Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Six weeks and still no repairs parts from Forest River

Took my new XLR in for what I thought was minor repair of a few things. Missing window screen, door to bathroom needs replaced, refridgerator door face loose, window shade on backwards, and a few other minor things.

Well, they have had it for six weeks now. The minor things have been fixed, but the Dealer says they are waiting on parts from Forest River. A door and a window screen??? Next week the dealer will have had my trailer longer than I did.

Guess it is time to start making my own calls to FR.
Steve7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Site Team

I had the same issue and come to find out the dealer hadn't even contacted FR about the parts. When I confronted them about it they told me they were waiting to get a large enough order to pay to ship it. I'd call FR but dont' expect a lot until you get the right person.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama rambler View Post
i'd call fr but dont' expect a lot until you get the right person.

sad!!!!!

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Site Team

it's been my experience from myself and reading from others, that it's usually the dealer's fault, not the manufacturer.
not saying FR doesnt' drop the ball sometimes but that it's the dealer hiding their own incompetence.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #5

I dont know if I should by a toy hauler from this company !!!!
Securityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #6

My Roo 19 has been at the dealer for 16 weeks for repairs I would have made myself if it wasn't under warranty. I have contacted them several times but they still cannot give me an idea of when they will be done. My next day off I think I am going to steal it back and just fix it.
electrician549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #7

I've had a couple minor issues with my new unit, but I learned a long time ago it's far better to fix the minor stuff and keep going. Parts cost me a few bucks, but far better than the aggrevation of hauling it back to the dealer.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #8

First of all, you would think shipping cost is Forest River responsibility as they are the warrantor. The dealer is an independent agent contracted with Forest River to conduct sales and service. It is possible that the arrangement between the dealer and Forest River does require the dealer to pay shipping. If the dealer is truly responsible for shipping, then he is stalling to increase his profit margin as the dealer is paid for the warranty work. Rather than pay a commercial shipper such as UPS, he is probably waiting on a trailer to be delivered to his lot from Forest River whereas your door and screen will be with it (free shipping – increased profit), which is more likely the case since it has been 6 weeks.

In these cases, the bottom line is that the dealer is passing his problem to the customer. There should be a reasonable expectation as to the time a repair will take to complete and the product returned to the customer.

It is dealers who operate in this fashion who give an otherwise good product a bad reputation. That does not only apply to the RV industry, it applies to all businesses. There is always somebody anxious and willing to pass their problem to somebody else. If you think I am kidding, attend some small claim court hearings in your locale.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #9

We've been waiting on new back cushions for our couch for 8 months. They were delivered in late August, but were damaged, so they had to order them again. I've called our dealer numerous times and I've also contacted Forest River and they say they're aware of the warranty issue and that Flair Interiors is responsible for this component. Of course, in this time, Rockwood has changed the interior fabrics and the one we have is no longer in the catalog, so now I'm worried as to whether we can even GET replacements. I'm wondering if they'll just sweep this under the rug if I don't keep bugging them about it? It's not a huge deal, but we paid a lot of money for this TT and the stitching on the cushions is unacceptable. Guess it's time for another call to the dealer.....
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #10

Many times dealers will have their parts orders shipped inside a unit coming to them. Free shipping as it were. This time of year few units shipping so no parts. Fix it your self or camp out at the dealers until it is fixed. Or tell them you want cash and you will fix it yourself!
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #11

The parts have finally arrived. To be installed next week. Total of seven weeks for truly minor repairs and parts.. Imagine if a car manufacturer/dealer had your car that long. Anyway, it will be good to have it back home.
Steve7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #12

Delayed parts or service

I'm interested to know how many of you bought your camper from the dealer that is fixing it???? If I didn't buy from the dealer i would be suspicious of the "if you don't buy it from me I will let it sit back there for a few weeks" pitch. Thats what I got when we were looking a the the Open Ranges. Bad bad dealer.
carsonizik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonizik3
I'm interested to know how many of you bought your camper from the dealer that is fixing it???? If I didn't buy from the dealer i would be suspicious of the "if you don't buy it from me I will let it sit back there for a few weeks" pitch. Thats what I got when we were looking a the the Open Ranges. Bad bad dealer.
When we asked a particular dealer if he would service our unit if we purchased our TT from RV Wholesalers, he didn't come right out and say "no" but he did say we'd go to the bottom of the list and he would get their "preferred" customers in first. We crossed that one off of our list, even though we didn't 't buy from them, nor RV Wholesalers.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator

When we asked a particular dealer if he would service our unit if we purchased our TT from RV Wholesalers, he didn't come right out and say "no" but he did say we'd go to the bottom of the list and he would get their "preferred" customers in first. We crossed that one off of our list, even though we didn't 't buy from them, nor RV Wholesalers.
This is just a sad that Forest River knows this happens and doesn't do anything about it. I am a sales manager and I deal with distributors all day that carry and sell my companies products. If I ever had a customer tell me this was happening I would be having a stern talk with that dealer if it continued I would pull their discount. If they continue this practice then it would be time to find a new distributor who is willing to represent the product the way it should be.

John
2009 Silverado w/5000 lbs airbags and P3 controller.
2013 Rockwood 2702SS
US Army Veteran
Glockfanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockfanjohn View Post
This is just a sad that Forest River knows this happens and doesn't do anything about it. I am a sales manager and I deal with distributors all day that carry and sell my companies products. If I ever had a customer tell me this was happening I would be having a stern talk with that dealer if it continued I would pull their discount. If they continue this practice then it would be time to find a new distributor who is willing to represent the product the way it should be.

It mentions this right in the FR brochures. This subject is not new and always draws the same responses. People don't have an issue going to whatever dealer to buy a new RV and then expect the place they shunned to bend over and give them preferred customer service???? Say what, these places do not get paid even close to what they have to put into a repair most times and when they sell the unit that is factored into the selling price. Joe schmoe comes in off the street and has never spent a cent in this place and thinks the dealer should lose money fixing his RV, yep thats how a good business case works. And to say ya I won't ever buy anything there, well you already proved you would not buy there when you went else where and bought the one thing the dealer makes the most on because selling you a septic hose or the like will pay his staff. When we had our Edgewater it had to go in to have the lino repaired after winter one, it took the dealer most of a day to repair the floor and they got paid 3hrs labour by Sunnybrooke RV. We bought from them so they had a pot already from us, but along comes 10 other people who just had to save money and expect that dealer to fix an RV and lose that $$$. Sure that works to pay their bills.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #16

I don't buy your reasoning..... If I'm foolish enough as a business owner to accept a loosing deal such as you describe, why should my customers pay the bill?

I work with mfg's all the time on warranty issues. I certainly would not take this work if it did not make sense...i.e. make me money.

The real issue here is poor workmanship by the service provider. They may have a set price from the RV mfg for certain repairs, and cut corners to make a buck because they do not know how to conduct the repair properly and within the time frame allowed.

For those dealerships which turn down, or discourage service work depending on weather you purchased from them or not....bad business move. Is not paying work, paying work? I sell equipment, and also service equipment. I could care less if my customers bought from me or not. A paying customer makes the wheel go around. I like my wheels turning.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
Site Team

with the advent of dealers like RVW or RVDirect and other high volume RV dealers that have a big presence on the internet, these attitudes have become more and more common.
and not just FR dealers. i know of many who bought other brands from RVW or RVDirect and were told the same thing by other dealers.

i have no problem a dealer servicing units they sold, ahead of me, but i do have a problem with dealers that flat-out refuse to do any kind of service, just because you didn't buy from them.
back when i was shopping in '06, i had 3 NorCal Rockwood Roo dealers threaten me with this attitude. one in Sacramento was the nastiest about it.

it was their attitude and greed that pushed me into buying from a dealer in Chicago. FR helped me find a local FR popup dealer that was willing to do the warranty work and they were in my hometown.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #18

Fact of the matter is....the dealers invoice for customer paid work at 110$hr and for warranty at a negotiated rate about 1/3. Sounds like the medical industry...Chasing seat cushions or molding issues does not generate any cash to pay the technician doing the work, and you can't change the low interest level by the seller.
If their is something significant, turning the unit over should be accompanied by the owners interest in following up every three or four days. Any part can be sourced and delivered in that time frame if their is active work in resolving the claim. For the owner to wait several weeks between followup contacts is full justification to leave that unit on the bottom of the list.
I just received my unit back from Fores River and am very pleased by the way they stood behind the product. Reasons for the recall were significant, beyond the scope of the dealer capability and resolved completely.
The small stuff I fix myself, its cheaper than driving the unit to the dealer and less frustrating
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #19

I bought 2 pot lights for my minilite before the winter in october. They were shipped from forest river to my dealer. It took about a month to get them. One was defective and had to be returned to forest river for exchange. They shipped one that the dealer checked before calling me to pick up. This one also was defective and had to be returned to forest river. As it is now almost March I am still waiting for my new fixture!My next step is That I will take it apart and repair the bad contact myself.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote