Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

Thunderbolt Satellite?

Is the tailgater the easiest way to get my Dish to work?

Any luck with the auto seek satellites?

Thanks.
bulldog4949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #2

Hi Dish Tailgater easy to set up. All you need is one coax cable to power the tailgater and get the signal from the tailgater. I use a Vip211k receiver for the trailer this unit is SD and HD capable. I have the Dish Hopper at home and can watch all the home channels I subscribe to on the Vip211k receiver. I have also added a 2 gigabit Western Digital desktop hard drive to the Vip211k receiver for a one time fee of $40. to make this a DVR receiver. The good thing about this setup is that you don't have to pay for a DVR rental ever. The set up is easy and is displayed step by step on the television each time you set the system up in a new location. The big thing is you need a clear sky to the south (no trees) or a hole through the trees to the south.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #3

Thanks.

I have a VIP211Z receiver already in my camper. So all I need is the tailgater and 1 coax from the Tailgater to the Satellite plug on my trailer and I will be good to go?

I have a dish account from my home system so that will be no biggy to get it added.

Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #4

tailgater system can be turned off when not in use. When you turn it on your monthly bill will be around $7.00 for the time you have it active if you have a home system. Tailgater dish will not pick up the eastern satellites so if you plan on going to Maine or the Canadian maritime you will need the king satellite receiver that has the eastern and western satellites. If you decide to to pull the trigger and buy a tailgater system and you have a good relationship with the company that installed your home system use them to buy. This way you will have a support person to work with if you have questions on setup.

Hope this helps Tim
Old 06-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #5

I appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #6

Great feedback from the other replies but if you have the room it is worth at least checking out the pathway x2. Price is about the same when you find it on sale, hitting the eastern birds has helped me in some sites, and the actual strength of the signal rivals my home dish.

I do love the small size and light weight of the tailgaters though.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:26 AM   #7

i have heard that the tailgater will not work if the bedroom tv is on a splitter from the living room tv. we can watch different channels on the tv when on cable. is this true? dont want to waste the money on it if it will not work
GaryanJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryanJane View Post
i have heard that the tailgater will not work if the bedroom tv is on a splitter from the living room tv. we can watch different channels on the tv when on cable. is this true? dont want to waste the money on it if it will not work
Hi,
I have a stationary Winegard dish at my seasonal site that I use with the ViP 211z receiver.
With the 211z, I could not get it to feed the bedroom TV due to the fact that this model does not have a coax out. This model does have an HDMI and a A/V out. The DishNetwork guy wanted me to use a RF modulator to convert the A/V to a coax out to feed the 2nd TV but the 2nd TV would only be standard definition. (Same channel )
I bought a HDMI splitter Robot Check and ran the second HDMI to the second TV. This allows same channel as 1st TV only but in HD.
Cheaper option than a second receiver since we only watch one TV at a time.
crunchman
Edit: My 2011 coachman does not have the satellite hookup but cable only on the exterior.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

We have a Tailgater and have splitters and watch satellite on all 3 tvs. BR, LR and outside.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We have a Tailgater and have splitters and watch satellite on all 3 tvs. BR, LR and outside.
I believe the issue with the tailgater and splitters is if there is a splitter in the input coax from the sat dish to the receiver. There is no issue if the splitter(s) is/are after the receiver output to the tv's. I believe this is how OC's coax interconnect is. Some rv's have a splitter to all tv's in the park cable coax input side of the selector switch for the tv's input source (sat/cable/ant) and some don't even have a selector switch. I believe this is why some tailgater installs have issues. JMO
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I believe the issue with the tailgater and splitters is if there is a splitter in the input coax from the sat dish to the receiver. There is no issue if the splitter(s) is/are after the receiver output to the tv's. I believe this is how OC's coax interconnect is. Some rv's have a splitter to all tv's in the park cable coax input side of the selector switch for the tv's input source (sat/cable/ant) and some don't even have a selector switch. I believe this is why some tailgater installs have issues. JMO
I also have 3 input coax hook ups for the Tailgater. One from the pinbox, one from the ladder and the factory mounted one on the side and they all feed into one coax going to the box.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #12

so how did you connect the 3 coax cables together?

Tim
Old 06-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
so how did you connect the 3 coax cables together?

Tim
With a 4 way connector. 2 Pcs F Adapter F Male to 3X F Female " " Type 4 Way RF Coax Adapter Connector | eBay
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #14

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I also have 3 input coax hook ups for the Tailgater. One from the pinbox, one from the ladder and the factory mounted one on the side and they all feed into one coax going to the box.
So, as stated, no splitter in line with ant input to receiver.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVWulp View Post
Hi Dish Tailgater easy to set up. All you need is one coax cable to power the tailgater and get the signal from the tailgater. I use a Vip211k receiver for the trailer this unit is SD and HD capable. I have the Dish Hopper at home and can watch all the home channels I subscribe to on the Vip211k receiver. I have also added a 2 gigabit Western Digital desktop hard drive to the Vip211k receiver for a one time fee of $40. to make this a DVR receiver. The good thing about this setup is that you don't have to pay for a DVR rental ever. The set up is easy and is displayed step by step on the television each time you set the system up in a new location. The big thing is you need a clear sky to the south (no trees) or a hole through the trees to the south.

Hope this helps Tim
Tim, I did almost the same thing and have the same receiver, I bought a Winegard carry Out of ebay. I added the hard drive and paid the $40... but much smaller unit that 2 gigs... it works great. For my install I added a water "resistant" cigarette lighter plug on the utility side to power the carry out dish. Like you said, it works great when you have a clear view of the SW sky. Its hard to hit a hole in the trees, or at least, I've not had much luck. There is an app for the Android that works fairly well. Also a compass. I also learned (no book came with it) to aim in the general direction ... which means the connections are 180 degrees the other way... it matters I also find that it gets up and running if you use it often enough to get the periodic upgrades from Dish. If you don't use it often, you will probably have to call Dish for tech help.... they can push upgrades to you if need be.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #17

Have the Pathway X2 which has 2 connections, I ran the second connection to the bedroom tv, use the sat. connection on the XLR for the living room. Easy set up and stable in the winds.
wrsmsgt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite