Old 01-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #1

TH broken into

My in-laws bought a napkin holder (christmas) for the Camper, which is currently in a storage lot. I figured its been about since roughly Thanksgiving weekend since i went to check on it,run the generator, trimmed the tree thats overtop of it and all. Ive only had my 27 HFS since Labor Day weekend and used it twice for racing Mx, since by that time the reason was coming to a close anyway.

And behold, i find that it was broken into!!! or at least attempted. Im sure whomever it was, was only interested in whatever could be in the garage, since i noticed no one else in the storage area seemed to be broken into. That and mine was 1 of 2 TH's in the lot, the other against the main road side, but no entry into that one i noticed either.

First off, the storage company wasnt open as it is the 1st of the new year, but i left a message anyway, as the front gate claims to have "security cameras." the local PD came soon enough since i didnt know what else to do, as im sure i will need a PD report for insurance reasons.

Anyone have this sort of thing happen to them before? luckily i dont have anything in it as far as valuables, but the damage is still done. It appears they were only interested in what was in the garage as the TV was still inside...or the deadbolts did a good enough job. Any tips as to what i should do next other then wait for a report? Is the storage company insurance (if there is any) liable to fix it?

Im at a loss of words, as this camper is less then 6 months old from being built brand new and had been only used twice...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160101_140052.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	97139   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160101_155146.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	97140   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160101_140227.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	97141   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160101_142420.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	97142   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160101_140221.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	97143  

Old 01-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

Sorry about your camper.
Good thing is it is all easily fixable. I wouldn't worry about turning it in on insurance, as i doubt the repair cost will amount to much more than your deductible.

For your question about the storage lot covering your loss......i would bet good money you signed a release from any liability on their part, when you signed your rental paperwork, or they have it posted that they aren't liable for accidents, fire, theft etc. You can try, and you would probably end up in court, and it would probably cost waayyy more than just buying a couple door handles, some door trim and a new lock.
Again, sorry about your loss, and good luck getting it fixed quickly!!

Old 01-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #3
Professional Curmudgeon

People suck.
If you plan to continue using an outside storage lot, consider investing in a cover. Makes it less attractive to low lifes.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #4

This sucks but it's VERY common. When I was at Couch's buying my rig they told me they had to have a full time security guard all night in their gated lots to keep the meth heads from grabbing the $50 flat screens. It's pathetic. On a lighter note, it could have been your whole camper like in this video. Watch it to the end. It's priceless.

St. Landry Crime Stoppers: Stolen RV - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette
Old 01-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #5

Sorry to hear this. Many years ago, me and five of my big friends were in a deserted winter campground for some winter fishing and sometime during the night someone tried to break into my motorhome where we were all sleeping. I guess they figured it was empty. Fortunately for them they didn't get inside because we were all armed. The outside of the door was preyed back like they were using a crowbar.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

Had mine broken into a few years back. They bent the entry door up but the dead bolt lock held. They tried a window close to the door but the slide wall was in the way so they went in through the fire escape window over the couch. they took the TV, receiver and all the bedding off of the bed. It took from May to the middle of August before the dealer fixed it all and it was at the dealer for repairs when it was broken into. They hit 29 other trailers that night. My insurance paid up. So from your pictures I would say you got off lucky. Changing out the door lock isn't hard. I had to do it after another try at my storage facility.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #7

This really sux MC. I'd find a safer place to store it.
WW
Old 01-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

Years ago my parents stored their TT at a private lot. One weekend they brought it home, loaded it and took off. While at a campground about 75 miles away the local sheriff deputy came to say their house had been broken into.

Long and short of it the son of the owner of the storage lot was eventually charged for the crime, although my parents never recovered anything, and the house had been cleaned out.

Be careful where you store your RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
This sucks but it's VERY common. When I was at Couch's buying my rig they told me they had to have a full time security guard all night in their gated lots to keep the meth heads from grabbing the $50 flat screens. It's pathetic. On a lighter note, it could have been your whole camper like in this video. Watch it to the end. It's priceless.

St. Landry Crime Stoppers: Stolen RV - KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette
That video clip is awesome. I wish our local crime stoppers would produce notices like that.

We need to have that Captain do all of the announcements...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #10

If we didn't have a "turn-a-round" jailing system. These might be less frequent I have an EX SIL who is a dope head. Nothing will stop them but permanent jail. 3 strikes doesn't seem to work. She has been in jail/rehab places at least 15 times in the last 20 years. Pitiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote