Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #21

We LOVE Hamilton, or that area, but we are usually visiting with my sister. If you or your other half likes to cook, or eat, check out Jungle Jim's. It is an international supermarket that has EVERYTHING! I can spend hours and hours in there looking through their foods/groceries. They have a huge beer and wine supply, they have all their foods in country of origin areas (Thai, Korean, Indian, German, Danish, British, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, etc.). They have a wonderful fresh fish market, a sushi market, fresh cheese (you can sample), It can kill several hours (I am usually there for a minimum of 3 hours). http:/http://www.junglejims.com//

We also like to go to IKEA, which is on Mulhauser Drive, just off the West Chester exit of I-75. We can kill another 3-4 hours there, but we don't have one anywhere close to us and we have gotten all sorts of "stuff" for our 5er.

Dave and Buster's is in the Tri-County area, just off of I-275.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #22

Thank you all for the great ideas and information!
chrissybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
We LOVE Hamilton, or that area, but we are usually visiting with my sister. If you or your other half likes to cook, or eat, check out Jungle Jim's. It is an international supermarket that has EVERYTHING! I can spend hours and hours in there looking through their foods/groceries. They have a huge beer and wine supply, they have all their foods in country of origin areas (Thai, Korean, Indian, German, Danish, British, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, etc.). They have a wonderful fresh fish market, a sushi market, fresh cheese (you can sample), It can kill several hours (I am usually there for a minimum of 3 hours). http:/http://www.junglejims.com//

We also like to go to IKEA, which is on Mulhauser Drive, just off the West Chester exit of I-75. We can kill another 3-4 hours there, but we don't have one anywhere close to us and we have gotten all sorts of "stuff" for our 5er.

Dave and Buster's is in the Tri-County area, just off of I-275.
If you don't mind me asking, what type/brand of dishes do you use in your 5er. We want microwave safe, but want PBA and melamine free.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
one of the best PDI checklists I've found is on the Heartland owners site.
Thanks CaptnJohn - do you happen to know the link. I googled it but found multiple results and am not sure which one you're referring to. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #25

chrissybird - What part of NC are you from? We've talked about taking our TT to the Outer Banks some time.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #26

When we picked our XLR couple weeks ago we stayed in Jeffersonville OH at Fairfield Inn and went to the Tanger Outlet Mall across the street. It was little over hour drive to Couch's in the AM. The hotel was clean and breakfast was great and free, they had waffles and typical hotel breakfast stuff.
mrdon003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
chrissybird - What part of NC are you from? We've talked about taking our TT to the Outer Banks some time.
kluza - we're about an hour south of Raleigh down US 1. I've never been to the Outer Banks so I can't help with that area, but would like to go sometime. If you have any questions about the Grand Strand in SC, I can help with that
Old 02-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissybird View Post
Thanks CaptnJohn - do you happen to know the link. I googled it but found multiple results and am not sure which one you're referring to. Thanks!

Sent PM
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #29

Quote:
kluza - we're about an hour south of Raleigh down US 1. I've never been to the Outer Banks so I can't help with that area, but would like to go sometime. If you have any questions about the Grand Strand in SC, I can help with that
Grand Strand ~~~
have been selling real estate along the GS to Holden Beach NC for a long time..... I used to live in Cherry Grove SC and now Ocean Isle Beach NC.... GS is a nice place to visit but NC is more peaceful for living.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #30

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what type/brand of dishes do you use in your 5er. We want microwave safe, but want PBA and melamine free.
I purchased a set of FÄRGRIK 18-piece dinnerware set, dark lilac, stoneware at IKEA a couple of years ago and we use them occasionally, like when having steak or other food that requires a heavy duty plate. Otherwise, we use paper.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #31

Here's a good one...esp. if you're into photography!? Go to the PhotoProExpo in Covington
just across the bridge in KY. Not too far from the aquarium either. Anyway, you can see the latest and greatest at the Trade Show. Go to the PPE www-site, scroll down, and print out their complimentary trade show passes(save $20- per) and then go to the convention center...easy to find...all on the site. Nikon's, Canon's, etc., et al, and many things you've never seen before. Lots of freebies too. Runs till Sunday afternoon. Great prof. print display too and many eateries in the area within walking distance. Have fun...
Old 02-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
The Outer Banks can be either of 2 kinds of visit. If you want all the traffic and tourist stuff Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, etc on the Atlantic side. If you want quiet take Hwy 12. Last there we stayed at the campground in Frisco on the Pamlico Sound ~~~ had the waters of the sound 15' from our rear window. Full hookup is reasonable. Did not use the baths or laundry so cannot comment. Very nice size campsites. Quiet there ~~ opposite of the tourist side,,,, your choice. We were there in November and watched the windsurfers nearly daily. Either side you will have a stiff breeze.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Grand Strand ~~~
have been selling real estate along the GS to Holden Beach NC for a long time..... I used to live in Cherry Grove SC and now Ocean Isle Beach NC.... GS is a nice place to visit but NC is more peaceful for living.
Agree, and thanks so much for the PDI checklist!!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
As others have said, not much there, and it's a good little haul to Cincy. You can go south on route 4 to Fairfield and make a stop at Jungle Jims. It's a 200,000 square feet supermarket and a sight to see! Further south on 4 and you'll come to Tri-County Mall and 1 exit west on 270 is a Bass Pro Shop.
This is good, sound,close advice! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #35

Don't be concerned with Hamilton. It isn't fancy. Where you will be going is an industrial area surrounded by residential areas. Lots of manufacturing companies, car dealers, automotive companies. Not many restaurants or other entertainment but not a ghetto. I assume you will be coming from Columbus on 71, picking up 275 around to 127 then north to Couch's.
I would suggest doing your purchase, then if staying on lot for the night, unhitch, head south on 127, passing 275, turning onto Dixie Highway, which turns into 4. This will take you to Jungle Jim's which someone else suggested. You can find this on the map on your phone or GPS. Wonderful international grocery. Carries beers from all parts of the world, cheeses, sausages, fresh meat, fresh seafood, fresh veggies and fruits.
Canned foods of all kinds. You need a map to get through the store. All areas are marked by country. And check out the restrooms in the back, not what you think! Not sure what time you have to go back to Couch's before they lock the gates but suggest picking up something for dinner, back to the rig and enjoy your first evening aboard.
On your way next morning after getting back onto 275, you could stop at Bass Pro and there is a shopping complex there. Lots of parking area.
We don't have snow, temps will be in the 40's.
Have a safe trip, enjoy the new rig.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeLady View Post
Don't be concerned with Hamilton. It isn't fancy. Where you will be going is an industrial area surrounded by residential areas. Lots of manufacturing companies, car dealers, automotive companies. Not many restaurants or other entertainment but not a ghetto. I assume you will be coming from Columbus on 71, picking up 275 around to 127 then north to Couch's.
I would suggest doing your purchase, then if staying on lot for the night, unhitch, head south on 127, passing 275, turning onto Dixie Highway, which turns into 4. This will take you to Jungle Jim's which someone else suggested. You can find this on the map on your phone or GPS. Wonderful international grocery. Carries beers from all parts of the world, cheeses, sausages, fresh meat, fresh seafood, fresh veggies and fruits.
Canned foods of all kinds. You need a map to get through the store. All areas are marked by country. And check out the restrooms in the back, not what you think! Not sure what time you have to go back to Couch's before they lock the gates but suggest picking up something for dinner, back to the rig and enjoy your first evening aboard.
On your way next morning after getting back onto 275, you could stop at Bass Pro and there is a shopping complex there. Lots of parking area.
We don't have snow, temps will be in the 40's.
Have a safe trip, enjoy the new rig.
Extremely helpful TreeLady, thank you so much!!!
Old 02-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #37

Glad to help.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #38

I think for those who don’t live in Hamilton, it’s easy to miss some of the drastic improvements that have been made here in the last few years – especially downtown. Couch’s place is right off US 127 which gives you a straight shot (5 min drive) into the business corridor.

I would really recommend that you take a stroll down High Street where we have some great dining options (diner style, find dining, barbeque, cafes, etc). We also have an impressive art scene with several galleries and performance centers in the same area. Public art is a big deal here too, you can take a walking tour of our murals and sculptures (Download the OtoCast ap for a free tour of the 40+ public sculptures in our community) OR you could even drive to Pyramid Hill (also on OtoCast but not free) which still impresses me every time I go.

Oh and if you like local shops, you can’t do any better than Sara’s House on the corner of 3rd and High. She and her husband repurpose everyday items into really fun décor (lamps, tables, wine racks, that kind of thing). As for food, J'Austin's River Bank Cafe all the way for southern style foods, local brews, and infused mixed drinks.

If you like historic homes Dayton Street between 6th and 9th has a number of 1800's mansions and South D Street between Ross and New London features a number of early 1900s homes. Hope you have a great time here no matter what you choose!
Obewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #39

Obewah, I am glad to see this info. I am not from the area, just familiar with parts of it. Always good to know where there are good places to eat and things to see off the beaten path.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obewah View Post
I think for those who don’t live in Hamilton, it’s easy to miss some of the drastic improvements that have been made here in the last few years – especially downtown. Couch’s place is right off US 127 which gives you a straight shot (5 min drive) into the business corridor.

I would really recommend that you take a stroll down High Street where we have some great dining options (diner style, find dining, barbeque, cafes, etc). We also have an impressive art scene with several galleries and performance centers in the same area. Public art is a big deal here too, you can take a walking tour of our murals and sculptures (Download the OtoCast ap for a free tour of the 40+ public sculptures in our community) OR you could even drive to Pyramid Hill (also on OtoCast but not free) which still impresses me every time I go.

Oh and if you like local shops, you can’t do any better than Sara’s House on the corner of 3rd and High. She and her husband repurpose everyday items into really fun décor (lamps, tables, wine racks, that kind of thing). As for food, J'Austin's River Bank Cafe all the way for southern style foods, local brews, and infused mixed drinks.

If you like historic homes Dayton Street between 6th and 9th has a number of 1800's mansions and South D Street between Ross and New London features a number of early 1900s homes. Hope you have a great time here no matter what you choose!
Hamilton is doing a great job with it revitalization! We actually really liked the little downtown area. High Street Café is not to be missed - their Italian Toast breakfast is absolutely amazing!