Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

XLR 24HFS 2nd gray tank?

We took our first real shakedown run last weekend and decided to give a test to the capacity of the gray water tank (figured it was better to do it while we had hook-ups than when we were dry camping).... and we aren't too impressed. Maybe it's something we have to get used to but there were 3 of us and the gray water tank was filled after only 3 or 4 navy showers and some hand washing after using the bathroom. I'm sure we have to get used to conserving more, but it just seemed like it was filled in 2-3 days with minimal use.

Can a 2nd gray water tank be added to the 24HFS? I know that the tank level control center has a button for the 2nd tank, but not sure if it can actually be installed on the 24HFS. If not, I may have to look into a gray water toilet flush system to help use up the gray water... black water tank I don't think even got to 2/3 full over the 4 nights. We didn't really test the fresh water.
klarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:02 AM   #2

Im camping now... in 4 days with 3 navy showers the "first" tank on my 29hfs is nearly full... the second tank just hit 1/3. What i can do that you cannot is, with the dump cap on, open both grey valves and let the tanks equalize. On the 29, the second grey tank is forward just rear of the fresh tank. I know the 29 tank layout but not sure of the 24.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #3

I'll have to do some more research. I really don't want to pull the underbelly off just to see if a tank can be added (seems like it would be a major PITA to put it back on). It's rare that we'll ever go dry camping, but it would be nice to know that we could if we wanted to...
Old 08-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #4

I have a post here, "2015 XLR Hyperlite 29HFS - what lies beneath
Again, our units are most likely considerably different, but there might be enough similarities; that what I know might be of some help. The grey tanks are supported side to side by angle iron, so constructed when the frame was built (LCI) and nicely powder-coated. The tanks have cast in length-wise steps, half way up, allowing them to sit on the angle iron. There are no straps holding the tanks up... don't need any. The greys are slightly longer than black and maybe a little longer than the fresh tank. The black tank is similarly supported. I was thinking that if you don't have the fuel station, an additional grey could be mounted there.... or under the garage. It might take a pump to move water around as needed. If you decide to remove the belly pan, it isn't that hard to do. The worst part would be resealing everything again after putting it back. I would suggest covering/insulating the entire back side of the coroplast / belly pan with a product like reflextex, which would be faster and probably better than what I did. The insulation factor would be a R-4 or R-6... maybe more. I did every floor section, which was indeed a PITA. My reason for taking down the coroplast was because it was hanging all the way down to and laying on the axles and I was afraid a tank support was broken... which it wasn't; while it was off, I decided to run some 12Vdc wiring, insulate the floors and all the pipes and tie up all the VERY loose wiring. I also think all the holes into the cabin and through the belly pan are now sealed better. Frankly, this was a lot of work, so I hope it is worth it. It does seem like the AC works a little easier now. I am sure you are aware of the big wheeled tanks for dumping black and grey tanks.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #5

I do have the fuel station so I probably won't be able to mount anything back there. I'm sure I'll eventually drop the belly pan, just really don't want to deal with it just yet... haha. I may hold off for now and wait until I get get everything to do the gray water toilet flush mod... that way it will just be a one-and-done belly drop. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #6

I would suggest just getting a portable tote and dealing with the gray water that way. Yes, I know they are a hassle but not terrible after using it a time or two. I bought a 18 gallon model for use when I am in a more permanent site for a month at a time. Many have an auto stop feature to prevent overfilling even if the portable tank is smaller than your on board tank.

2017 Salem Hemisphere 326RL
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

They plumbed my 30hfs5 a little differently: the black tank is the toilet and the shower, and it's 54gal, so I didn't even come close to filling that all week last week while we were camping at a CG. So the gray tank is just the kitchen and bathroom sinks, but it's only 32gal, and it fills up quickly. If DW washes dishes at night and washes her face, brushes teeth, etc the next morning, it's 2/3 full.

I think they were onto a good idea plumbing it like this, just wish the gray was a little bigger.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #8

I'm not sure how I would feel about mine being plumbed that way. It's supposed to be a 57 gallon gray tank so that means that I would have filled your black tank. I didn't realize it filled so quickly until I was in the shower and noticed the water not draining. Had it been plumbed into the black tank, I may have had some floating particles joining me in the shower... lol.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #9

What I really don't understand is that the tank filled with 3 showers, but none of us lost hot water. The hot water tank is only 6 gallons. So that shouldn't have even filled it 1/2 way... And there is no way we each used 20 gallons in a navy shower.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #10

There is another post about tank sizes. Klarowe, if FR is correct (and if I'm interpreting correctly) we both have 57 gallons grey. I have 2 tanks and you 1. I think we have 54 gallons fresh and 32 gallons black. I have seen them and the greys are considerably the smaller tanks. This week, I did run out of tank space in the shower tank (now I see why at about 28 gallons). With the cap on, I opened both grey valves... they equalized showing 2/3 full. We took 2 more showers without issue, still showing 2/3. The black never hit 2/3 since we tried to use the comfort station as much as possible. Of course, I didn't use the fresh at all. I had about 20 gallons in it and only dumped it after getting home. Taranwanderer, I have never had one plumbed like the 30, but have heard of this before. I dump the black first... flush the black (factory flush valve) and dump again (maybe repeated again if needed). I never have black and grey valves open at the same time... so, then dump grey to clean out the hose, etc. I then wash out the hose with fresh water, if available. I leave the dump hose out to dry after getting home and disinfect it every now and then. I keep it in a separate plastic box and can fill with water and bleach when I need to.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #11

So the 24 is supposed to be a single 57 gallon gray but the 29 is 2 28.5 gallon tanks? That seems dump on FR's part to me but maybe it's just to help with plumbing. I'm still not sure how 57 gallons was filled in 3 showers yet hot water never ran out... Definitely an oddity.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #12

It would seem to me to be about weight distribution. The black is directly above the front axle... directly and the bath grey above the rear axle. The fresh is maybe half way from front axle to the front of trailer, with the kitchen grey directly behind the fresh tank... MOL.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas

Tags
tank, xlr