Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #1

Safety Bulletin

I have received a recall on my 2015 29hfs that wants me to replace my sticker on the weigh rating and cargo capacity which will cause me to loose 1300 + pounds of cargo. I purchased this unit based on what the ratings on the flyer and spec sheet that Forest River published. The recall had a number to call if I had any questions and I have been calling it for the last three working days with no response when leaving a voicemail. I will give them a couple of more days to reply before contacting the BBB and my Attorney. Has anyone else received the recall and if so have you had any luck contacting Forest River???
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Always Learning

I would contact the XLR warranty manager. I know that Sierra/Sandpiper 365SAQ owners got upgraded axles, wheels and tires due to their incredibly low carrying capacities. Maybe if you work with the warranty rep, you can get them to upgrade the axles at their expense (parts + labor).

XLR should be listed here:
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/D...nformation.pdf

Personally, I would leave out the threat of the BBB & attorney when talking to the warranty rep.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

Personally, I would leave out the threat of the BBB & attorney when talking to the warranty rep.

That is very good advice.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #4

I will and I didn't mention it in the three voice mails that I have left and I really haven't brought up the weight issue because I also got a recall that I need the axle stabilizers inspected and they may need to be changed out and that is what I want to know about before I mention the weight issue..
Old 06-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #5

My work team manage formal complaints for my corporation. We will do just about anything in an attempt to restore Client satisfaction. However, as soon as they throw "my attorney" at us...we have to turn it over to our attorneys. So, I agree easy using attorney until a last resort.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #6

I've recently became an owner of a 29hfs, but haven't received that notice yet. I too was banking on the cargo capacity because of the bikes I plan to haul. If you have a chance, can you post a pic of the new label they want you to place?

Thanks
TexGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Always Learning

TexGent, nuisance posted a thread that said FR is lowering the GVWR to 9,700 pounds due to lower rated axles being used.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
My work team manage formal complaints for my corporation. We will do just about anything in an attempt to restore Client satisfaction. However, as soon as they throw "my attorney" at us...we have to turn it over to our attorneys. So, I agree easy using attorney until a last resort.

I wasn't thinking that was why (more just the "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" saying). But, I do recall a manufacturer rep saying the exact same thing. It's out of warranty's hands once the attorney threat is made.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #9

So I need suggestions I have called the number on the letter 4 times and all I get is a voicemail and no return call. I am sure they are hopping I will give up and go away. I haven't even mentioned the weight issue in my voicemail and no threats either just that I would like to talk about the letter I received.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #10
Always Learning

I'd call the warranty rep for XLR.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #11

Well according to the number on the letter that is the warranty rep and when I get the voicemail she states her name as Diane and said she is the warranty rep.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #12

In situations like this it's alway good to have the phone email and contact person for all the folks in management at the factory. Just something to think about for all the owner groups out there. I know for the diesel division we have had them posted several times and a quick search pulls them up. Having a good working relationship with them helps at time like this. Also when is the last time anyone sent a email out just to thank them for a great RV.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #13

TexGent if I can figure out how to post a picture I will!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #14

We have also received our recall notices for the weight issue with new sticker and the equalizer between the axles. Our question is what damage will having the equalizer at the incorrect height do to the camper? Is is dangerous to pull this any distance? Why is the equalizer at the wrong height? Is it the wrong size because it's suppose to be on 5000# axels like they advertised the camper carried? Can anyone here on the forum explain what exactly the equalizer does and why the height is important? Sorry about all the questions, but we are a little frustrated with Forest River right now. We specifically asked about the size of the axels from our salesman and he said they were the bigger axels. FR manufacturing is not providing what they are telling the salesmen to promote. Sounds like a quality control issue on the manufacturing line. Somebody screwed up, but we the customers are the ones getting screwed. We are not getting what we paid for.
Campingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #15

Egladden, I post from my iPad and it gives me a camera button at the bottom when I go to post. Not sure if the website does the same :/
Old 06-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #16

Campingchick, I'm no expert, but I believe the equalizer basically acts like a shock system, by keeping the load on both axels. By raising it higher it would seem that is allowing for more movement and possibly more room to absorb the impact before it is displaced to them or the carriage. This is just a guess though :/

I still haven't received my notice yet, however I have my 29hfs at the dealer now for some repairs. They wouldn't perform this fix without notifying me would they??

What exactly are they saying the new weight specifications are??

I'm really getting upset too. Does seem like a Huge quality control issue!

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #17
Always Learning

The new weight specs is a 9,700 pound GVWR vs. whatever was advertised when you bought your camper (11,000-ish).
Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexGent View Post
Campingchick, I'm no expert, but I believe the equalizer basically acts like a shock system, by keeping the load on both axels. By raising it higher it would seem that is allowing for more movement and possibly more room to absorb the impact before it is displaced to them or the carriage. This is just a guess though :/

I still haven't received my notice yet, however I have my 29hfs at the dealer now for some repairs. They wouldn't perform this fix without notifying me would they??

What exactly are they saying the new weight specifications are??

I'm really getting upset too. Does seem like a Huge quality control issue!

Thanks.
FR is reducing the cargo weight from 4000lbs to 2738lbs because of the smaller alxes. There is a 2000lb max weight limit in the garage, so that gives you 700 lbs of cargo if you fully load the garage with toys. After batteries, genny, propane tanks, you don't have much left for food, clothes, bedding, etc. Not really what you paid for if you bought the trailer with the intention of hauling big toys along. I'm going to be watching very closely to see how this all plays out with FR. They advertised heavier axels, so they need to step up and fix this properly. Isn't this the same problem with the 27hfs in 2012?
Campingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #19

I just pulled up their spec site earlier. It is now showing 2700lbs cargo.

This is what it was......

https://web.archive.org/web/20140426...specifications

This is what they show now.....

http://www.forestriverinc.com/ToyHau...specifications

Big difference!! Your right, if I load toys and myself, I won't be able to take anyone else or any supplies. Going to be watching this closely also. Can't help, but feel I've been played a fool by forest river.

I'm not familiar with the 27hfs issues, but on the specs listed at the pages above, doesn't appear they were affected by this.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #20

New label sent to me to replace my original one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1401924382.996751.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	802.8 KB
ID:	54323  

Tags
safety