Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #1

What's the trick to leveling

I have a 2012 27hfs Hyperlite. Where do you put the level. Every surface in this thing is different. Just when I think I have it leveled the screen dooe won't close, or the bathroom door won't latch. It is drivring me crazy. Also, I have notice a slight crease in the door where I have been loading my 2005 goldwing, is this anthting to be concerned with? Can the door surface be reinforced or is it even an issue.
Thanks,
Brian
BPD25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Join a good Guild. Ooops Wrong Forum.
(Sorry, World of Warcraft joke.)

When we had a TT I used to carry a straight 2x4 and carpenter's level. The 2x4 went across the tongue at the frame and the level went onto that. That got me my left and right.

Then I put the level on the floor inside and raised and lowered the tongue jack until the wife called out level. (Yes she does know how to read one.)

Once I got it perfect I screwed the small levels from Camping World to the camper in the left front corner so I could leave the level at home.
(Don't forget to remove the screws and put 3M 5200 quick set marine adhesive in the holes before you put the screws back in.)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #3

So the tounge is a good reference point, because when I use a the small levels inside I get a different reading where ever I put it. I am just looking for the most reliable place on the trailer to get it level. The tounge does make sense and the 2x4 is a good idea.
Thanks, Brian
BPD25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

The frame is the best place. Even stuff that is welded to the frame is suspect since you don't know if the welder had the frame leveled when he or she welded the attachment on.

The floor inside it a good place for the fore/aft level check since it is attached directly to the frame. I used to use my steps till I noticed the were not "square" to the frame.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Anacortesians

When I set up the two small levels in my rig, I used a 12" torpedo level in the bottom of the fridge, since that's the thing that really needs to be level. I then stuck the two small ones up front where I can see them from the driver's seat when I'm operating the leveller system.

I level manually, as the auto-level gets the rig too far off the ground.