the key out. I too wonder if having the key ON is the way the battery charges, i suspect it does ?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #5

Yes: 'ON' to use or charge the battery. 'OFF/Disconnect' when storing is a good rule of thumb...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
thanks for the replies. i just didn't want the trailer melting to the ground if i forgot to take the key out. I too wonder if having the key ON is the way the battery charges, i suspect it does ?
Do not leave it on while connected to shore power. You will burn out the battery. I burned out 2 batteries on my old trailer, checked with a tech and he told me it needs to be disconnected if plugged into shore power. It will overcharge the battery and burn it out. This is why they installed a inside battery switch on the xlr. My old trailer did not have one so you had to manually disconnect it outside.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
Do not leave it on while connected to shore power. You will burn out the battery. I burned out 2 batteries on my old trailer, checked with a tech and he told me it needs to be disconnected if plugged into shore power. It will overcharge the battery and burn it out. This is why they installed a inside battery switch on the xlr. My old trailer did not have one so you had to manually disconnect it outside.
I think you must have had converter charging issues .

MY camper stays plugged in 24/7 365
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #8

Quote:
as posted above, not so sure about this on a newer trailer. gonna make some calls to confirm but i just don't think this is the case. One reason it's nice to have the "off/on" key for battery is the co2 sensors will run the battery down if left in the "on" position. Or if you were to mistakenly leave a light on somewhere. Turning the key off just ensures you will have some juice when you need it next time. this is my thought anyway.. and how is it different in the "on" position when plugged into shore power vs. generator power ? the batteries have to recharge. how would you know when to turn the key off to not burn them up if not regulated somehow ? again, i'm no expert but thinking you should be able to leave the key on if running on shore/gen power
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I think you must have had converter charging issues .

MY camper stays plugged in 24/7 365
I also had a coleman hybred before the kz and the same thing happened. I just leave mine disconnected while connected to ac power. The rep at lazydays told me to leave it disconnected while plugged in too. He said it will charge while I tow it. Wish I could get some concrete answer here. I am really parinoid about overcharging batteries, I have screw up a few
Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Do not leave it on while connected to shore power. You will burn out the battery.
Not true.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Denver, CO

I believe, based on experience and some research that keeping a battery at the float voltage without being used or disconnected to "rest" may lose the ability to handle deep discharges when needed.

I always leave my batteries disconnected when not in use. Use them when I need to. Keep it charged, let it rest.

There is even some research that it is good to draw a deep cycle all the way down to 11.8 volts and then gently back up at the 20 hour rate (10 amps for a 200 AH Bat), but I don't know about that, seem kind of extreme.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Not true.
I agree
Mantisfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
The rep at lazydays told me to leave it disconnected while plugged in too. He said it will charge while I tow it.
You won't get a definitive answer here but I can tell you my opinion is
that a modern 3 stage charger like you most likely have in your new trailer
won't over charge a battery in good condition.
In other words you can leave it connected.

That part about it will charge while you tow is VERY misleading.
This is discussed here all the time! Several times a year.
Some think it will charge on the road. MY experience is that it won't
charge enough to make much difference.
See this thread about battery charging while on the road--http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ery-14926.html
Especially note my post 6 in that thread.

Finally, I've had great luck for well over 5 years using a little Battery Tender Jr.
I disconnect my trailer batteries while in storage. I do this with a battery disconnect switch. I guess that "red key" you talk about does the same thing.
I plug in a little Battery tender Jr and leave it. My batteries are kept charged and we were able to dry camp in Pisgah National Forest last season for 5 nites.
I did run the genny on the 4th day because we'd been watching a RedBox movie on the TV each night using battery power.
I'm trying to say my 4 year old batteries are still working pretty good.
I give the battery tender credit for that.
You can buy a battery tender Jr for about $25. For any battery that's in storage
more than it's used-- my motorcycle, my truck, my trailer, my lawn tractor
in winter, I use BT jrs. I have several!! I got 4 seasons out of my last motorcycle battery this way. Most guys will tell you they have to replace their motorcycle batteries every couple years.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #14

and not to thread-jack my own thread, but while plugged in during warm months, do you all leave the AC run on say 80-85f to keep moisture down ?

i like the idea of the battery tenders, not just on trailers, but on bikes, mowers or anything that isn't getting started and charged once a week.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
Denver, CO

The cool thing about some of the battery tenders is that they do "shut off" most of the time and only charge when needed, so that the battery is not floating at 13.2volts all the time which is what the WFCO converters do.

At least the current generation chargers don't fry the batteries like the older ones have a tendency to do.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
and not to thread-jack my own thread, but while plugged in during warm months, do you all leave the AC run on say 80-85f to keep moisture down ?

i like the idea of the battery tenders, not just on trailers, but on bikes, mowers or anything that isn't getting started and charged once a week.
I leave the a/c set at 85 in the hot months.
I have battery tenders on both of my harleys, they work great!