Old 03-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

As I posted before, if you have P tires on the truck, you will continue to have sway problems regardless of the tongue wt. I have always gone by 55% of wt on tongue -45% of wt on trailer.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
As I posted before, if you have P tires on the truck, you will continue to have sway problems regardless of the tongue wt. I have always gone by 55% of wt on tongue -45% of wt on trailer.
OC is right! I can speak first hand with P tires on 2 F150's The 2009 with P Stock Perellis was horrible for sway. The new F 150 2013 King Ranch same stock tires and Max Tow was much better with heavier suspension. I just put on Michelin LTX A/T2 tires. There are two tires that fit my 20 inch wheels that where recommended. the Michelin and the BFG All Terrain, both made my Michelin. I know there are others, just what I had availible to me on a employee purchase plan.

LTX A/T2 | Michelin Tires

Old 03-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

And there you have the difference between book learning (me) and real life (OC). My money is on OC!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjon View Post
Has anyone had sway issues with the xlr 27hfs??? I an loading two full dressed harleys, (2006 Electraglide and 2012 Streetglide), i am using the E2 hitch and pulling with a 2012 Ford F-150 Max Tow Ecoboost. The harleys weigh in at about 800lbs. each. We have tried putting water in the front tank of the trailer, adjusting the hitch and have had no luck. If you have a problem or had a problem wtith this please let me know. My phone number is (712) 253-2378 and my E-mail is IBJON@yahoo.com thanks..

I assume your hitch is an equalizer hitch When we bought our trailer we were supplied with a hitch and equalizer bars as part of the package.
We had some sway issues, and after talking to a number of folks on our first trip we determined that the dealer had supplied us with equalizer bars that were rated to low.
I may have the numbers wrong.....but if they supplied #800 bars, we needed at least #1000 bars. When we brought it to their attention after our first trip , they replaced the bars and we had no sway issues after that.
Just my .02 cents worth.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #15

You should ask the Moderators to remove your phone number and e-mail. People can get a hold of you by Private Messaging on this forum. (do you want people to call you years from now when they see these posts)

What does your unit ride like with No bikes in the back.... If it runs good... then add one bike and see how that does. Adjust as you go..... are your bike as close to the axles as possible or are they to the back. Is your unit level going down the road. My first trip my 'ball' was too high and had sway.... lowered it down and reduced it a lot. How fast do you drive down the road. Work with this a little and you will find your sweet spot.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #16

The trailer is designed to be towed with that kind of wieght in the back. You got to find out what your weights are. Find a comercial scale that is closed but working. Weigh the truck empty, then weigh all the axles of the truck and loaded trailer loaded. It would be a good idea to measure the distance from the top of your wheel wells of the truck unloaded and loaded, you will be able to tell how your weight distribution hitch is doing it's job. Once you know your weights then you will know what you need to do (ie) air bags, friction anti sway, tires or bigger truck.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #17

First you (MUST) have (10-15% Tongue Weight) if it still sways,find a friend with a 3/4 truck with LT tires and pull your trailer for a Test! Youroo!!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #18

update

o.k. i should have put in all the info. that i done with this... the reason i opened this thread is to find out if anyone has issues with sway. My truck is a 2012 F-150 Max Tow with air bags, I am running the GoodYear Wrangler tires 275/65R18 The truck was cert. scaled at 5980lbs the camper without bikes, just normal camping items that stay in camper was 7200 lbs. I Load one bike approx 800lbs run down the road at 70 to 80 mph no problems, i took it to sturgis from iowa that way, even with the cross winds on I-90 i had no porblems. I add one more full dressed harley approx 800 lbs and cannot go 60 mph without auto sway control comming on. (very Scary) I have adjusted every position on the E- 2 hitch, added and released air from air bags, filled water in front tank for extra tounge weight...and cannot get it to tow straight at 55 to 60mph. From what i can tell, when you add the extra 800lbs in the garage of the camper, their is too much weight behind the axles and not enough weight on the toung. any Ideas??
Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #19

oh. i forgot to mention that i spoke with three other xlr 27 hfs owners while i was in sturgis, the first had sway issues, he owned a hail repair company and used the garage to store his tools while on the road, he said he had to put tools in the bed of the pickup in orer to run down the road without sway issues. the tools weighed in at 1850lbs.. the second person i spoke with at the camp ground hauled an atv, it had an approx weight of 790lbs and he said he had no problems with sway... the third camper that i spoke with could not load his honda gold wing and his harley without having sway issues. I'm guessing that there is too much weight behind the axles, therefore....sway issues
Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #20

My first idea as one who has done this and paid the price.

Stop driving over 70 mph. It is not a matter of if, but when one of your tires explodes. You may dodge the results of an exploding tire once, but know there will be a time of catastrophic results.

The forum police will say to stop being so blunt, but as I age I always revert back to safety first and always.... and the speeds that I used to drive and that you are driving.... are not safe.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway