Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #1

Side Marker Lights?

Well slowly I have lost 2 side marker lights and have another down to 1 LED left. Only a year old so kind of surprised.

Wondering if anyone knows how the light comes off, does it stay with the chrome mount or is it just a changeable light lens?

Thinking a trip to the dealer is in order, sure they won't have any in stock.

If more detail is needed will go take a picture but believe they all have the 3 LED lights on them.

Part numbers for amber and red would be great if known!!

Thx

Toys-
Yamaha G9 Golf Cart
2010 Harley FLHX with lots of mods
bowtie_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #2

Had that happen too Bowtie. Lost the front two top yeller ones and a side red one. They too went out a bulb at a time.

Since we're under warranty, I called my friends at Couch's. They shipped the replacements to me with a prepaid label to ship the old ones back. It would cost me more to drive to a dealer than the lights cost so this worked great.

I used a utility knife to break the silicone seal around the lights. After popping the chrome trim off, there were screws. There wasn't much slack in the wiring and it was buried in foam insulation.

I scraped away enough to clip the wires close to the light and then used solderless connectors to the new ones. I also use electrical tape on jobs like this.

Reversed the process to put the light back on and put a bead of silicone around it. It's been a year and they are still fine. It took under an hour to do all three.

You can find them online (the number is under the trim) but if you're under warranty see if your dealer will do the same as mine.

Good luck.

Marty

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Dually Diesel
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

I agree with BHF, if under warranty, have them shipped and replace yourself. Its easy.

Wonder if water is getting in, or... OR is the higher than 12vdc charging voltage "cooking" them? They are not made for 14 - 15 vdc, so I read.

I just googled "side marker lights RV" and looked at images... holy moly there is a lot of styles out there!!!

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
John513

Same here, my yellows went out up front and did see moisture that was on the inside of lense. Led's are nice, but you have to replace the whole thing unlike just changing a bulb. I also had a couple of the led flood lights go out as well. On the marker lights the crome pops off and then you can access the screws and wiring. Tip for the ones having trouble with the front flood light. The switch has a boot to keep moisture out when it rains and water still somehow gets under it. After replacing twice I put a bead of silicone around the boot and havent had a problem since.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #5

thanks for the replies. I may try asking someone from FR about replacements. Dealer who i doubt ill buy from again said lights arent a warrenty item so basically your on your own. Trailer was bought new 1 year ago. A led should last alot longer id think.

Have been contemplating upgrading, canadian dollar sucks though so havent but that Couch's seems real good and sells to us canadians. Good for future reference.

Toys-
Yamaha G9 Golf Cart
2010 Harley FLHX with lots of mods
bowtie_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

Lights aren't covered on the second year extended, but might be in the first year. I wasn't given a copy of what is covered in the first. Surprisingly tires are.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #7

breezyhillfarm, ifyou had them off, what brand are they. I want to add more to my trailer since I travel at night alot
previous 2014 Sierra 360PDEK
previous 2013 Evergreen I-Go
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
breezyhillfarm, ifyou had them off, what brand are they. I want to add more to my trailer since I travel at night alot

Sorry Ghostrider, I didn't notice. However, I was able to locate them on Amazon by searching on LED marker lights prior to Couch's sending them to me. There are a zillion of them online.

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light