Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Travelling with liquids

I saw this on another post but it was too old to respond to.

How much water does everyone travel with? When I picked up my 27HFS, the water tank was 3/4 full. I didn't notice this til I got it home, but I did notice the sloshing when I was coming down a very steep hill on Highway 101 and needed to brake.

One of the problems with water, or any large capacity liquid containers, is that when you accelerate or slow down, unless it is either topped off or empty, it sloshes. Consider your 60 gallon tank with only 45 gallons in it. That's 360 gallons (+/-) moving from one end of the tank to the other end of the tank upon acceleration or deceleration. I noticed this as I was coming down the Conejo Grade (approx 7%) and trying to brake near the bottom. You can definitely feel it.

I would prefer to travel with all TT tanks empty and a couple of 5 gallon jugs secured inside for flushing and other incidental H2O needs.

So the question is...how much water do you typically travel with in your freshwater tank?

Bikepsych
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #2

I carry none. State parks have water tank fill facility and of course when you have full hookups you do not need it.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Always Learning

I keep ours a little more than 1/2 full when starting out for trips. I haven't dealt with any grades like you mention, but also haven't noticed any change in handling.

(Edit to add, after seeing the prior post.) I have only camped with full hookups. I keep the water there for:
- on the road potty stops
- the ability to overnight w/ minimal hookups (i.e. just electric)
- in case there is a water problem when I arrive at the campground (hasn't happened yet)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepsych View Post

Consider your 60 gallon tank with only 45 gallons in it. That's 360 gallons (+/-) moving from one end of the tank to the other end of the tank upon acceleration or deceleration.
Should that be 360 pounds ??

If going to a campground with hookups, I typically travel with several gallons in my tank. Enough to flush the toilet for bathroom stops, and hand washing duties.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepsych View Post
I saw this on another post but it was too old to respond to.

How much water does everyone travel with?

Bikepsych
If I know I will have water hookups at my next stop, then none. If I know there is no hookup and I will be staying a few days or there is no place close to fill the tank, then I will travel with all my 100 gal capacity.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #6

FW tank is always full.
Toilet, drinking, washing hands and there is always the chance that one of the dogs will get into something at a rest stop. We could fire up the heater and wash them.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #7

I rarely dry camp. If the trip is only 2-3 hours I don't take any water. Anything over 3 hours I'll put about 10 gallons in the freshwater tank for toilet use.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #8

I pretty much strictly boondock so my tank is full to the brim.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #9

We travel with about 15 gal, plus or minus. The reason we have water is multifold:

1. We've been in National, State, and even private parks where these camps did not have water.
2. At times the water was bad.
3. Once in a while, we'd stop for lunch, or even a night somewhere-- Camping World, etc. Without water, it's tough to use the bathroom.
4. And we do some dry camping.

At 8.34 pounds per gal, 15 gal weighs 125.1 pounds. Unless your rig is extremely light, then--- why worry?

An added note: we never put water in the tank unless it's filtered first through a sand filter, and then a carbon filter. Adding unfiltered water to a partial good tank may contaminate everything, including your taps.

Good luck
Mike
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
FW tank is always full.
Toilet, drinking, washing hands and there is always the chance that one of the dogs will get into something at a rest stop. We could fire up the heater and wash them.
This brought back memories for me. A couple years ago I stopped at a pull-off in NW Colorado to grab a drink and a sandwich. Figured it was a good place to let the dog out. She managed to find a fresh cow pie! Glad I had water on board!

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

We never haul any water, heck we never even use the fresh water tank, except to flush tanks and and stuff moving trailer around at the house.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
jdadoug

Water

I've never put water in the FW tank yet........ but we only live 30 min. from our CG. (full hookups)
But..... I do put at least 5 gallons down the stool and sinks to aid in keeping the grey and black tanks clean. I also add the Calgon and washing soda.
I always dump before we leave for home. If I had a dumping station here at home I would bring it home and dump here, just to get the extra swishing action.
jdadoug