Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #1

TH broken into

My in-laws bought a napkin holder (christmas) for the Camper, which is currently in a storage lot. I figured its been about since roughly Thanksgiving weekend since i went to check on it,run the generator, trimmed the tree thats overtop of it and all. Ive only had my 27 HFS since Labor Day weekend and used it twice for racing Mx, since by that time the reason was coming to a close anyway.

And behold, i find that it was broken into!!! or at least attempted. Im sure whomever it was, was only interested in whatever could be in the garage, since i noticed no one else in the storage area seemed to be broken into. That and mine was 1 of 2 TH's in the lot, the other against the main road side, but no entry into that one i noticed either.

First off, the storage company wasnt open as it is the 1st of the new year, but i left a message anyway, as the front gate claims to have "security cameras." the local PD came soon enough since i didnt know what else to do, as im sure i will need a PD report for insurance reasons.

Anyone have this sort of thing happen to them before? luckily i dont have anything in it as far as valuables, but the damage is still done. It appears they were only interested in what was in the garage as the TV was still inside...or the deadbolts did a good enough job. Any tips as to what i should do next other then wait for a report? Is the storage company insurance (if there is any) liable to fix it?

Im at a loss of words, as this camper is less then 6 months old from being built brand new and had been only used twice...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160101_140052.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	97139   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160101_155146.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	97140   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160101_140227.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	97141   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160101_142420.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	97142   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160101_140221.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	97143  

MotoCrazy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

Sorry about your camper.
Good thing is it is all easily fixable. I wouldn't worry about turning it in on insurance, as i doubt the repair cost will amount to much more than your deductible.

For your question about the storage lot covering your loss......i would bet good money you signed a release from any liability on their part, when you signed your rental paperwork, or they have it posted that they aren't liable for accidents, fire, theft etc. You can try, and you would probably end up in court, and it would probably cost waayyy more than just buying a couple door handles, some door trim and a new lock.
Again, sorry about your loss, and good luck getting it fixed quickly!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #3
Professional Curmudgeon

People suck.
If you plan to continue using an outside storage lot, consider investing in a cover. Makes it less attractive to low lifes.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #4

This sucks but it's VERY common. When I was at Couch's buying my rig they told me they had to have a full time security guard all night in their gated lots to keep the meth heads from grabbing the $50 flat screens. It's pathetic. On a lighter note, it could have been your whole camper like in this video. Watch it to the end. It's priceless.

St. Landry Crime Stoppers: Stolen RV - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #5

Sorry to hear this. Many years ago, me and five of my big friends were in a deserted winter campground for some winter fishing and sometime during the night someone tried to break into my motorhome where we were all sleeping. I guess they figured it was empty. Fortunately for them they didn't get inside because we were all armed. The outside of the door was preyed back like they were using a crowbar.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

Had mine broken into a few years back. They bent the entry door up but the dead bolt lock held. They tried a window close to the door but the slide wall was in the way so they went in through the fire escape window over the couch. they took the TV, receiver and all the bedding off of the bed. It took from May to the middle of August before the dealer fixed it all and it was at the dealer for repairs when it was broken into. They hit 29 other trailers that night. My insurance paid up. So from your pictures I would say you got off lucky. Changing out the door lock isn't hard. I had to do it after another try at my storage facility.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #7

This really sux MC. I'd find a safer place to store it.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

Years ago my parents stored their TT at a private lot. One weekend they brought it home, loaded it and took off. While at a campground about 75 miles away the local sheriff deputy came to say their house had been broken into.

Long and short of it the son of the owner of the storage lot was eventually charged for the crime, although my parents never recovered anything, and the house had been cleaned out.

Be careful where you store your RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
This sucks but it's VERY common. When I was at Couch's buying my rig they told me they had to have a full time security guard all night in their gated lots to keep the meth heads from grabbing the $50 flat screens. It's pathetic. On a lighter note, it could have been your whole camper like in this video. Watch it to the end. It's priceless.

St. Landry Crime Stoppers: Stolen RV - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette
That video clip is awesome. I wish our local crime stoppers would produce notices like that.

We need to have that Captain do all of the announcements...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #10

If we didn't have a "turn-a-round" jailing system. These might be less frequent I have an EX SIL who is a dope head. Nothing will stop them but permanent jail. 3 strikes doesn't seem to work. She has been in jail/rehab places at least 15 times in the last 20 years. Pitiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
That video clip is awesome. I wish our local crime stoppers would produce notices like that.

We need to have that Captain do all of the announcements...
There are too many people who would somehow find that Crimestoppers video to be offensive, insensitive and racist. There's no way that sort of thing could be done in most of the USA.

Bruce
Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
There are too many people who would somehow find that Crimestoppers video to be offensive, insensitive and racist. There's no way that sort of thing could be done in most of the USA.

Bruce
It worked for me. I hope the OP gets some justice.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
It worked for me. I hope the OP gets some justice.
X2

Bruce
Old 01-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #14

In May of 2014, at the advice of my SIL who is a FED, we installed a game cam on the underside of the awning cover and just over the main door. It has 12 x 1.5vdc long life batteries and will run for about a year depending on how much it films. We have it set to video and 30 sec runs. It's triggered by motion and is in a lockbox with a key. Pix are crystal clear.
My gun club used the same cam to catch two B&Es into our club house. It put them both in jail.
The game cam has been triggered 4 times since installing. Three times from birds landing on the ground near the door and once from the maintenance guy cleaning the lot with a leaf blower.
Amazon has several versions of game cams, some expensive, some not. just use the lithium batteries and it will run for a long, long time.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #15

Sorry to hear about your camper. People really are a-holes. I'm thankful on a regular basis that I can keep my camper at home. Last month when it was at the dealer for a week getting my furnace fixed, I'd start to get hives every time I looked out at the empty parking spot in my yard! Off-site storage for me will never be an option. I think if you're gonna store your 5-er in a lot somewhere, a 5th wheel lock is a good investment.

2 other observations: (1)-if you need to replace the damaged lock, it would seem that this is a good excuse to upgrade to an RVLock...just as easy to install as a regular lock, and they're awesome! (2)-Captain Higgins needs to have his own reality show, or at least needs to be a writer on one. That guy is great! Hope they find the scumbag.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #16

Great post! Sure wouldn't want to offend any of those criminals with such a website. Maybe a kinder, more gentle approach. Maybe a limo instead of a squad car and fur lined handcuffs would put them more at ease. Maybe a futon in their jail cell.
Two problems I do not have are political correctness and offending criminals.
From the statistic the Capt. mentioned, it looks like their website is working. Wish the police in my town would follow suit.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #17

THanks for all the words gents...im not sure about just the door lock on the rear garage door as it appeared, like someone here mentioned, that a crowbar was used to pry open the lower half of it. there was a good 1.5"-2" gap at the bottom...after the PD left, i opened up the door and bent it back as best as i could left just my hands. its definitely better than it was, but im still worried about sealing issues, most importantly with all the rain we have been getting lately. I didnt seem to notice any rain damage at the time, but i plan on going back today/tmw since i was a weeee bit pissed yesterday. not to mention i need to get new locks for the tailgate.

speaking of locks, the "hardened" master lock apparently didnt hold up...anyone recommend some good locks for the tailgate? i noticed the raptor in the storage lot had brinks locks, are they better?

i will say that the dead bolts mostly did their jobs, but i think once they peeled back the garage door and noticed nothing was inside they left.

so what does everyone recommend as far as new side door locks? and more importantly, is my garage door integraty lost now since it was peeled back? i dont even know how much a new door would be.
MotoCrazy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #18

IMHO, once the door has been bent out of shape, it will never fit snug again and will most likely leak. I would replace it. Sure hope the door frame on the unit isn't damaged. That would be a tough fix.
I hate a thief! These crack and meth-heads will stop at nothing to feed their habits.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #19

As far as to the ramp locks it does not matter how hardened they are if they can't cut the lock the hasp is much softer they will go after it instead. They cut the hasps in this area and the lock is usually found on the ground.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #20

I use the Blaylock but if someone really wants in they'll find a way.

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1451761187.739485.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  18.5 KB

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote