Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 10:31 PM   #1

Water In Underbelly

Just returned home last night from two week trip to Black Hills, Yellowstone, and Tetons. Great trip overall. Unfortunately, while checking things out on one of our many stops, during the return, I found the dreaded sagging underbelly (on the axles) with water dripping. I poked a hole in it and let it drain the rest of the way home and pulled the underbelly off this evening. Thinking I would likely have a fitting leak at the fresh water tank, I filled it up but found nothing. I then proceeded to fill all the holding tanks completely full and pressurized everything. Still no apparent leak. I'm kind of stumped. We did drive through some rain coming home but I can't imagine this amount of water getting inside. My only other idea is that I had a roof vent stack cap off for an uncertain amount of time. Pretty certain it was the one for the black water tank. There was a bit of a gap around the pipe. Perhaps that might be it? Anyway, any input is appreciated.

One additional tip... On my way out, I lost a bolt out of the rear leaf spring perch on the back axle. Discovered it when we pulled into KOA in Rock Island, IL. Mine has the Correct Track system with the yellow cams. The bolt and cams were all missing. Was lucky enough to find some ancient Correct Track parts at Cheyenne, RV (Great folks!) by the World's Largest Truck Stop. They weren't exact fit but, after a trip to Lowes for a jack, I was able to get both wheels on that side off the ground and get things lined back up and safe.

Here's the tip. Check all the bolts if you have this set up. I put a wrench on the remainder of mine and all could be tightened. They weren't necessarily loose but could be tightened.

I will try to find the correct part for mine this week.

Thanks for any input on the water thing.

Jeff
31fqsl
Mainous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainous View Post
Just returned home last night from two week trip to Black Hills, Yellowstone, and Tetons. Great trip overall. Unfortunately, while checking things out on one of our many stops, during the return, I found the dreaded sagging underbelly (on the axles) with water dripping. I poked a hole in it and let it drain the rest of the way home and pulled the underbelly off this evening. Thinking I would likely have a fitting leak at the fresh water tank, I filled it up but found nothing. I then proceeded to fill all the holding tanks completely full and pressurized everything. Still no apparent leak. I'm kind of stumped. We did drive through some rain coming home but I can't imagine this amount of water getting inside. My only other idea is that I had a roof vent stack cap off for an uncertain amount of time. Pretty certain it was the one for the black water tank. There was a bit of a gap around the pipe. Perhaps that might be it? Anyway, any input is appreciated.

One additional tip... On my way out, I lost a bolt out of the rear leaf spring perch on the back axle. Discovered it when we pulled into KOA in Rock Island, IL. Mine has the Correct Track system with the yellow cams. The bolt and cams were all missing. Was lucky enough to find some ancient Correct Track parts at Cheyenne, RV (Great folks!) by the World's Largest Truck Stop. They weren't exact fit but, after a trip to Lowes for a jack, I was able to get both wheels on that side off the ground and get things lined back up and safe.

Here's the tip. Check all the bolts if you have this set up. I put a wrench on the remainder of mine and all could be tightened. They weren't necessarily loose but could be tightened.

I will try to find the correct part for mine this week.

Thanks for any input on the water thing.

Jeff
31fqsl
M, it sounds like your belly pan is different than mine. I have coroplast and no insulation above other than what I stapled to the floor. The vent stack cap off in the rain should just run into a tank not the belly. I wonder if you might have filled the FW tank and experienced that auto siphon situation? Which would also mean the overflow was not extended below the belly. Also, when I installed Dexter EZ Flex, I found some bolts not all that tight. I torqued them and will check again. Thanks for the tip.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #3

If you're saying there was space around the stack pipe, as in no caulking between it and the roof membrane, that's the first area I'd suspect was leaking.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

Wow, and hear I thought I only had the water in the belly anomaly. Mine happened while on site getting another minor repair done. Woke up in the morning and the belly was sagging. Techs came out, drained and we checked everything that we could think of and came up dry. Has not happened since. This was about 5 months ago and we've spent at least 30 nights in the camper.
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:37 AM   #5

I have to say, after reading some other posts about the insulation and such in the underbellies, I was actually a bit impressed with what I found. On top of the corrugated pastic was a 4" layer of insulation covered by a layer of foil. Mine does have the weather package. There is also a padded layer of insulation attached directly to the floor as well. On the other hand, every one of the heat pads were partially peeling from their respective tank and the hose going between the fresh water tank and the water pump was actually coiled a couple times and would never drain properly.

I wanted to get in that cavity at some point to get an overall view of the plumbing and wiring anyway. I just hate being forced and will be really aggravated if I take measures to tidy it up and seal it well only to have this happen again.

Regarding the stack, yes it is properly sealed to the roof membrane and caulked down. The gap I speak of is between the actual stack pipe and the flange it pokes through below the cap. Some moisture would have went down the stack for sure but some could have gotten between the pipe and flange and ran down the length of the pipe. My drain and vent protrude well below the surface of the underbelly.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

-2016 XLR Nitro 31 FQSL
-2006 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
Old 07-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #6

I had the sagging belly and there was two culprits one being the overflow drain hose was never pulled out and it was tucked into the under belly and the second being that the plastic was not sealed all the way around the edge so driving through any rain storm was filling the belly up. I had the same thing happen to my 29 hfs and when I sealed it no more problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Just returned home last night from two week trip to Black Hills, Yellowstone, and Tetons. Great trip overall. Unfortunately, while checking things out on one of our many stops, during the return, I found the dreaded sagging underbelly (on the axles) with water dripping. I poked a hole in it and let it drain the rest of the way home and pulled the underbelly off this evening. Thinking I would likely have a fitting leak at the fresh water tank, I filled it up but found nothing. I then proceeded to fill all the holding tanks completely full and pressurized everything. Still no apparent leak. I'm kind of stumped. We did drive through some rain coming home but I can't imagine this amount of water getting inside. My only other idea is that I had a roof vent stack cap off for an uncertain amount of time. Pretty certain it was the one for the black water tank. There was a bit of a gap around the pipe. Perhaps that might be it? Anyway, any input is

Jeff
31fqsl

Did you use your black tank flush during this trip?

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #8

my old Greywolf 21RR had a factory screw into the shower drain between shower and gray tank. It was hard to find since it leaked only when using the shower, BTW
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #9

I did and I used it to fill the tank when testing for leaks. I didn't see anything there. After seeing egladden's response, I'm leaning towards it being from driving in the rain. The rear edge was not sealed very well at all and the tire spray likely got in there.

Jeff

-2016 XLR Nitro 31 FQSL
Old 07-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #10

Quote:
I did and I used it to fill the tank when testing for leaks. I didn't see anything there. After seeing egladden's response, I'm leaning towards it being from driving in the rain. The rear edge was not sealed very well at all and the tire spray likely got in there.

Did you have the black tank drain valve close while using the black tank flush? I had a similar issue while doing this on the same unit as yours.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
Old 07-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #11

R3

My normal procedure when closing up shop is to start by opening black water valve and let things start to drain. At this point, I move my water hose over to the black tank flush port and turn it on. When I hear only the water from the flush passing through the lines, I open both gray valves to push everything through and flush the slinky.

Last night while testing for leaks was the first time I ran the flush with the black water valve closed with the idea of getting the tank completely full. To your point, I remember a sticker inside the water door that states something about running the flush and sanitary contamination.

What am I missing? Can you explain what happened in your case a bit further?

Jeff

-2016 XLR Nitro 31 FQSL
Old 07-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #12

Quote:
R3

My normal procedure when closing up shop is to start by opening black water valve and let things start to drain. At this point, I move my water hose over to the black tank flush port and turn it on. When I hear only the water from the flush passing through the lines, I open both gray valves to push everything through and flush the slinky.

Last night while testing for leaks was the first time I ran the flush with the black water valve closed with the idea of getting the tank completely full. To your point, I remember a sticker inside the water door that states something about running the flush and sanitary contamination.

What am I missing? Can you explain what happened in your case a bit further?

I made the mistake one time and turned on the flush without opening the black valve and it resulted in water in my underbelly. I'm not sure if there is a blowoff on the top of the tank or what. When I partially removed the underbelly to dry things out I didn't get a good look at the black tank.

Bottom line is I haven't had any more issues since I make sure the black tank valve is open before flushing.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #13

Ok, thanks for the info.

Jeff

-2016 XLR Nitro 31 FQSL
Old 09-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #14

I just got home from Myrtle Beach and found the sagging underbelly. I notice while flushing my black tank that the tank was not draining very well. I had the water running into the black tank flush for quite some time. The other option is I drove through hurricane Hermine Friday night and it could be rain water. What has everyone used to seal the underbelly after drying it out? Thanks for the advice.
Jeff Auton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #15
Experience by Repair

Underbelly

Had a sagger so bad it fell down n was dragging down road on my first trip out with a brand new unit. Found a clamp not tight on fresh water tank in rear. Fixed clamp and repaired underbelly. Had it sagging again bad enough I too poked a knife in it and it drained what seemed like forever....pulled belly down on one edge that I had already repaired and could see a drip just in front of axel from opposite side. took in and told them I had a leak...they said it was rain water as your guys suggested...I said no way as I had the belly down for a couple hours in my shop and I could still see it dripping, there is no way that wet insulation is doing this....it is leaking. After an hour of heated discussion with service guys they took underbelly down and did a complete check of fresh water system...darn right, there were 2 more clamps that did not get crimped at factory and every time I hooked up to put water in fresh system or flush tanks just in case....I was shooting water all over underneath. Now, there could have been some rain water splash in from the original shabby seal....but check all the darn hose clamps you can. Been dry for a month now
JJ XLR Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #16
Site Team

Excellent advice by all.

Those enclosed underbellies are a blessing and a curse. A blessing when camping in cold weather and a curse if you ever have to get into them to repair anything.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #17
Site Team

I had it happen once. Water in the sagging plastic belly cover. Never found the problem and never happened again. Its been about 2 years since. ??

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #18

I think the water in mine is due to driving in very heavy rain for four hours. I will never do that again unless I can help it. I have tried all sources of water and nothing leaks.
Jeff Auton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #19

Hope you made sure they replaced the insulation.
Heypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #20

how does everyone get the black underbelly off? it doesnt seem to be attached with normal screws. mine has some sagging, but i assumeed it as frfom just being almost cardstock like. although i had that suction leak that WWwas talking about i think...

i wanted to drop the cover so i could check 4 more leakage and for the future planning of putting in pitbull motorcycle restraints and e tracks
MotoCrazy808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
underbelly, water