Old 05-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #191

Completed the furnace mod. Removed and left off the furnace covers (both the one made of wood and the interior access cover); removed 2 ducts (moved them to the sides to act as return air vents); taped up the duct holes (2 layers) taped the furnace to the cabinet to direct the hot outward (filled the gap); added 10" x 10" louvered grill cover (painted black). This was Northstar1960 idea. Since we don't care about heating the garage, the heater will work much better and might actually put out 19K BTU (not 20K). I think a 12" x 12" grill would have worked a little better. Got grill and aluminum tape from HD.

Can't wait for Winter!! (Kidding!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431825927780.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	77154  

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #192

Nice job.
I finally got a round to figuring out how to store a ladder. I plan to use the empty bunk where the fuel cell would be. I need to drop the bottom of it 1 inch to accomodate the thickness of the ladder. I will just put new bolts in it and use washers for the spacers. I can hold the ladder in using a bung strap. Then I can use the ladder to clean the top of the slide when camping under trees.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #193

I haven't tackled the ladder storage yet. I have an old (repurposed) aluminum extension ladder section that just reaches the top of slide, all that's needed. I didn't bring it with me, but should every time.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Completed the furnace mod. Removed and left off the furnace covers (both the one made of wood and the interior access cover); removed 2 ducts (moved them to the sides to act as return air vents); taped up the duct holes (2 layers) taped the furnace to the cabinet to direct the hot outward (filled the gap); added 10" x 10" louvered grill cover (painted black). This was Northstar1960 idea. Since we don't care about heating the garage, the heater will work much better and might actually put out 19K BTU (not 20K). I think a 12" x 12" grill would have worked a little better. Got grill and aluminum tape from HD.

Can't wait for Winter!! (Kidding!)
Have you tested it ? what do you think ? a 12 x 12 would have fit, a bit bigger and given you something to screw to . i felt the 10x10 was a nicer fit and used the rollers that were there , just moved them down to the middle and the screws for the grill fit right between them and holds it on well . ready for your feed back and thoughts on this mod . Also i have a folding ladder that when open allows either a 3' self standing ladder 6' self standing or opened up 12 ' store it in the garage .
Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #195

NS, I did test it, but I haven't actually needed heat, so I've only run for a few minutes. The air velocity is low, but it certainly was putting out more heat than before. For me, the original catches were not in the right spots, so I drilled the grill on its edge so I wouldn't have to mess with the catches, but using them would be cleaner and doable. Where did you get your ladder NS?

Old 05-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #196

Attaching items to walls

We've had our XLR for 6 months now... so it's time to start modifying!
I know this is a silly question - but how easy is it to attach items to the walls (was looking at the shoe and broom holder). Is there a secret to screwing into a stud without putting excess holes in the walls?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spynedr View Post
We've had our XLR for 6 months now... so it's time to start modifying!
I know this is a silly question - but how easy is it to attach items to the walls (was looking at the shoe and broom holder). Is there a secret to screwing into a stud without putting excess holes in the walls?
you can feel the studs behind the paper thin wall coverings .
Old 05-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #198

For me, the original catches were not in the right spots,
for me either i moved them down
Old 05-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #199

it's a folding gorilla ladder all aluminum and right around 21 lb
Old 05-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #200

Thanks.

Tags
xlr