Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #1

Thunderbolt XLR AMP

Hello folks...

I'm also new to the toy hauler world... in fact, to the RV world at all. I'll be retiring in about 6 months, and am in the market.

Being divorced with my sons grown, living by myself & being tied down to one location for the past 16 years with my work... I'm leaning towards buying a toy hauler for my motorcycles, and just going where I want for a few years in full-time mode.

I've done a good deal of research over the past year or so... have gone out RVing with my friends a few times... and have been looking at the XLR units in particular. However, one thing I haven't been able to figure out, and can't find any info on it at all online. I guess I could simply pick up the phone a call a dealer to ask, but figured I'd do so here:

On certain Thunderbolt XLR units... what does "AMP" stand for at the end of the model designator... and, does it actually have anything to do with options and/or features of the unit?

Thanks...

2012 F250 Lariat SCREW, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, SRW
2005 Honda GL1800A Gold Wing
2011 BMW R1200GS
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy
Hello folks...

I'm also new to the toy hauler world... in fact, to the RV world at all. I'll be retiring in about 6 months, and am in the market.

Being divorced with my sons grown, living by myself & being tied down to one location for the past 16 years with my work... I'm leaning towards buying a toy hauler for my motorcycles, and just going where I want for a few years in full-time mode.

I've done a good deal of research over the past year or so... have gone out RVing with my friends a few times... and have been looking at the XLR units in particular. However, one thing I haven't been able to figure out, and can't find any info on it at all online. I guess I could simply pick up the phone a call a dealer to ask, but figured I'd do so here:

On certain Thunderbolt XLR units... what does "AMP" stand for at the end of the model designator... and, does it actually have anything to do with options and/or features of the unit?

Thanks...
Welcome to the forum !
Good luck in whatever you do.
Ron

Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and to the forums. Hope you enjoy the stay, and learn a lot, and can teach others what you already know.

As to your answer, go here, Forest River Website: XLR Toy Haulers Standard Features

The AMP version seems to have:
7’6" Slide Room Height (AMP Series only)
15K BTU Air Conditioner (HP in AMP Series)
150 Gallons Fresh Water (AMP Series only)
Dovetail Storage Box (AMP Series only)
Triple 30# LP Tanks (AMP Series only)

I might have missed something, but it seems to be an upgrade.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Just Love to Camp

The AMP is a package that come on some of the models. Mostly it just adds some Bling options.

Good luck. As Always Happy Camping
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Hello folks...

Thanks...
The AMP floorplans offer a few upgrades and extra feature:

High Profile Front Cap
162 gallons total fresh water capacity
Convenience Center for Utilities & Hookups
15K BTU HP Air Conditioning ductwork
7' 6" Living Room Slides
Schwintek Slide System on all slides
Larger Living Room Windows
Dovetail Storage Box in cargo area
Pendant Lighting in kitchen
Triple 30# LP Tanks

Hope that helps clear it up!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #6

Yeah, I can see on the website the extras that are available with the package... but that doesn't really answer my question.

Forrest River says the letters "XLR" is their designator for "Extended Living & Recreation"... but I guess no one apparently knows exactly what the letters "AMP" stand for.

2012 F250 Lariat SCREW, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, SRW
2005 Honda GL1800A Gold Wing
2011 BMW R1200GS
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

AMP equals Add More Price. (just kidding) Have no idea
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Yeah, I can see on the website the extras that are available with the package... but that doesn't really answer my question.

Forrest River says the letters "XLR" is their designator for "Extended Living & Recreation"... but I guess no one apparently knows exactly what the letters "AMP" stand for.
It just means it's an "AMPed" up Thunderbolt - extra upgrades.