Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #1

Toy Hauler loading and tongue weight question

We are still waiting for delivery of our new XLR 29HFS so please excuse our newbie questions regarding loading and tongue weights.

Question regarding tongue weight:

I know that to reduce sway, you should be 10-15% of total trailer weight on the tongue. So lets say the weight for the 29HFS is 8,000 lbs with no toy in the garage. The published tongue weight of an empty trailer is around 1,100 lbs. Thats darn near the 15% of the total trailer weight already. What does adding in a 1000 lbs motorcycle do to the tongue weight? How does one "balance" and "redistribute" the weight after loading in the motorcycle? Canned food under the bed? Do I need to purchase a tongue scale? [btw, im no where near a truck weigh station]

Question on loading the motorcycle:

Whats the process of loading in a motorcycle? My fully dressed harley is low so I will need to raise the tongue to clear the ramp.

Is this the correct steps in order:
  1. Chock wheels
  2. Raise front to decrease ramp angle
  3. Ride motorcycle into garage
  4. Strap motorcycle into place
  5. Lower tongue onto tow vehicle
Thanks for helping out a newbie!
Toneaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #2

Im a way from my PC where lives a weight Guess-Tomater. from memory 2000# with its CG about 44" from bathroom wall takes about 440# (ish) off the tongue moving it to the rear axle pair. Its easy to be below 10% TW because you are both adding cargo and decreasing the ratio, but if your GVWR can handle it, add fresh water to raise the ratio. Your steps to load low rider ... add "lower rear stabs" between raise front and ride up. Probably not necessary but i do it out if habit.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneaero View Post
We are still waiting for delivery of our new XLR 29HFS so please excuse our newbie questions regarding loading and tongue weights.

Question on loading the motorcycle:

Whats the process of loading in a motorcycle? My fully dressed harley is low so I will need to raise the tongue to clear the ramp.

Is this the correct steps in order:
  1. Chock wheels
  2. Raise front to decrease ramp angle
  3. Ride motorcycle into garage
  4. Strap motorcycle into place
  5. Lower tongue onto tow vehicle
Thanks for helping out a newbie!
A couple more suggestions: Before you ride up the ramp, place 2X8X6 foot long boards on either side of the front wheel with half the board on the ramp and half on the ground. Once the front wheel starts up the ramp your feet will no longer reach the ground and the boards will be very handy! When unloading, leave the bike in 1st gear with engine off. Use the clutch as a rear brake while gently using the front hand brake. It's easy to lose traction on the front when backing down the ramp (ask me how I know).
Old 10-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #4

This was just posted on FB about towing tongue weights. Cool video..

https://www.facebook.com/xlrtoyhauler/
Old 10-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #5

Roughly: every 2.5 pounds in the garage (behind the axles) removes 1 pound of tongue weight. So your 1000 pound bike takes 400 pounds off the tongue. This can vary slightly depending upon how far back from the axles your bike is, but it's a good general starting point. I usually put some water in the FW tank (forward of the axles) to add some tongue weight back on.

As for loading: there are several threads on here about it, but you're on the right track. If you can have the tongue up high, it'll lower the garage entry height and you'll have a less steep ramp and less of an entry angle. I actually leave mine hooked to the truck for loading and unloading, but mine is a 5th wheel and is "front high" when hooked up. Your particular rig may not be so much.

How are you planning to secure the bike? Wheel chock, straps, etc? Might I suggest the Biker Bar. Works with Harley touring bikes (they actually have bars for touring, dyna, and sportster.). I'll never go back to straps.

And +1 on the unloading suggestions above about using the clutch to brake the rear wheel. Much safer and controlled.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #6

I can't find my notes right now but memory tells me I had 6,600 pounds TT weight without my Harley loaded. Tongue weight per Sherline scale is about 1,250. Loaded with front wheel of Road Glide Ultra between the TT axles gives TT weight of 7,550 and tongue weight at about 1,125. Towing with the Harley loaded is just slightly better handling and no change to truck performance (power) or gas mileage. If I can ever find the right tank I'm going to put 50 gallons of water about three feet behind the rear axle to provide ballast to duplicate the Harley loaded weight.

If you're concerned about dragging the frame when loading look at the Vengeance line of trailers. They all have the beaver tail and dragging is never a problem. Personally I wouldn't own a trailer that required raising the ramp starting point or raising the tongue height to prevent dragging. Riding a 900+ pound motorcycle up the ramp is a tricky task and requires a little bit of extra riding skill. Adding more complexity to the task is not the safest thing.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
How are you planning to secure the bike? Wheel chock, straps, etc? Might I suggest the Biker Bar. Works with Harley touring bikes (they actually have bars for touring, dyna, and sportster.). I'll never go back to straps..
I was going to strap down a condor wheel chock and use tie downs to secure the bike. I have seen the Biker Bar but I'm not sure if I want to leave all that hardware on the floor that people could trip over. Can you quickly remove the floor peice for a cleaner look after a haul?
Old 10-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
I was going to strap down a condor wheel chock and use tie downs to secure the bike. I have seen the Biker Bar but I'm not sure if I want to leave all that hardware on the floor that people could trip over. Can you quickly remove the floor peice for a cleaner look after a haul?
You can remove it if you want to, but I don't, it wasn't worth it, I just leave mine in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
If you're concerned about dragging the frame when loading look at the Vengeance line of trailers. They all have the beaver tail and dragging is never a problem. Personally I wouldn't own a trailer that required raising the ramp starting point or raising the tongue height to prevent dragging. Riding a 900+ pound motorcycle up the ramp is a tricky task and requires a little bit of extra riding skill. Adding more complexity to the task is not the safest thing.
The XLR also has a beaver tail, many of the other lines do too. As for raising the tongue to load and unload...to each his own, but I don't find it a problem at all, and many others don't either. To say you "wouldn't own one" that you have to raise the ramp (and again, I don't think you HAVE to, it just makes it a little easier,) you're eliminating a lot of potential models from your list for a very minor feature/issue.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDon View Post
This was just posted on FB about towing tongue weights. Cool video..

https://www.facebook.com/xlrtoyhauler/

Yep. Exactly what happens. My towing was rock solid with just the dirt bikes and rest of the crap for a race weekend in garage. Family wanted a golf cart at the track and whoaaaaa the sway that added. And that's with a full load of water. Definitely need to figure out a way to get some weight forward. But golf cart makes for a great set of shelves for packing!!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1475679151.120258.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	122198Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1475679169.638889.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	122200

2016 29HFS Hyper Lite
2016 Ram 2500 CTD
mx411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
Crookedread

MX411

Looking at that golf cart on one side made me wonder about your weight on that side of the trailer. You might want to check your load balance from side to side if you get a chance. You probably have it covered but the carts I have hauled were heavy!!

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedread View Post
MX411

Looking at that golf cart on one side made me wonder about your weight on that side of the trailer. You might want to check your load balance from side to side if you get a chance. You probably have it covered but the carts I have hauled were heavy!!

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Yeah I was thinking along those lines too. I tried to put it in the middle on return trip but can't load the bikes that way. I also have that heavy generator in that pic I'll no longer be taking. It's around 250# and bulky. Those 3 bikes weigh around 300 but not sure about the cart. I put the two Honda 2000's up in the front already where a generator would go and will be putting another 3000 watt gen on the tongue by lp tanks but that's prob not gonna do it. Just amazed me how quick the towing changed!

2016 29HFS Hyper Lite
2016 Ram 2500 CTD
Old 10-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #12

Toy Hauler loading and tongue weight question

Don't underestimate the weight of a golf cart. They are heavy!

Simply moving the golf cart in more, closer to the axles, will make a big difference.

It isn't just about how much weight is in the garage, but where that weight is located within the garage.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #13

Yes they are! And take up a lot of room. I have it all the way forward which leaves a few inches behind it. It's a barely fit with 10' garage.

2016 29HFS Hyper Lite
2016 Ram 2500 CTD
Old 10-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #14

I pull a Desert Fox with a couple Harley's in it a couple times over the years... many times my quad or motocross bikes in it.

I park the bikes as close to the axles as I can get them.... the rest of the trailer is built to be about right when it has water in the tank and food / gear in it.
The key is to keep the weight manageable. One thing I really have to look at is the tires... they are rated for the GVW of the trailer. If you add two Harley's at 800 lbs each, you can get over loaded quick. (I have an 18 footer with two axels)

As a rule, after the bikes are in, I try to even out the weight of the gear 1/1 front to back... keep it even. I also use load equalizers on the hitch to keep it all from getting to crazy back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laughlin 2011 007.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	122213  
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #15

Quote:
IMO, strapping down the Condor is not safe or secure. My previous TH had tie down rings in the floor. I spanned the 2 forward most rings with an aluminum 2" X3" angle stock about 3 feet long (if it was steel, you'd call it angle iron). Cut slots in the angle that fit over the tie down rings and put heavy clips through the rings. Then bolted the Condor to the aluminum angle. I used eye bolts for the bolts and put my tie down straps from the bike to the eye bolts. I wish I had a picture because its actually easier than it sounds.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
IMO, strapping down the Condor is not safe or secure. My previous TH had tie down rings in the floor. I spanned the 2 forward most rings with an aluminum 2" X3" angle stock about 3 feet long (if it was steel, you'd call it angle iron). Cut slots in the angle that fit over the tie down rings and put heavy clips through the rings. Then bolted the Condor to the aluminum angle. I used eye bolts for the bolts and put my tie down straps from the bike to the eye bolts. I wish I had a picture because its actually easier than it sounds.
Sounds like a great setup. I may have to try that to avoid drilling holes into the floor of the garage.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedread View Post
MX411

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
My cart, club car, gas, is 750# FYi
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #18
Crookedread

Thats not as heavy as I thought! I forgot about the gas carts.

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Old 10-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #19

My Yamaha G19 is 560lbs empty and 938lbs with 6 Trojan T-875 batteries. Roof and roof struts, radio with speakers, DC/DC converter, 4" lift kit and back seat I'm most likely approaching 1,100 lbs! That thing is heavy!
Bart98stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #20
Crookedread

That's more like I was thinking. More than enough to overload one side of the axles.

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312

Tags
tongue weight, toy hauler, weight