Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #1

tongue box

I've been concerned about having batteries or generator (or even LP tanks) walk off when I leave them on the tongue unattended or in certain neighborhoods; and have been looking for a tongue box that would do it all and have found nada.... now there are fabricators that for a phenomenal phee can make anything you can dream up in whatever kind of metal you would like. But, I don't want to spend a thousand bucks, either.

I came up with this basic design and sizing... and am going to hit HD tomorrow for wood, etc. At this size, it won't hit in a tight turn and my 2500 doesn't have a problem with the added tongue weight.

Now I really would like to have a metal top or something that will really hold up to the weather; painted plywood will not... even marine playwood gets ugly in a couple of years. I have thought about coating the box inside and out with pickup bed liner or even have Rhino coat it, but again its costly.

Besides the vents (12 x 12)... or? I'm thinking that being able to lift the top a little and still maintain security, would be good.

I also know that if someone really wants to get to it, they can. But, I want the thief to at least make some noise.

If anyone has any ideas, criticisms or suggestions about this box, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tongue box to hold gen, LP tanks, 2 batteries.png
Views:	176
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	80574   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB outside.png
Views:	177
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	80575  

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
tjm

A plywood box would add a bunch of weight imo. Cable lock and a cover when not in use for the generator is what I would do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Go to a metal fab shop and have it made out of alum.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Go to a metal fab shop and have it made out of alum.

Especially diamond plate. Any boat maker or repair can do it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #5

+1 on the aluminum. It'll cost more at first, but the weight savings will be worth it. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:30 AM   #6

WW go to fab shop I'll bet cheaper than you think - with the Honda in there your gonna want more security than a wood box - plus I'd put one of those gorilla chains around it bolted to frame - even a cut off wheel on a portable cut off tool has a hard time cutting though the gorilla chain -( hardened steel)

You know if you go to lowes - they have diamond plate and can cut it to your specs - just need to find someone to weld it --- also I believe if you went to a metal yard - they will cut to size too...

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:35 AM   #7

I agree completely that aluminum is the way to go and there's a fabricator in the little town north of me. I'll check with them on monday. If you haven't bought metal in a while you will be shocked at the price. I've actually priced buying diamond plate on line and having it shipped here. It takes one 48 x 96 plus one 24 x 96 and one 2 x 48 which comes to over $500 with shipping. I would save $200 if I could pick it up close by.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 06-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #8

WW I think maybe go 2 aluminum boxes - 1 for propane 46 by 14 and a triangle tung box in front - on Amazon w free shipping looks like it would be under $250 - you might need to move locking mech for back box - might be a cheaper less hassle waY to go
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

OP - Just remember it is illegal to lock access to the propane tanks. You can lock them in place and they can be behind an unlocked door but you can't lock access to the valves themselves.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Guys let's keep on topic. Several off topic posts have been deleted. Thanks.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #11

I really hadn't considered that propane valves have to be accessible. Its because of it being on the road. You can lock them at the house both the tank from being picked up and the valves from being tapered with

Playharder's suggesting of me getting two tongue mounted boxes makes more sense that way the LP box can stay unlocked and the generator box and battery box can be locked. It might make more economical sense just to leave the propane tanks as is. I have heard of a tanks being stolen, but that has to be rare. Let see what the minimum needed for the Honda generator and batteries only would require.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #12

Bought the DeeZee DZ91717 it fits inside tongue A-frame; sitting it on top presented too many obstacles. The lower it sits the better. WDH and propane tank and factory cover are good. The lid does hit the tongue light so slightly.

I am just now contemplating how to mount it securely. Its tight at the front but about 1-1/4" loose at the back each side. The box is a little flimsy so I think it will take more than simply bolting through sides. Especially considering the weight of two batteries.

Probably will take angle iron side to side at both front and rear bottoms, like the waste tanks are mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1439131257850.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	85214   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439131297680.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	85215   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439131451422.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	85216  

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #13

those wd hangers should be about 27 or 30 inches back from ball centerline depending on bar. they look a little close to ball imo. batteries gas caustic vapors. gen set needs lots of ventilation. if its a leave in place operation from that box, you want to line it for noise and corrosion. looks good on there...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
those wd hangers should be about 27 or 30 inches back from ball centerline depending on bar. they look a little close to ball imo. batteries gas caustic vapors. gen set needs lots of ventilation. if its a leave in place operation from that box, you want to line it for noise and corrosion. looks good on there...
Thanks C, the hangers are where they've been. I have the Reese Dual-cam and the chain hange vertical down to the cam arm.

Runnning the generator in the box isn't an option; even carrying it there excludes the batteries from being in there. I could mount the batteries in the generator box on a sliding shelf, but not sure yet.

Making an under frame mount for the dump hose opens up the gen box for other purposes, since I carry the hose and pieces there in a plastic box.

Batteries on the bottom of the box with a shelf separating from other items carried towards the top of the box (chocks, cord, hose, protector, etc) is what I'm leaning towards doing.

You are right about providing good ventilation. I've seen some small aluminum vents that pop into a drilled hole... about 1-1/2".

I'm thinking about painting the inside with bed liner "stuff". I've thought about doing that to the outside as well... would look better in black

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas