Old 03-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #1

Weight Distribution Setup and Figures - Does this look O.K.?

I was trying to get rid of some of the bouncing when you hit a bump in the road. (porpoise effect)

TV: 2014 Silverado CC 4X4
TH: 24 FQSL Nitro (6176 Dry Weight)
WDH: Reese Dual Cam 12000/1200 Trunnion Bars

Ball Height - 25 1/4"
TRLR Coupler Height - 23 1/4" (with TRLR Level)

Truck Rear Wheel Well Unhitched - 37 1/2"
Truck Front Wheel Well Unhitched - 36"

Measurements hooked up ready to pull:

Rear Wheel Well - 36"
Front Wheel Well - 35 7/8"

I am about an hour and a half to the nearest CAT scales so I can't go and have it weighted very easy. I know i should not be very heavy at all because we have not loaded any motorcycles yet. I drop 4 chain links when i hook up and the bars look good and tight.

This setup took about 60-70% of the bounce out. Should I just be happy with this or should i look at maybe adding airbags to the TV?

TIA for your thoughts and suggestions.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:01 PM   #2

from the above measurements, looks like you only have a 1/2 inch squat with the trailer. your rear springs should be able to take the load of the motorcycles, provided they are less than 500lbs each. I think when you load the MC and their equipment, you should re-measure and go from there. I had to put air bags on my tundra due to the rear springs flatting out under the load.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:48 AM   #3

Wire Wrat, take another look at the figures. I have 1 1/2" squat when hooked up.
The TV springs are compressed down to the helper springs when hooked up. One MC weights 810 lbs and the other around 350-400 lbs.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #4

HMR, measurements look about right, to me.

You might want to add a signature line showing your equipment so we can see what you tow and tow with.

If Hyperlite 29 and very similar to mine; I would say that 1200# with two bikes as forward as possible (center of gravity about 6 feet behind axle pair center) will lighten the tongue about 360#, thus placing 1560# more on the axle pair... so load front of trailer as far forward as possible with your gear, so TW isn't too light. If you can do it without exceeding GVWR, add fresh water... again assuming your FW tank is between tongue and axles... with nothing but the bikes, the TWR would be less than 8% .

I would want to reweigh with bikes and gear, as well as the TV loaded just like it will be when traveling, fuel, people, animals, etc.
WW
Old 03-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
I was trying to get rid of some of the bouncing when you hit a bump in the road. (porpoise effect)

TV: 2014 Silverado CC 4X4
TH: 24 FQSL Nitro (6176 Dry Weight)
WDH: Reese Dual Cam 12000/1200 Trunnion Bars

Ball Height - 25 1/4"
TRLR Coupler Height - 23 1/4" (with TRLR Level)

Truck Rear Wheel Well Unhitched - 37 1/2"
Truck Front Wheel Well Unhitched - 36"

Measurements hooked up ready to pull:

Rear Wheel Well - 36"
Front Wheel Well - 35 7/8"

I am about an hour and a half to the nearest CAT scales so I can't go and have it weighted very easy. I know i should not be very heavy at all because we have not loaded any motorcycles yet. I drop 4 chain links when i hook up and the bars look good and tight.

This setup took about 60-70% of the bounce out. Should I just be happy with this or should i look at maybe adding airbags to the TV?

TIA for your thoughts and suggestions.
If that Silverado is only a half ton I would for sure add airbags. We have them on our F250 and enjoy the extra help with smooth ride and stability.
Also good to remember that the number of links you pull on the chain bears little relationship to the tension on the bars. The angle of your head ball changes the number of links you pull on the chain. With our rig now, if I pull four links the bars will hit so if I want that much tension I have to change the angle of the ball a little bit. Your best bet always is hook it up load it up and get it on a cat scale axle by axle side by side
Old 03-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #6

Hello hdmtnrider,

Your measurements state that your ball is 2 inches higher than the coupler. I think this is a mistake. Starting with the ball substantially higher than the coupler will not allow the weight distribution bars the proper amount of leverage, and the trailer will ride front high which will likely cause sway. I've set up several weight distribution hitches and gone to the scales with all setups so I'm confident that what I'm saying is correct. I would recommend that you adjust the ball to be exactly the height of the coupler, to a little higher - maybe 1/2 inch. The trailer will then ride level, to slightly nose down which is a much more stable configuration. The biggest thing though is the load distribution bars will be properly stressed resulting in more weight transfer to the front axle.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
Hello hdmtnrider,

Your measurements state that your ball is 2 inches higher than the coupler. I think this is a mistake. Starting with the ball substantially higher than the coupler will not allow the weight distribution bars the proper amount of leverage, and the trailer will ride front high which will likely cause sway. I've set up several weight distribution hitches and gone to the scales with all setups so I'm confident that what I'm saying is correct. I would recommend that you adjust the ball to be exactly the height of the coupler, to a little higher - maybe 1/2 inch. The trailer will then ride level, to slightly nose down which is a much more stable configuration. The biggest thing though is the load distribution bars will be properly stressed resulting in more weight transfer to the front axle.
Thanks Good Refresher Lesson. Been so long since I did ours I had forgotten the ways and hows we had used. We will be setting up a new trailer in a month or so and will be helping the BUYER hook up and tow our old one away even sooner I HOPE.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #8

I was having the same problem, even while using an the "equalizer" set up. My solution was to add some weight to the front of the TT, ie. ice chests, luggage, outdoor camping equipment.
My fresh water tank is in front the axles, keeping it full while traveling, took my porpoising away. I was traveling with no water trying too aide fuel consumption, big mistake in my situation.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #9

Don't have porpoising issue with the Andersen . no greasy bars to add to the bounce
no Sway either and from the looks of your figures it works as well distributing the weight.
buy the way when your hook up you the springs should be compressed at least to the overload springs and then some .
Old 03-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #10

Andersen recommends truck and trailer on level ground and making the trailer safe... setting the trailer level; measure top of hitch to ground. Then, on the truck adjust the ball height to be from 1-1/2" to 2" higher from the ground on first measurement. I have been doing the same on my Reese dual-cam and makes the most sense to me. Equalizer recommends setting the ball height to be equal to or less than the trailer hitch top to ground measurement. But, follow the hitch WDH manufacturers instructions.
WW

Tags
weight