Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #1

Water Pump Input Line PEX or Vinyl?

Is your water pump input line a cheap vinyl/garden hose all the way to the tank on the 27HFS? Or did it switch to Pex before it went through the floor?

The reason I ask is we have garden hose all way to the tank and it got a kink in the line that we had to replace when dry camping. Fun, trying to repair it without losing all the water. It also burned up the pump. Ended up using buckets of water from the fresh tank until we could get a replacement...

We repaired it with a heavier vinyl (all the Mammoth Lakes hardware store had), but I think I'm going to replace that with Pex and just leave the vinyl about 1 foot from the pump for vibration.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #2

Mine was all PEX, but the air bladder kit that I purchased uses two short lengths of vinyl hose to connect into the plumbing. That's after the pump, though, not before. Tank to pump is all PEX (the whole 11 inches they are separated).

Since the pump pulls a low-grade vacuum to pull water in, a too-soft vinyl line between the pump and the tank might collapse, preventing adequete water flow. (Kind of the same as over-pumping a low-volume hydrant!)

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
Mine was all PEX, but the air bladder kit that I purchased uses two short lengths of vinyl hose to connect into the plumbing. That's after the pump, though, not before. Tank to pump is all PEX (the whole 11 inches they are separated).

Since the pump pulls a low-grade vacuum to pull water in, a too-soft vinyl line between the pump and the tank might collapse, preventing adequete water flow. (Kind of the same as over-pumping a low-volume hydrant!)
Solid PEX pump to tank sounds like a recipe for a loud pump. The commercial "sound proofing kit" adds 2 short white hoses on each end of the pump.

SHURflo Pump Silencer Kit - Hypro-shurflo Llc 94-591-01 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

I'd still keep a about 6-12 inches from the pump to the PEX for vibration/noise. That's what they did on the output of the pump. But, on the input they went vinyl all the way back to the tank. So, I'd do PEX and similarly keep 6-12 inches of vinyl.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #5

Just converted to PEX and kept about 12 inches of vinyl at the pump for vibration. Hopefully, this fixes that. Now, just need a better solution for the fresh water tank vent hose...