Old 11-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

XLR 27 hfs axles

I have a 2012 27 hfs and was having the problems with the axles rubbing the inner fenders. I only haul one dirt bike (Sometimes two) most of the time with full water for weekend trips. I did not notice the rubbing until the factory warrenty was up. However FR knowing this is a problem they upgraded the axles for good faith. After the upgraded axles were installed was bringing it home EMPTY and the tires are continuing to rub the inner fenders. Concerned and unhappy. Thinking of going to a Raptor or Fusion. Any ideas?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Is the suspension torsion or springs?

Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #3

mxracer78...I had the same problem with my 27HFS. FR upgraded my axles, too. I haven't towed it loaded yet but it doesn't rub empty. It sets at least 1" higher unloaded than before but it's not the vertical movement that causes the contact. It has to be the side roll. The stiffer springs should make a difference but I may install shocks, too, to further dampen that roll. The original axles were probably 3500# like mine. Make sure the new ones are heavier. The new models come with 4400# and that's what they put on mine. The rating is stamped on the center of the axle.
dunnnc...they are leaf spring mounted.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #4

Thanks Rotech. Yes they are spring mounted. They did put the 4400# axles on it. The unit does set at least 1" higher. The axles look good now. I agree on the same thinking that it has to be side roll. Really disappointed that it is rubbing already and is empty. I have thought about air bags but I don't think that is a fix all solution. The biggest question is why is it getting so much side roll to rub? Would think this would be considered when building the unit. The rubbing is not near as severe as it was before they installed the heavier axles, but it is empty.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Might want to check that the shackles or shackle bolts are not loose or worn.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #6

I was thinking about wheel spacers on mine.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

That may be the only option is wheel spacers. In my opinion this is not a good solution with the amount of money that we spend on these units to have them do this. I also think if you go with wheel spacers you will have to check the torque on the wheels much more frequent.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #8

Just curious what the dealer or Forest River has to say about this. Did you contact either one to tell them you still had a problem? Perhaps whoever did the axle replacement didn't do it right. Since FR is paying for the upgrade, would think dealer would have to correct it. Wheel spacers don't sound too safe to me to be putting on a trailer.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #9

Since you guys are hauling dirt bikes too... thought i would ask how you are securing them? I'm hauling 3 mini's (50's and 65's) and sometimes one 250F.

I've been looking at the "Bolt it on", which appears to be the best possible solution for me. Any other ideas?

Thus far I love the toy hauler, although we've only had it out for one weekend. It was also already winterized by the dealer, so I haven't yet used all of the features.

Thanks for any input!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #10

I am still waiting to hear back from FR. I too agree the wheel spacers is not a good solution. I am securing my dirt bikes by using the existing rings in the floor. I put them in facing forward, use two tie downs on the handlebars and wrap one tie down through the rear wheel to pull pressure backwards so the tiedowns on the handlebars have pressure to secure the bike without much pressure on the forks. this has worked great. I have hauled three full size 450's in it once and I put two bike in forward and one facing the rear and workd good. with the minis it may be hard to get the pressure pulling back on the rear wheel because they are shorter and not as close to the rear rings. I am reluctant to drill holes in my floor due to extended warranty and problems I am having with the camper. I don't want them to have any reasons not to cover anything wrong.

Tags
axle