Old 08-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #31

Yes looks like the wire wore through somewhere, I picked the trailer up on a Thrusday. They worked when I brought it home. I towed it a couple hundred KM and setup to camp. Tried them and found the fuse blown.
Dealer has both lights removed and the issue is between the switch and where the lights hook up. Fuse is fine till you turn the switch on. Since it's new and still under warrenty i'm letting them fix it up.

Thanks for the link and info!

Toys-
Yamaha G9 Golf Cart
2010 Harley FLHX with lots of mods
bowtie_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #32

Insulation of floor nearing finality. With the belly off, I am tackling my next project, getting rear view cameras installed on the trailer and rear of truck. I kind of wished I had another camera so I can monitor the toy bay, but got to draw the line somewhere. I never knew how cool the cameras are, they can be triggered by backup (which I did know) but also left and right turn for those with side cameras, such as on a MH. You can also connect a DVD / DVR to it. I hooked it all up on the bench first to make sure everything works,,, and it does. Can't wait to try it out. But, first to finish the job.

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #33

Bowtie Guy,
I can better appreciate how hard it will be to fix the wiring trouble you are having. It would be nice to see one of these go together so you would know where to run wires. I had a time getting wiring from the center over the ramp to the side. One thing that is good news, the roof is insulated... hard to push a tape through or around it! Its the non-fiberglass stuff.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #34

Having our first full week of camping in the XLR, finding several mods that need to be made! Ordered electric sewer valve actuators from Amazon yesterday, they should be at home by early next week. Also had to bolt on a bracket for a stepladder in the garage, as this is not a short person friendly camper. DW mounted the HD key rack on the garage wall, too.

WW, do you have a source for your cameras?
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #35

T,

I got the camera and cable kit from Amazon.

Rear View Night Vision Backup 2 Camera System for RV, Truck, Trailer, Bus, Fifth-Wheel
Sold by Rear View Safety Inc.

Quick Connect Disconnect Kit for Camera System
Sold by Rear View Safety Inc.

After crawling under the trailer for days, it dawned on me (started early that day!) that a rack could be installed underneath the trailer just behind the fuel tank. The challenge would be to make a decent rack. I will check to see if you can buy one already made.

I probably should have gone with the electric actuators for the 3" and the forward grey 1-1/2", but did the mechanical thing and it works.

I did get the cameras installed; putting one on the back of the pickup, too. I also had to shorten that cable. They furnish 65' cables for the two cameras, like you have a MH... and the camera has about 8' or more of cable, so I had seventy something feet when I only needed 20' and couldn't stand coiling up over 40' of cable on the truck. I cut and spliced the cable. I soldered and used heat shrink over everything. I came out better than I expected it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Having our first full week of camping in the XLR, finding several mods that need to be made! Ordered electric sewer valve actuators from Amazon yesterday, they should be at home by early next week. Also had to bolt on a bracket for a stepladder in the garage, as this is not a short person friendly camper. DW mounted the HD key rack on the garage wall, too.

WW, do you have a source for your cameras?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camera cable splicing (1).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	60080   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 pin camera plug.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	60081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear camera.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	60082  

Old 08-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #36

Got the insulation done... put the shiny stuff like sun-shields are made of for windshields to the floor bottom itself; cut to each floor section... stapled well... then taped with aluminum duct tape around all edges. I actually put duct insulation made by Thermo King on all the tanks. Got the shiny stuff HD online... the sticky duct insulation and pipe insulation at HD store. I insulated water lines, too. I then sealed all holes into the trailer and eventually in the belly pan (coroplast). While open, I tied up all hanging wiring and protected some with wire cover... I also installed 1x2" wood strips to fasten the belly to. I originally just screwed with #12 SDST screws, but went back with bolts to be sure it doesn't pull loose, since when the tanks fill the expand down. Then, ran wiring (including 12Vdc for outside cigarette lighter and rear camera.

Note, I have a sanitary hose, but the garden hose was there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12vdc marine lighter (1).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	60084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Insulation under floor.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	60085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Insulation 1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	60086  

Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #37

Wow, WW, you've been busy! Nice work, and thanks for the pics and link to the camera. May have to convince the DW that we need one of those!

One other mod that I'm doing that I just noticed this morning. The tie-downs in the garage are just bolted into the plywood flooring with some long bolts--they have a Phillips head on top which indexes nicely into the tie-down, but there's nothing on the bottom of these bolts--no plate, no washer, not even a nut! I guess they're "supposed" to just have enough "bite" to hold into the plywood. As a dolphin would say: na-uh, na-uh! So I took one out, looks like I might be able to find a nylock nut and some washers for them--all 32 of 'em. I'm not trusting my Glide to a tie-down that's only screwed into wood!?!?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #38

Taranwanderer,

I replaced the tie downs on my old TH; the tie downs screwed into the wood floor and floor joists, and was glued down with some kind of very tough silicone, for lack of a better description. I am sure they would have held, it was hell getting them out.

My 29 has about 8" wide sheet metal "plates" running all the way down the middle and down both sides of the garage. Are you sure they are not screwed into this sheet metal (maybe 1/8" thick)? Agreed bolts would be better... some might be hard to get to... my rear grey tank is slightly behind the rear axle.

I'll check mine out when the sun comes up.

Thanks for the useful information!
Wolf

Old 08-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Taranwanderer,

I replaced the tie downs on my old TH; the tie downs screwed into the wood floor and floor joists, and was glued down with some kind of very tough silicone, for lack of a better description. I am sure they would have held, it was hell getting them out.

My 29 has about 8" wide sheet metal "plates" running all the way down the middle and down both sides of the garage. Are you sure they are not screwed into this sheet metal (maybe 1/8" thick)? Agreed bolts would be better... some might be hard to get to... my rear grey tank is slightly behind the rear axle.

I'll check mine out when the sun comes up.

Thanks for the useful information!
Wolf
I'm thinking you're right about the metal plates--those long bolts they used had a sheet-metal screw-like tip on them, and I only noticed it by looking at the tie-down by the rear man door from the side--it does look like it's screwed into the steel. Regardless, nuts and washers are getting added...
Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #40

I looked under my unit and it would be easy to bolt them down.

Tags
xlr