Old 03-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #1

tank locations

I seem to have developed a leak in the fresh water tank somewhere on my 2015 Nitro XLR 31fqsl. It runs along the bottom of the trailer for a bit just behind the rear axle. If I drain the fresh water tank it stops dripping.

The questions are many, but primarily, what do I have to remove to get a visual of the tank to see if I can locate the exact source of the leak? I've got the underbelly insulation from the factory that seems to cover up pretty much everything.

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #2

Is it still under warranty? If so, take it in for repair, especially since it is insulated.

2015: 18 days; 2016: 21 days; 2017: 16 days (so far)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #3

Sadly, no. The warranty has expired, of course.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #4

The fresh water tank is closer to front. If you pull the front quarter of the under panel you'll be able to see it.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

Thanks! It might not be the tank after all. Made no sense to me how the water would come all the way down to the gas tank before finally dripping off. There's plenty of other opportunity and the trailer is fairly level.

So I start looking for any signs elsewhere of water. Looking in from the front door with the light just right I notice theres a little bit of bubbling on the sink cabinet. Crawling in there with a flashlight I see a little bit of standing water. I turn on the water pump and that sucker vibrates a lot! Checked the screw on fittings, there's 3 of them, and a couple were really loose. Tightened them all up, wiped up all the water and nothing seems to be leaking in there now.

Filled the water tank and now I'll let it sit to see if the leak manifests itself again. Fingers crossed!!
Old 03-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
John513

I had the drain fitting where it threaded into the bottom of tank leak on mine. If your underbelly is sealed up good the leak will travel to a spot least sealed up and leak.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #7

I'm hoping the fittings under the sink were the issue. They were at the very least, an issue. But if the leak comes back, the next step will be to open up the insulation at the front of the rig. Never done that before so it should prove interesting, if not downright entertaining.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

I had a screw into a pex water pipe on the old greywolf. Factory cabinet screw. Funny it didn't leak at first. Soaked the insultion a bit. My 29 had no insulation only the coroplast belly. Does now. I've read on here a different model the FW overflow wasn't extended below the belly... Water was running above the belly and then dripped out for a while. It would run to the lowest point. Maybe you could raise or lower the tongue and see where it drips from. Main thing is to stop it, whatever it is.
WW
Old 03-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #9

I'm baffled at the moment.

Sat for hours with no leak. FW tank 2/3 full, which is more than it was when I first noticed the leak and drained the tank. Checking every 30 minutes to see if the leak returned, nothing.

Went back out to close up for the night, retracted the awning, and for giggles ran the kitchen sink water, cold and hot, ran the bathroom sink water, cold and hot, both for maybe 10 seconds or so. This is all on city water, mind you. Climbed down the stairs and sure enough the leak was there, but then stopped. It's not a running water thing, just a drip. But enough to see the fairly steady drips. Sigh...

Tomorrow I'll continue the quest to find the leak. Fairly certain at this point it's not the FW tank so that's a good thing, I guess.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #10

Why not run one thing at a time... wait... then look. Sounds like the leak could be on the drain side between sink and grey tank. But, you could narrow it down if only one sink leaks. If all cause drips, then maybe the tank itself is at fault. I hope you find it tomorrow.
WW

Tags
cat, location, tank