Old 05-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #11

So you didn't take advantage of the one-year warranty extension from FR?

Old 05-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #12

The one year warranty extention from Forest River would probably not cover tires, suspension problems, or ramp doors. Forest River only covers the parts they make.

FWIW, there are several toyhaulers in the campground where I am currently parked. They all have Lippert doors of the same design that is on my trailer. The number of springs on the doors seems to vary. There is a big Raptor with only 4 springs on the ramp door.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #13

Well, I got the extension. Haven't needed it but FR even fixed a nail in one of the tires when we were at the rally. Those guys are great.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #14

I`ve had my 14 w&P since nov 14. Only camped in it 8 nights. Last year I had to put new brakes and axle seals (I paid for that ) And this year had to have my wall fixed because the vent seal broke, Warranty wouldn`t cover it. (I paid again) Thinking of selling it and just rent a cabin when I do go . (one week a year) be a lot cheaper and less to keep track of.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #15

That's true although I've often said we RV for the lifestyle and not to save money. MUCH cheaper staying in Motel 6s.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:03 AM   #16

My experience with Forest River, has been less than ideal. We have come to the conclusion, rv dealers, manufacturers, and suppliers, are are run by people who couldn't get a job in the auto industry.

We bought our brand new XLR thunderbolt 425, March 10th. On March 11th, we took it for a trial run at a local park. When trying to run the kitchen slide out, loud pops and shaking occured.

Since we purchased the rv 4 hrs from home, my dealer was of no help to me. I happened to have an email of a Forest River rep, and shot him an email. He had the plant manager contact me, the next morning.

All seemed to be going well, until they couldn't get a Lippert rep out as soon as they hoped. I was then shuffled off to his secretary, who got me in to a local repair shop...... a month later!

Word of advice, buy local. Dealers don't like to service rv's they didn't sell. They treat u poorly, and let it be known they aren't happy to work on rigs they don't sell. Why? Warranty work is warranty work, and they still get paid.

The salesman I bought from, basically pushed me off to any and everyone he could, but was sweet as punch up until the sale. Someone either removed our Dyson vacuum, or they forgot to install it, which I didn't notice until we got home. That took a month to get, after many texts, calls and emails.

I was warned about rv dealers, and typical "shakedown" failures of new rv's. The realization, kicks u in the face. Granted, my experience, will not be everyone's, but I've heard too many stories to believe I'm in the small percentage of unhappy customers.

But hey, what should I expect, I only spent $65k, on a trailer!

I look forward to many happy trips, and hauling our Harleys all over the country. I won't be pushing a Forest River product, that I can assure u!

P.S. the plant manager, is also a member of this forum, fyi...

Cummins powered!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #17

Any other industry wouldn't tolerate this type of behavior.

If I buy a Ford or Chevy and there is a problem I go to the Ford or Chevy for warranty repair not to the manufacturer of the sub-assembly....
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #18

Yep!

Cummins powered!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #19

I had more fun last night and today. We are back on the road, camping in Florida. My wife's little dog got up in the middle of the night to get some wAter. When he got to the living areae, he started barking and whining. My wife got up to see what was wrong, and the floor was flooded with water. I got up and figured out that the leak was from the wAter heater. I used the bypass valves to turn off the water to the water heater. When the sun came up , I discovered that the problem was that the plastic nipple into the water heater was broken. The thread part of the nipple was still in the water heater. A little Internet research found that I'm not the first one to have this problem. I drove into town to buy some metal fittings, an extractor, some pec tubing, and a pec compression tool. Of course, the extractor would not remove the broken part of the. nipple. I spent a couple of hours on my back and elbows, using a knife, screwdriver, and hammer to remove the broken piece. I changed the fitting on the cold side to metal while I was working. When I started hooking the tubing to the new fittings, I could tell that they had originally been hooked up under tension. I judged that this was the reason that the fitting had failed. I rearranged some wires and supports to relieve the tension. Should I be happy that the original install lasted 3 years, or be upset to find even more shoddy work?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #20

Changed my story a little ---

I had some fun last night and again today. We are on the road, camping in Florida. My wife's little dog got up in the middle of the night to get some water. When he got to the living area, he started barking and whining. My wife got up to see what was wrong, and found the floor was flooded with water. I got up and soon figured out that the leak was from the water heater. I used the bypass valves to turn off the water to the water heater. When the sun came up , I discovered that the problem was that the plastic nipple that screwed into the water heater was leaking. it broke off when i tried to remove it. The thread part of the nipple was still in the water heater. A little Internet research found that I'm not the first one to have this problem. I drove into town to buy some metal fittings, an extractor, some PEX tubing, and a PEX compression tool. Of course, the extractor would not remove the broken part of the nipple. I spent a couple of hours on my back and elbows, using a knife, screwdriver, and hammer to remove the broken piece. I also changed the fitting on the cold side to metal while I was working. It also broke when I tried to remove it. The plastic fittings had been screwed into the water heater as far as they would go. I'm guessing that the factory installer used an impact wrench for this work. The tension created by the lip of the fitting contacting the water tank boss is probably what caused the fitting to fail (thinking that if it was tension from the PEX tubing install, then the barb part of the fitting would have broken). Should I be happy that the original install lasted 3 years, or be upset to find even more shoddy work?