Old 01-05-2016, 01:26 AM   #31

unfortunately locks only keep out the honest people and the lazy crooks.

Padlocks are way too easy to chop off, and even with the fancy covers, it takes mere seconds to just cut the latch with a cordless grinder.

As for the door locks, they are also wayy too easy to pick. Ive had to pick mine a couple times now. I did the ol stupid trick of going in one door, locking the deadbolt from the inside and walking out the other door which has the handle locked from the outside, presto, locked out and the keys are on the counter fortunately the second time it wasnt me, it was a buddy that went back to my trailer to grab some drinks and locked the keys inside. A safety pin and zip tie and i can pick the door in less than a minute even when im drunk

Now, if you have more appropriate tools, it only takes a few seconds to pick them!

Either way, if someone WANTS to get in there, they are going to do it. i would much rather have them pick an easy lock or cut a deadbolt than start beating and cutting up things or smashing out windows for nothing. Like mentioned, i would recommend leaving garage blinds open if their is nothing of value in there. If theirs nothing good in there, they will move on to another unit.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #32

X2 Mr. T. Strange logic. Few would notice and figure out the camper gone means its safe to break in to your house compared to the multitudes of crooks that target unsecured storage lots, looking for something to steal.
WW

Old 01-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
House is securely locked everyday when you and your wife go to work, does that mean it's going to be burglarized daily because thieves see your cars are gone?
Cars always look gone. They're either gone or in the garage. So no cars doesn't necessarily tell them anything. But no camper does.

I'm not defending the DW's position. I just know any argument I might make about it just gets me in trouble. Cheaper to pay the storage fee!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #34

With us...... the cars would be sitting out if the camper is gone but that still does not mean no ones home at our house.......... There is often someone home if the camper is gone

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #35

Build a carport / shelter for the RV or hide it from the road. When a FR is gone from a home, it probably means its at the repair garage.
(smiling!)

Also, in the big city, I hear about home invasions, often in broad daylight with someone home.
WW
Old 01-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Build a carport / shelter for the RV or hide it from the road. When a FR is gone from a home, it probably means its at the repair garage.
(smiling!)

Also, in the big city, I hear about home invasions, often in broad daylight with someone home.
WW
Its not just in the big cities..... Most of the houses around us have been broken into in broad daylight along with most of the outbuildings....... Riding mowers were the last target.............. I can not see any of the neighbors houses (trees) We are in the country ..... We were at 25% unemployment in the area a couple years ago. When scrap was so high even wrought iron furniture was being stolen for scrap. Thieves were even stealing manhole covers The neighbor has been broken into 3 times the theif left her pocket book once

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:15 PM   #37

I still think you're way more likely to have trouble with your camper parked at a storage lot where thieves can act with impunity vs having it at home and worrying about what it looks like if the camper is gone. Heck, have someone house sit while you're gone if the DW is that worried about it. Preferably someone armed. Like me... 🔫
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #38

A friend of mine just ordered simplysafe alarm system works off cell tower and can send video and will work any where there is cell reception even on the road might be worth looking into.

Simplisafe.com
Old 01-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
My DW does NOT WANT the TT at home, so it's in storage. She's afraid that when we go camping, the bad guys see that it's gone and know the house is empty. So, which do you worry about (or want to protect) more, the house or the TT?
The boss is the boss, but tell me what is wrong with my thinking or what I am missing here. First, I realize that if a crook wants to badly enough, a house or and RV isn't burglar proof. But, please tell me how would a crook know that there should be an RV at your house if it is missing? Are your neighbors that much of a threat? Not seeing an RV could mean you don't own one, do you see my point? Are crooks in your area so good that they can spot dead grass where the tires sat from the road at 25 mph or more?
WW
Old 01-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
The boss is the boss, but tell me what is wrong with my thinking or what I am missing here. First, I realize that if a crook wants to badly enough, a house or and RV isn't burglar proof. But, please tell me how would a crook know that there should be an RV at your house if it is missing? Are your neighbors that much of a threat? Not seeing an RV could mean you don't own one, do you see my point? Are crooks in your area so good that they can spot dead grass where the tires sat from the road at 25 mph or more?
WW
He could be right. When I first brought my fiver home it was parked in front of the building where it would eventually be parked in but you cannot see it from the road. When I finnally got it put away then after a few weeks somebody came to the front door asking if I wanted to sell it. At first I thought they were talking about the neighbors they said no it was mine they were talking about I told them I had no trailer to sell. So somehow they knew the trailer was there. For along time after every noise I heard outside would get me checking it out.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote