Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Wiring Diagram

Well I guess I need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot why my flood lights wont work.

I'm not sure they ever did.

When I turned them on (flood lights) the front step light came on but not the floods. Back step light did not.

Checked the fuses and breakers, everything is good. I pulled the main switch panel and checked power with a multimeter and everything checks out. I switched the wires on the flood and step switch, now the step light comes on with the step light switch but only the front, not the back.

Flood lights still do not work. Odd thing is, when I pull the fuse I do not get a red light. Fuse is good, I even switched them. I checked power to the fuse and it is good. I even pulled the wire from the fuse box and moved it to a spare, still nothing.

So, I need to see if the correct wire is even hooked up and I need a wiring diagram to do that.

I dont know how I missed the lights during the PDI but I really do not want to drag the RV back to the dealer.

Any suggestions?

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Rider View Post
Well I guess I need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot why my flood lights wont work.

I'm not sure they ever did.

When I turned them on (flood lights) the front step light came on but not the floods. Back step light did not.

Checked the fuses and breakers, everything is good. I pulled the main switch panel and checked power with a multimeter and everything checks out. I switched the wires on the flood and step switch, now the step light comes on with the step light switch but only the front, not the back.

Flood lights still do not work. Odd thing is, when I pull the fuse I do not get a red light. Fuse is good, I even switched them. I checked power to the fuse and it is good. I even pulled the wire from the fuse box and moved it to a spare, still nothing.

So, I need to see if the correct wire is even hooked up and I need a wiring diagram to do that.

I dont know how I missed the lights during the PDI but I really do not want to drag the RV back to the dealer.

Any suggestions?
Whats a wiring diagram? What do you mean about a red light when pulling a fuse. I think a fuse has to be blown to light the red light. I don't have step lights; is that factory? Do you have 3 switches just inside the front door? Several members have reported factory mis-wiring of these. But easy to fix. You didn't say if you checked the bulbs(?).

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #3

Wiring schematic/diagram/blue print.

When a fuse is blown or removed (open circuit) a red led light comes on next to the corresponding fuse. When I pulled other fuses the light came on.

The step lights I am referring to are over the door(s). The flood lights are mounted on the top of the sides, 2 on each side and the two in the back.

Have not checked the bulbs, 6 different lights would not be bad on a new unit.

US Army Retired
Old 02-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

I believe you will find that WolfWhistle is being facetious when asking what a wiring diagram is. Forest River keeps their wiring diagrams in a vault, never to be seen by their rv buyers. ( now I am being facetious, but it could be true )

Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Someone at the factory may have forgot to or incorrectly crimped the wires at the lights just a thought.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #6

Did you just change your signature, I swear it showed 29HFS when I replied? Or, I'm worse off than I thought. OK, the entrance door lights you call step lights (we're on the same page now). My back "step" light switch is located just inside the garage in the garage... closer to the back step light.

My rear flood light switch is in that same 3 gang housing for switches... in the Garage.

Interesting that you did have to make a wiring change to get the switch operating the correct light. Probably a stupid question on my part, but how did you know which switch was for the step?

I remember what one of the owners (29HFS) found on their new unit, to get the outside... errr, step light to work, they originally only had a step light when the interior lights were on... so by moving a wire or two it was solved. It seems that it would be easy for that to happen. Lots of the same color wires behind that plate.

I only have 2 floods, not knowing you have 6, so it was just a bad idea. I agree 6 lamps being out at the same time, would be cause to drink... and drink heavily. I think I would peek into one and feel better if I saw a bulb... I know, I'm hard headed, sorry.

Why don't you PM Bulletbob and ask him about it, I am not sure what he does at the factory, but unofficially, he helps us XLR guys out.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #7

This diagram has helped me over the years, it works for FR, Airstream and Prevost, as well.
Attached Images

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #8

Wolfwhistle,

No, I didnt change the signature

I have a series of switches by the radio in the garage, one for the vent fan, one for the interior lights and then two others that dont do anything.

None are marked.

As for the front panel, I have two lighted rocker switches, one marked "flood" and the other marked "Steps". I turned on the flood switch and the step light over the door came on, turn on the step switch and nothing. Thats why I changed them.

I'm beginning to wonder if the rear door step light and the rear floods over the ramp are on the series of rockers in the garage. If so, then I have a different problem in that several circuits have issues.

I will give Bulletbob a shout, he helped me with another issue already.

US Army Retired
Old 02-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #9

Tx, I have one switch that doesn't do anything, as my options are, but someone tells me it would have been for tank heaters, if I had the Extreme Pkg.

(No, I didnt change the signature) I am loosing it!

(I have a series of switches by the radio in the garage, one for the vent fan, one for the interior lights and then two others that dont do anything.) I bet of those two, one is for the rear step light the other for the rear flood (wild guess)

That is strange that all these lights don't work. On my little unit, there is one fuse that runs the rear set of switches.

Did you just take delivery of your Thunderbolt? Nice unit!

Wolf.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-21-2015, 08:56 PM   #10

I read where the Thunderbolt comes with reverse activated rear flood lamps?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I read where the Thunderbolt comes with reverse activated rear flood lamps?
I don't think your loosing it I was making a suggestion, totally different guy.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #12

Yes, took delivery a few months ago, I havent had a chance due to work and the weather to take it out.

I have done all I can do with my average electrical skills. Since FR changes the wiring color scheme it is hard to trace.

I have a brown/white wire coming off the fuse panel and a purple/white wire on the switch. There is no brown/white anywhere else in the wiring spaghetti behind the panel.

The thing that still bugs me is why the red led isnt on when I pull the fuse opening the circuit.

I guess I didnt clarify on my front panel, I have several rocker switches, some lighted, some not. I have a vacant spot for a tank heater as well.

Here is a pic of the panel, I know it's blurry but the flood and step switches are the two top right red switches

US Army Retired
Old 02-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #13
Director, FROG

TX Rider, if you contact Mike Chamberlain at XLR Thunderbolt Service, I think he'll be able to help. You can get Mike at (574) 642-0434, or by e-mail at mchamberlain@forestriverinc.com.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #14

Just a thought. Could that "step" switch be for your steps and the light that is mounted on the step mounting under the unit? You would not see it during the day and it only comes on if the steps are out and the switch is on. If not applicable disregard.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #15

Thanks for the pics Tx. That clears it up for me. I am wondering if the step and flood switches are "momentary" buttons that you push for on, the push for off? I think there is more to the switch than the switches in my simple unit. There could be a circuit board and relays in this panel. Nothing in my unit resembles this at all.

I am going to try to figure out why the red "blown" fuse light doesn't light. I have the same brand of panel, just smaller.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 02-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #16

WolfWhistle,

I read in another thread that the WFCO distro panel will not show a "red" LED with an open circuit if there is no load or draw on it. I have only seen this information once so I am suspect of it's accuracy.

I know the flood switch is good because it powered the step light when it was hooked up incorrectly.

Now I am thinking a ground issue.

I need to go back to the RV and do some more process of elimination.

US Army Retired
Old 02-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've read through this whole thread and not once did you mention "checking power at the light" or checking the bulb / s
Before you keep "digging" for a problem check the obvious.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I've read through this whole thread and not once did you mention "checking power at the light" or checking the bulb / s
Before you keep "digging" for a problem check the obvious.
No I havent, but as I mentioned it would be very odd to have all the bulbs blown on the flood lights. I did not want to break the seal if I didnt have to.

I also didnt have a ladder with me at the time, the unit is at the storage lot.

US Army Retired
Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Rider View Post
No I havent, but as I mentioned it would be very odd to have all the bulbs blown on the flood lights. I did not want to break the seal if I didnt have to.

I also didnt have a ladder with me at the time, the unit is at the storage lot.
I would agree with turbs a good place to start and see the colors, Also WFCO convertors do not have a red led light up if I remember, I put a progressive one in and it will light red when blown or the fuse is pulled.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've blown a fuse and never had the led light up, so I wouldn't trust that as your reasoning for looking deeper just yet.

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diagram, wiring