Old 10-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedread View Post
MX411

Looking at that golf cart on one side made me wonder about your weight on that side of the trailer. You might want to check your load balance from side to side if you get a chance. You probably have it covered but the carts I have hauled were heavy!!

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Yeah I was thinking along those lines too. I tried to put it in the middle on return trip but can't load the bikes that way. I also have that heavy generator in that pic I'll no longer be taking. It's around 250# and bulky. Those 3 bikes weigh around 300 but not sure about the cart. I put the two Honda 2000's up in the front already where a generator would go and will be putting another 3000 watt gen on the tongue by lp tanks but that's prob not gonna do it. Just amazed me how quick the towing changed!

2016 29HFS Hyper Lite
2016 Ram 2500 CTD
mx411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #12

Toy Hauler loading and tongue weight question

Don't underestimate the weight of a golf cart. They are heavy!

Simply moving the golf cart in more, closer to the axles, will make a big difference.

It isn't just about how much weight is in the garage, but where that weight is located within the garage.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #13

Yes they are! And take up a lot of room. I have it all the way forward which leaves a few inches behind it. It's a barely fit with 10' garage.

2016 29HFS Hyper Lite
2016 Ram 2500 CTD
mx411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #14

I pull a Desert Fox with a couple Harley's in it a couple times over the years... many times my quad or motocross bikes in it.

I park the bikes as close to the axles as I can get them.... the rest of the trailer is built to be about right when it has water in the tank and food / gear in it.
The key is to keep the weight manageable. One thing I really have to look at is the tires... they are rated for the GVW of the trailer. If you add two Harley's at 800 lbs each, you can get over loaded quick. (I have an 18 footer with two axels)

As a rule, after the bikes are in, I try to even out the weight of the gear 1/1 front to back... keep it even. I also use load equalizers on the hitch to keep it all from getting to crazy back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laughlin 2011 007.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	122213  
Days Camped 30
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneaero View Post
I was going to strap down a condor wheel chock and use tie downs to secure the bike. I have seen the Biker Bar but I'm not sure if I want to leave all that hardware on the floor that people could trip over. Can you quickly remove the floor peice for a cleaner look after a haul?
IMO, strapping down the Condor is not safe or secure. My previous TH had tie down rings in the floor. I spanned the 2 forward most rings with an aluminum 2" X3" angle stock about 3 feet long (if it was steel, you'd call it angle iron). Cut slots in the angle that fit over the tie down rings and put heavy clips through the rings. Then bolted the Condor to the aluminum angle. I used eye bolts for the bolts and put my tie down straps from the bike to the eye bolts. I wish I had a picture because its actually easier than it sounds.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
IMO, strapping down the Condor is not safe or secure. My previous TH had tie down rings in the floor. I spanned the 2 forward most rings with an aluminum 2" X3" angle stock about 3 feet long (if it was steel, you'd call it angle iron). Cut slots in the angle that fit over the tie down rings and put heavy clips through the rings. Then bolted the Condor to the aluminum angle. I used eye bolts for the bolts and put my tie down straps from the bike to the eye bolts. I wish I had a picture because its actually easier than it sounds.
Sounds like a great setup. I may have to try that to avoid drilling holes into the floor of the garage.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedread View Post
MX411

Looking at that golf cart on one side made me wonder about your weight on that side of the trailer. You might want to check your load balance from side to side if you get a chance. You probably have it covered but the carts I have hauled were heavy!!

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
My cart, club car, gas, is 750# FYi
Old 10-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #18
Crookedread

Thats not as heavy as I thought! I forgot about the gas carts.

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Old 10-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #19

My Yamaha G19 is 560lbs empty and 938lbs with 6 Trojan T-875 batteries. Roof and roof struts, radio with speakers, DC/DC converter, 4" lift kit and back seat I'm most likely approaching 1,100 lbs! That thing is heavy!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #20
Crookedread

That's more like I was thinking. More than enough to overload one side of the axles.

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312

Tags
tongue weight, toy hauler, weight