Old 09-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Squeaky camper

Sorry I am always looking for help! Second trip out and the 24 was so squeaky it was crazy. Every step was met with loud squeaks. It seems louder underneath outside so I assume it is something in the suspension. Any ideas where I could lubricate to dim the noise a bit?

sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Hi Sponge, was the trailer level?

SIBELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Hey Sponge. I've got similar squeaks and while not completely eliminated I find cranking up the tension on the corner jacks got rid of a lot of them. I usually level up and bring the rear jacks down onto the blocks then drop the tongue down so I have about an inch of clearance bring the rear jacks down onto the blocks again and bring the tongue back up to level Once there I bring the front jacks down with a few extra turns. I also have the scissor jacks between the tires. Once all are right most of my squeaks are gone Most tell me the coroner jacks are just for keeping it level and not designed for a lot of weight but these look a lot beefier then most and I haven't had any issues so far
Ray & Barb
2012 Sierra Duramax 2500HD 4 x 4
2013 Forest River XLR Hyperlite 27 HFS
2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I believe it was pretty level. In fact I was in the same campsite as last time where I was just a bit off-level (no squeaks) but this time I parked the one side on some plywood to bring it level.

It did not seem to matter where in the camper you were moving, the squeaks still would happen. That made me think it is not the floor itself. When I was getting ready to leave I tested it without the stabilizers down and it was definitely even louder. I guess I was trying to avoid cranking them down too hard because I had always heard they are just to keep it stable. If I notice the camper move at all when dropping those I usually stop. Maybe I should try cranking them a little harder? Can scissor jacks be added it seems like that would take the flex off the middle?

If I had to guess it seems like it comes from around the leaf springs area but it is really hard to pinpoint.

Thanks so much for the feedback!
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
I know when we had our 24HFS out on its last trip before we traded it I kept hearing a squeak too. When I went out to investigate it I put my foot up on the tires and tried rocking it (once I put the jacks up a little bit) and it sounded like it was coming from the brakes or axel area......strange! Once we got home I leveled it out in the garage, it never did it.
Spiker51 is offline   Reply With Quote