Old 09-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme87 View Post
How do you find the beds?my bunk is so uncomfortable,i only slept on it the one time...back was so sore after that.
We cut a thin piece of plywood to go under the mattress, and then cut down several camping mats to go between the mattress and plywood. it actually took two pieces of plywood, cut to fit the bunk space, and I can't remember if it took three or four foam camping mats to cover the plywood, but once it was all put in place, it made a world of difference! I couldn't even lay on the bunks before doing it, and it's not bad at all now. My wife and I actually slept back there when we took our Fl trip, and let our guest use our bed in the front, out of convenience.

99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #12

The rear bed was to uncomfortable to sleep on. I read in another post about cutting plywood and putting it under the mattress. I tried this and it was better but still not comfortable. I also noticed that when I sat on the bed it would bow alot and one time I heard wood crack. after that I never trusted it.

I decided to spend a saturday and fix it. I went to the hardware store and bought two 1/8" by 2"x2" aluminum angle stock long enough to span from side to side. I cut it to fit between the wood bed frame and the metal brackets of the bed lift. This way it spans from side to side on both the front and back. I had to remove the trim boards front and back and that's when I found that both were cracked. I removed the naugahyde covering, (alot of staples) and found that it is just thin cheap plywood and both were cracked. I went back to the lumber yard and bought two pieces of solid douglas fur almost the same dimensions. I cut them to length and recovered them with the original naugahyde. I then reinstalled the side boards by predrilling through the aluminum and used longer screws. The bed frame is now solid and even with my weight (280lbs) does not bow. I decided to put a full queen mattress on it. It is now as comfortable as our regular bed. love it.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (4)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
The rear bed was to uncomfortable to sleep on. I read in another post about cutting plywood and putting it under the mattress. I tried this and it was better but still not comfortable. I also noticed that when I sat on the bed it would bow alot and one time I heard wood crack. after that I never trusted it.

I decided to spend a saturday and fix it. I went to the hardware store and bought two 1/8" by 2"x2" aluminum angle stock long enough to span from side to side. I cut it to fit between the wood bed frame and the metal brackets of the bed lift. This way it spans from side to side on both the front and back. I had to remove the trim boards front and back and that's when I found that both were cracked. I removed the naugahyde covering, (alot of staples) and found that it is just thin cheap plywood and both were cracked. I went back to the lumber yard and bought two pieces of solid douglas fur almost the same dimensions. I cut them to length and recovered them with the original naugahyde. I then reinstalled the side boards by predrilling through the aluminum and used longer screws. The bed frame is now solid and even with my weight (280lbs) does not bow. I decided to put a full queen mattress on it. It is now as comfortable as our regular bed. love it.
That does sound like a lot better solution, especially for the comfort aspect. The reason I did mine the way I did, was due to weight issues, and I also have the second bunk added. I just didn't want to add the additional weight of two traditional mattresses. We tent camped for years, and to be honest, the bunks aren't that uncomfortable, and are much better than they were without the plywood and pads.
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmac1964 View Post
That does sound like a lot better solution, especially for the comfort aspect. The reason I did mine the way I did, was due to weight issues, and I also have the second bunk added. I just didn't want to add the additional weight of two traditional mattresses. We tent camped for years, and to be honest, the bunks aren't that uncomfortable, and are much better than they were without the plywood and pads.
It was some work, but I did not have much choice after I heard the wood crack. weight wise I thought about a queen air mattress and may go that way at some point. I don't have the second bed so I may be close weight wise.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (4)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote