Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Member
 
mark.g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 60
Where would you put these batteries

I acquired four GNB Marathon 155AH telecom batteries used for power backup systems as part of a package purchase recently. If I can find a place to put them it would give me over 600AH of battery available. The problem, they are 5" wide, 11.15" tall, 22" long, and come in at 119lbs each. Lots of battery without a clear location to install. They are sealed AGM with a 12 year service life with only 3 years of that gone so far.

My thoughts right now are to either find a location to install them on the rig itself, or use it as portable battery bank that I can connect to the rig as needed. The least desirable, I try to sell them to someone who has the space to put them in their home or RV solar project.

Thoughts?

Link to Battery Info: GNB Marathon M12V155FT 12v 155ah Front Access Telecom Switchgear AGM Battery TEL12-150F, TEL12-160F, M12V150FT, 12V155F
__________________

__________________
2016 XLR Thunderbolt 415AMP
-Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, SteadyFast Stabilizers
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 6.6L Duramax
-Hillsboro Flatbed, Dakota Hills Truck Defender Aluminum Front Bumper, S&B Cold Air Intake, AirLift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate, VIAIR Medium Duty Onboard Air System,
mark.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Interesting M, wonder how the ah is rated? Battery makers play ah games, but probably not these Also very heavy.... hope they (4?) aren't on the tongue(?) ... don't know but in the telecom world, batteries are carefully maintained and might not like bouncing down the road. A heck of a battery none the less. We have batteries over 40 years old when I retired... babied them.
WW
__________________

__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
I looked at the same type of battery.
I was told, they may not stand up to vibrations in an Rv.


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
Member
 
mark.g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Interesting M, wonder how the ah is rated? Battery makers play ah games, but probably not these Also very heavy.... hope they (4?) aren't on the tongue(?) ... don't know but in the telecom world, batteries are carefully maintained and might not like bouncing down the road. A heck of a battery none the less. We have batteries over 40 years old when I retired... babied them.
WW
I know the rating is on the battery, but I do not remember what it was off the top of my head. They're not on the RV at the moment. I am not even sure if I will use them due to the weight, but was curious what others would do if they had them. I essentially got them for free so its no skin off my back if I can't use them but figured since I have them I would at least look into using them.
__________________
2016 XLR Thunderbolt 415AMP
-Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, SteadyFast Stabilizers
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 6.6L Duramax
-Hillsboro Flatbed, Dakota Hills Truck Defender Aluminum Front Bumper, S&B Cold Air Intake, AirLift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate, VIAIR Medium Duty Onboard Air System,
mark.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
MG, I know I would use them. Even in my towable TH, I would figure out something. Then make darn sure my charger can be optioned for the required bulk charging voltage (14.8 - 15.0) and the occasional equalization routine; if you don't you won't get them charged and they won't last. IOTA makes such a charger as does the charger in the Magnum Inverter, I just ordered (with monitor). I have two 230AH GC2 and might get two more; but adding two more on the tongue, isn't desirable, not to mention the PV panels are located more than 30 feet away. I wonder if the person who says that they won't take the bumps, might have an agenda... I don't know, but considering the price and if the weight / space is doable, I would use them.
WW
__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 1,119
i have to ask, What kinds of package purchase did these come with? sorry.. intrigued
__________________
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4l with 2015 Sandpiper 25RLS
Wife, myself and 2 furry kids
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Member
 
mark.g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
i have to ask, What kinds of package purchase did these come with? sorry.. intrigued
I purchased a little 5x8 enclosed trailer a guy was using as a bugout trailer. He was trading up to a small travel trailer and didn't want to de-bugout the 5x8. Ended up with a Mr Heater buddy heater, one solar panel, the batteries, some MREs, and a few other misc. items.
__________________
2016 XLR Thunderbolt 415AMP
-Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, SteadyFast Stabilizers
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 6.6L Duramax
-Hillsboro Flatbed, Dakota Hills Truck Defender Aluminum Front Bumper, S&B Cold Air Intake, AirLift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate, VIAIR Medium Duty Onboard Air System,
mark.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Member
 
mark.g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
MG, I know I would use them. Even in my towable TH, I would figure out something. Then make darn sure my charger can be optioned for the required bulk charging voltage (14.8 - 15.0) and the occasional equalization routine; if you don't you won't get them charged and they won't last. IOTA makes such a charger as does the charger in the Magnum Inverter, I just ordered (with monitor). I have two 230AH GC2 and might get two more; but adding two more on the tongue, isn't desirable, not to mention the PV panels are located more than 30 feet away. I wonder if the person who says that they won't take the bumps, might have an agenda... I don't know, but considering the price and if the weight / space is doable, I would use them.
WW
When I do get around to upgrading my batteries I will be also installing a better charging system to ensure maximum life from the batteries. Whether it be these bad boys or something else. Trick is just finding a spot without adding them to the pin. Perhaps a box in the garage, or convert the dove tail storage box to a vented battery box. Alas, I will need more time than I have at the moment to do that level of upgrade/customization. Thank you all for the inputs!
__________________
2016 XLR Thunderbolt 415AMP
-Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, SteadyFast Stabilizers
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 6.6L Duramax
-Hillsboro Flatbed, Dakota Hills Truck Defender Aluminum Front Bumper, S&B Cold Air Intake, AirLift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate, VIAIR Medium Duty Onboard Air System,
mark.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.g View Post
I acquired four GNB Marathon 155AH telecom batteries used for power backup systems as part of a package purchase recently. If I can find a place to put them it would give me over 600AH of battery available. The problem, they are 5" wide, 11.15" tall, 22" long, and come in at 119lbs each. Lots of battery without a clear location to install. They are sealed AGM with a 12 year service life with only 3 years of that gone so far.

My thoughts right now are to either find a location to install them on the rig itself, or use it as portable battery bank that I can connect to the rig as needed. The least desirable, I try to sell them to someone who has the space to put them in their home or RV solar project.

Thoughts?

Link to Battery Info: GNB Marathon M12V155FT 12v 155ah Front Access Telecom Switchgear AGM Battery TEL12-150F, TEL12-160F, M12V150FT, 12V155F
I'd place them in the back of my 3500 1 ton tow vehicle, and spend some money on a proper charger and/or converter. Sealed AGM batteries and FLA batteries may have different charging requirements. Extra batteries would be a good idea if you boondock a lot.
__________________
2013 Flagstaff 8528IKWS, 2006 F-350 6.0L
DickiedooFlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
Happy Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Near Selma, Alabama
Posts: 91
I agree with DickiedooFlagman about finding the proper charger, etc...

I own an automotive repair/service business and had to upgrade charging & testing equipment to handle the different characteristics of the Absorbed Gas Mass batteries. They have benefits but can not be charged at a normal battery charger rate without possibly shortening the battery life.

Google it.
__________________

__________________
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.