Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
RFK

Thanks, just one fuel tank. Based on the prior responses I should be hearing a low pitch whirring sound from the primer when I hold the rocker switch for 30 seconds. At this point I'd like to see if everything is connected right but don't have any info on primer system. I know there is a full gas tank and the battery is fully charged. The starter spins quickly and I can keep it going with starting fluid. Something is causing no fuel to flow to the carb. I really appreciate the input

2007 Harley Electra Glide Classic
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK View Post
Thanks, just one fuel tank. Based on the prior responses I should be hearing a low pitch whirring sound from the primer when I hold the rocker switch for 30 seconds. At this point I'd like to see if everything is connected right but don't have any info on primer system. I know there is a full gas tank and the battery is fully charged. The starter spins quickly and I can keep it going with starting fluid. Something is causing no fuel to flow to the carb. I really appreciate the input
Carb float might be stuck. Keeping the needle valve closed not letting fuel into the bowl.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK View Post
That set up is still under warranty therefore I suggest you involve the dealer at this point. It might be a bad priming pump (Onan) but then it may be a bad install, improper suction line routing, too much suction for the pump fitted etc. You've proven the gen is fine, it operates on direct injection. If you fool with too much it may void what you have.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
RFK

Thanks VinceU, good advice, I will reach out to them in the morning. You're right, if I mess with it to much I may own it. I appreciate all the information. I'll post the outcome once I have it.

Thanks again
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
10x

Sounds like the fuel pump is not working, maybe check to see if the pump has a fuse.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
XLR Production

I would say the pump is bad. Onan had an issue with them and has replaced A LOT of them. If you have plenty of battery power and you do not here the primer it's the pump.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
RFK

So far nothing, but after working with another XLR owner with a similar issue I called the dealer who is working on getting a local rep to come out. I guess FR had an install problem with kinked fuel lines and a gas tank that is to high to allow filling without a big mess. Sounds like they plan to drop the tank two inches and take the generator out to fix the line. They must of had someone over tired on the line that day. I'm hoping that does the trick. Thanks again
Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
Anacortesians

The typical Onan fuel pump is a diaphragm type, so the clicking is the pump running. On my '02, before I started having problems, the prime switch caused the pump to click quickly then slow down and stop, indicating that the carb float-bowl had filled. The generator would then start readily.

Now, the prime doesn't stop and I get a very rich start attempt and then it runs for a couple of seconds and shuts down. I think the float isn't floating any more. Still working on the problem!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #19

Wink

I had trouble starting mine on our 2680 the first time but determined I had to adjust the altitude level on the front of the gen...we are at 6500 ft and it was set for sea level. It worked ok at the dealer in Des Moine though but do not think they are that high up in the sky.

Works first time every time now..knock on wood.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
RFK

Well, to add more to the issue, there is no water making it to the pump from the tank. The city water hook up works fine, but nothing at all from the onboard system. I'm beginning to think maybe Forest River forgot to hook up the connections. We'll see what the dealer finds. I may just take down the liner and have a quick look to see what's going on.