Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #1

Winterizing 2015 XLR 27HFS

So, I went to winterize my 27HFS today, for the 1st time on this unit. (Not the 1st time I've winterized an RV)

I removed all the low point drain caps with all the taps open, removed the hot water tank drain plug, bypassed the hot water tank. Re-installed the low point drain caps when it was finished draining.

When I went to pump anti-freeze into the system using the short hose by the pump, it would not pump/suck any thing out of the jug of antifreeze (yes, I switched the valve to the short hose). I tried priming the short hose with antifreeze, it did not help. It seemed to suck slightly, when I switched the valve towards the fresh water tank.

Anyone have any ideas?
wskypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

I'm dealing with the exact same issue right now. Ended up bringing the trailer to the dealer. Seems like the valve isn't going to the fully open position for the short antifreeze suction line.

Hopefully hear something tomorrow or tuesday, if so will post back.

Toys-
Yamaha G9 Golf Cart
2010 Harley FLHX with lots of mods
bowtie_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Sunseeker 2500TS

My valve was backwards I needed to flip it. When I tried to pull from the bottle nothing. Put a funnel on it and noticed I could pour the whole gallon in with the pump off. It was going into the fresh water tank not towards the pump. Good news is I could put antifreeze into the FW tank, bad news is I couldn't pump through the rest of the system without putting four gallons in the FW tank . Clamps on the lines were good though, hard to get off. Flipped valve worked.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocrider50 View Post
My valve was backwards I needed to flip it. When I tried to pull from the bottle nothing. Put a funnel on it and noticed I could pour the whole gallon in with the pump off. It was going into the fresh water tank not towards the pump. Good news is I could put antifreeze into the FW tank, bad news is I couldn't pump through the rest of the system without putting four gallons in the FW tank . Clamps on the lines were good though, hard to get off. Flipped valve worked.
You're kidding? They installed the valve backwards? There's just no excuse for that. We'll see what kind of job they did on mine, I'm preparing to winterize it this afternoon.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #5

Well, put me in the "my valve is backwards too" camp. Unbelievable. So when you flip the valve to draw AF from the jug, it is open to the jug, but it's also open to the FW tank, so all it does is draw air from the FW tank and nothing from the jug when you hit the pump. The check valve must be towards the pump instead of the tank. Un-effing-real. What kind of dimwits do they have working at the XLR factory? It's probably the same tech who installed my outside LEDs (that now need to be removed and replaced with a new strip.) I'm just amazed at the crappy attention to detail in many spots. Glad it's going to the dealer tomorrow, and they can fix all this crap. Could I remove and reverse the valve? Sure. Do I want to or should I have to? No.

Wow again.

Edit: upon further review, it's not a "check valve" but it's just a shut-off. So, because it's backwards, it's just shutting any access to the pump, ie, the pump kicks on but can't draw from anywhere because the shut-off is choking it. Good way to burn out a pump if you're not realizing what's happening...
Old 10-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #6

Yep, mine was in backwards too... I actually think the valve was assembled wrong, the way the tab points on the valve is on backwards, makes no sense the direction it points compared to the direction of flow of water... either that or it is the wrong application for this particular valve... anyway, switched it around, so good to go.

And like Taranwanderer said... Can I fix this? Yes. Should I have to? NO!!!
wskypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

Well, it was a successful trip to my dealer today--got the backwards valve fixed (and I'm glad I let them do it, because the tech popped the whole assembly off the water pump and pulled it out where he could work on it, and I never would have thought to do that.) It was indeed installed backwards. Factory dip*****tery. Unbelievable.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #8

Mines the same way. Dealers 300 miles away. Guess I'll be flipping it myself.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #9

Winterized the Kilday Kamper tonight and.......our valve was backwards too. 2 hose clamps and 15 minutes later problem solved. Doesn't surprise me as there is no indicator showing water flow. Going to be sad day tomorrow when it goes into winter storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Kilday4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

Well finally able to update mine, same as everyone else. The valve is in there wrong.

Toys-
Yamaha G9 Golf Cart
2010 Harley FLHX with lots of mods
bowtie_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wskypapa View Post
So, I went to winterize my 27HFS today, for the 1st time on this unit. (Not the 1st time I've winterized an RV)

I removed all the low point drain caps with all the taps open, removed the hot water tank drain plug, bypassed the hot water tank. Re-installed the low point drain caps when it was finished draining.

When I went to pump anti-freeze into the system using the short hose by the pump, it would not pump/suck any thing out of the jug of antifreeze (yes, I switched the valve to the short hose). I tried priming the short hose with antifreeze, it did not help. It seemed to suck slightly, when I switched the valve towards the fresh water tank.

Anyone have any ideas?
Make sure there is not a FW valve in line, I found that out last year when it wouldn't suck. Nowhere was that valve in any info that came with the unit. Once I closed that it just drank all the cool-aid.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #12

Well count me as part of the backward valve bunch. I do have an observation though. On mine, I think the valve itself is manufactured backwards. The handle is supposed to point in the direction of source....at least that's what I would expect....and that's how it's assembled. But, to get the valve to work correctly, you have to attach the lines so that the handle either points to the pump, or the winterizing line. That seems goofy to me, I just wonder if Hyperlite got a batch of Chinese valves where someone was asleep at the controls?
Cape Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, xlr, winterize