Originally Posted by northstar1960
putting an andersen on . what prompted that . also it's no suprise to find under gage wire . not eve up to the axle manufactures specs . seems FR is not following instructions
Just one of the things on my list. I've had trouble stopping the thang. So, got out the tape, and took a look see. As well as pulling out my Lippert / Dexter manuals... actually on laptop.
The curb side brakes feed internally in the axles from the street side in what looks like 16 ga wire, it might be 14 ga at best. The holes and grommets won't take anything larger, but could be drilled out. So, I left those alone for now.
When you add that 8 feet (slightly less) down the axle to the 14/2 conductor in a red sheath FR ran, I get 30 feet total and surprisingly I found about 5 feet of slack for no reason. I saw that when I tied up all the loose wire way back when, but it didn't dawn on me to shorten it then.
It is normal for the return (-) to be in the same sheath or jacket, but doing so according to my calculations the total voltage drop would be 30% like they did it and about 4% like I did it.
Four 12" brakes offer about a 16 amps of load. With a total conductor length of about 60 feet from the factory... the way I did it; 18 feet of 10 ga plus with a 4 amp load plus another 8 feet of 14 ga with another 4 amp load out there. Two runs.
I am anxious to test the brakes. I'm going to install the P3 today.