Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #1

Spring Cleaning

With all the unseasonal warm weather in the Midwest this March, it got me excited to get the camper out of storage. I planned ahead to take today off and sure enough mother nature reminded me that it's still technically winter here in MN (35F and flurries...) I still brought the camper home for the weekend to dewinterize it and start installing some of my purchases over the winter (i.e. Turbs awning poles...).

The first task was just getting the TH home from the storage lot (~1 mile from home...). Unlike the popup I had for years, I needed to remember to bring a battery so the power tongue would work (don't miss the manual crank up/down...). Once I was back home, did a quick walk around and found one of the fenders had a nice stress crack around one of the screws. Will be calling my dealer for this warrenty item. Next was a tour on the underside to see if any little critters had tried (or made...) their way into the camper. I was happy to see all the work closing off any gaps (no matter how small...) seemed to do the job. No holes or scratch marks. (never had an issue with popup in this same storage lot but you just never know..).

Next task was to get the TH hooked up at home. Started with reinstalling the two batteries up front and then connecting shore power. I was able to use one of my "winter" purchases (a new 90degree dog bone...). It was nice to finally use something I had paid for months ago. With power, I turned on the lights and did a walk around (opening every cabinet...) to see if any little critters had come in some other way. Happy to report, no evidence of any winter guests...

Now I could start on actually working on things. I unscrewed all the access panels and double checked all the water connections to ensure I would not have any leaks while I was dewinterizing/santizing. I also started up an electric heater to help ensure I had no freezing items over night (remember it's currently in the mid 30's with a forecast of 29 overnight but it's a toasty 55 inside...). I also turned on the heat pads for the tanks (have the so called "extreme package"...). With everything in place, I hooked up my white/drinking hoses and added the 1/4 cup of bleach per 15gl recommendation from the manual and others online. Pouring the bleach into the hose is pretty easy with a cheap (brand new...) funnel, just need to go slow and take your time. Once the FW tank was full of the bleach water, I turned on the water pump. (I still have the hot water heater on bypass...) I opened each cold water faucet (one at a time...) to clear out the pink antifreeze and waited until I could smell the bleach coming out (20-30 seconds...). Repeated the same process on the hot water faucets. Finally, I added 1/4 of cup of bleach to the hose and topped off the FW tank (since clearing out the lines took ~10gls from the FW...).

While I wait for the bleach to do it's job (over the next 24 hours...), started to put things back in there place and installing batteries in the clocks, smoke alarm, weather station, etc... I got to install a new foam mattress pad I picked up a Target over the winter. Looking forward to actually testing this out. Some of the other items I purchased (exterior water filter, 12v tire pump, 50amp to 30amp dog bone, stinky slinky wash out cap...) will have to wait to I actually go camping.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to be in the 40's so it's time to do the outside tasks. I will be checking the roof for any cracks or dicor caulking that is needed, then washing the roof. Also will be checking the front/sides/rear for any cauling that is needed and then washing the TH. I will also get to install the awning poles I got from Turbs and the mount the TV inside (it's easier to do these two tasks with the wife around...extra hands...).

Can't wait to actually get out camping but that will have to wait until mid-April....

Happy camping....
Old 03-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #2

I agree, it sure is nice to get an early jump on the camper! Been such an easy winter I've spent many hours in and underneath mine doing a lot of mods. The inside warms up quickly with the fireplace on. And after the work is done, it is time relax with an old movie. In the camper, in the winter, in Minnesota!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relaxing in av.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	102283  

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

Afraid the weekend got away from me and with the weather staying in the low 30's during the day, I did not get any of the outside washing/waxing done. I did get a quick walk around on the roof and the dicor was all holding up well. When it does finally warm up again, I will hand wash the roof and then really inspected every inch of the dicor.

Got a few minor projects completed on the inside but forgot to take pictures before I brought the camper back to the storage lot. I will take the pictures next time I have the camper home because I know nothing is actually done with out pictures...

I was happy to see how easy the dewinterizing & sanitizing the water lines actually was. This is something I do next time with much more confidence now.

I installed a swivel TV mount and a 40" TV in the living room. Had to make a couple of trips to Home Depot to get the right screw width & length for attaching the TV mount to the TV... Was very surprised at how well the TV antenna picked up over the air channels. Watched some of the NCAA games and the picture looked really good. Even lowered the antenna and the signal was still strong. But needed to have the boost turned on.

In the garage, the track for the screenwall (by the ramp...) was preventing our factory carpet from laying flat. I had to remove the tracks (one at a time...) to cut away enough of the track so the carpet could fit underneath it.

We took a lot of measurements for some future shelves in the super pantry and the TV wall. As well as some reinforcements to the dinette in the garage so I can use it as a bed in an raised position (i.e. not on the ground using the legs....). We are going to need an extra bed in the garage for our trip to Yellowstone this year so I need to MacGyver some solutions back there...

I still have more projects to do (like we all do...) but will have to wait for another weekend. Some days, I wish I lived in warmer weather so I could spend more time in the camper. But then I would miss all the winter/snow activities I love to do as well.

Have a great day...
Old 03-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #4

Was out in the camper this weekend as well getting stuff done and ready!
Old 03-21-2016, 12:02 AM   #5
I go RV'ing not Camping

I'm jealous. Still probably a month away for me to get the trailer out of storage
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:45 AM   #6

Next year my off season upgrades will happen during the winter! Just finishing up our 29HFS's new home, a heated 36x48 building.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458556906.911437.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	102472

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458556941.316064.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	102473

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458557083.127783.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	102474

Ready for concrete then done!
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:09 AM   #7

DennisTD,
Man that us a very nice storage unit. Congrats....
Old 03-21-2016, 06:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTD View Post
Next year my off season upgrades will happen during the winter! Just finishing up our 29HFS's new home, a heated 36x48 building.

Attachment 102472

Attachment 102473

Attachment 102474

Ready for concrete then done!
Jealousy consumes me!!!!
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #9

What did that set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:25 AM   #10

Egladden,

It's 36x48, 16' interior height, 14' door in front, another high-lift garage door (but normal size) garage door in back, fully insulated, concrete floor with drain, site work, and a 100' gravel extension to my driveway...and it was right at $80K. I'm very handy with construction so I added 100 Amp electrical service, water, and heating myself which is not in that price, as is paving the driveway extension.

You can pay less but I went with Morton which is a top notch company and the building is absolutely excellent quality.

While I have a 29 HFS I sized it for an eventual fiver at the max length we would ever consider. My 29 will take up about 25% of it's current area, so plenty of room for other things that will find their way there.
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote