Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2016, 12:42 AM   #1

RV specific cleaners/waxes

Since my 27 HFS was broken into i decided to bring it home and do some repair work, cleaning, and mods. How important is it to actually use RV specific washes and waxes as opposed to the normal automotive ones? I found these at walmart and was curious if anyone used these versions as opposed to something at Camping World or alike.

And since the topic of using stuff from walmart is up, what about anyone using the water filters or having the electrical adaptors as a just in case?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160108_212618.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	97489   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160108_212639.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	97490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160108_212717.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	97491  
MotoCrazy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:05 AM   #2

Auto=1X
RV=1.5X
Boat=3X
Aircraft=5x
Difference=0X
jmo
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:33 AM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

I use the camco rv wash and wax, it seems to work good. This trailer is my oldest at a little over 1.5 years old though. I use it on the roof too. You will have to towl off the whole camper to wipe the excess wax off after rinsing.

I use the camco water filters (blue bullets) and scrapped my inside water filter housing.

I think i have bought almost every one of their electrical connectors and never had a problem.

I also get all our toilet paper and water hoses and most camping related stuff from Walmart....we dont have any rv stores within about 40 miles of us.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCrazy808 View Post
Since my 27 HFS was broken into i decided to bring it home and do some repair work, cleaning, and mods. How important is it to actually use RV specific washes and waxes as opposed to the normal automotive ones? I found these at walmart and was curious if anyone used these versions as opposed to something at Camping World or alike.

And since the topic of using stuff from walmart is up, what about anyone using the water filters or having the electrical adaptors as a just in case?
I'll use the roof wash and conditioner , and the awning cleaner , down here in FL in the winter the mold will grow everywhere if not careful to clean on a regular basis. i use the fresh water filters keeps the crud out and does a good job at cleaning the water . just charcoal filled . i use the liquid wrench slide seal lube . for washing and waxing i use auto wash and NU-Finish wax
Also lots of WD-40
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtation View Post
Auto=1X
RV=1.5X
Boat=3X
Aircraft=5x
Difference=0X
jmo
Timtation I Love the analogy. The industries term for it, MARKETING!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, your Wally World has twice the RV merchandise as mine!

I did remove the on-board FR water filter and we use the external. For the awning, I hate mold/mildew so always ensure it's dried out after raining and found the awning cleaner works very well. (I"ll clean it on a hot, sunny day when I can open it, get it nice and hot, then spray the cleaner all over it...roll it back in, and let it sit for an hour so so then open it and rinse and dry it all.)

I've always liked the Mother's Carnauba Car Wash and Wax for my vehicles and it also works well on the camper. For waxing, due to the extreme UV rays here, I use the RV, Boat, and Aircraft Wax by "Pro" (I found it on Amazon for $12 a bottle.) I do use a Porter variable speen polisher to apply the wax and just wipe it off by hand....it really saves times and saves having my rotator cuff ache for days!

For the roof, I really like the Camco 41602 Roof Cleaner.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
..... For the awning, I hate mold/mildew so always ensure it's dried out after raining and found the awning cleaner works very well. (I"ll clean it on a hot, sunny day when I can open it, get it nice and hot, then spray the cleaner all over it...roll it back in, and let it sit for an hour so so then open it and rinse and dry it all.)
Excellent idea for a way to give the cleaner time to work, CR. Many (most) cleaners need time to work, that's the key. Thanks!
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:56 AM   #8
Professional Curmudgeon

Use whichever wash and wax you prefer, as long as it isn't dish soap. The blue filters are pretty economical to use and very convenient. I keep mine in the refrigerator between uses.
Dog bones, or power adapters are very handy. You don't need one of every single kind, though, just what you are most likely to use.
Shopping at Walmart can save you a lot of green compared to RV dealers. Something that will save even more is identifying things that you can actually use, things you can make, or repurpose, yourself, and things that are intended to separate you from your money. For example, buy aluminum window screen mesh at Home Depot along with aluminum tape. Trim and apply to the insides of the water heater cover, refrigerator vent, heater exhaust, etc. much less expensive and much more effective than those screens sold at the dealerships.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #9

I was surprised when after a few weeks after cleaning my awning and not using it that the next time i opened it there was mildew stains on the under side . keeping it rolled up will not protect the awning from this , in fact if your at a place where it's very humid i would inspect weekly . so now after cleaning i check it rain or not
Old 01-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #10

I watched video using a 1/4 cup of bleach and 2 gallons of water sprayed on the underside of the awning. Then close it for a hour and rinse with fresh water.

I've done this 2 years in a row and no mild issues so far. Beat scrubbing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #11

What I've noticed is the cleaner beads up and doesn't want to soak in to work. Maybe not clear, but roll up to key it soak... unroll and rinse THEN let it dry well before rolling up. In FL it might never dry..

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 01-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #12

That's the first thing i did was wash down with bleach . now it seems it will be a weekly chore out here in SW florida . 3 more months and i'll be out back in the dry west
Old 01-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #13

The mildew capital of the world...

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #14

Hi here is a thread on waxes

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...wax-98292.html

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags