Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

XLR 27HFS owners

Any other owners out there want to share info on the XLR27 Hyperlite?
Steve38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #2

We have a 2012 that we just earlier this month.
Brian
BPD25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #3

PM sent
Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #4

made a small change to my fresh water tank drain. I probably worry too much but, i thought the drain was too long and could possibly get knocked off if I were unable to avoid a road gator. Plus the drain tube was too far under the trailer to easily reach.

before and after pictures. I added a ball valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-31_18-54-32_304.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	7144   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-31_19-09-02_576.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	7145  
Old 08-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

Steve,
That looks really good. I have not had the trailer long enough to look at the things I might want to change. Besides everytime I mention something my wife ask if it is going to void the warranty. The issue I am looking at is the ramp door. There is strating to be a small crease in the door where I ride the bike up it. I was thinking about reinforcing it by attaching a piece of plywood to the door. But I am not exactly sure what there is to fasten it to or what type of fastener to use.
Brian
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #6

What kind of motorcycle is stressing the door?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #7

a 2005 Honda Goldwing over 1100lbs with me on it.
Brian
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #8

If it one of the doors that is having problems, there was a fix not long ago on this forum. I have a 29 MBV that has the door made by Lippert, I think. It is not showing anything inside or outside. Please let us know what happens with the door.

Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #9

I would contact FR, see what they have to say and search the forums as Jestercyco suggested. I would have to think about this one. I always try to avoid permanent mods, like drilling holes. It may be the only option you have to strengthen the door.
Maybe a narrow aluminum ramp laid on the door which is rigid enough to take some of the weight off the door. You could use it just for loading/unloading and store it in the garage or under the trailer. Or bolt it to the door. Problem with bolting, you would have to load the GW in the same place each time. Even a 2x12 may disperse the weight enough.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #10

I cintacted the dealer Cheyenne Camping Center, Walcot Ia. Talked to a service advisor he wants me to take pics and send them to him. He said that he would contact the manufacturer. Hopefully they will be of some help. My wife is not to excited about putting holes into the door.
Brian
Old 08-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #11

I just heard back from Cheyenne Camping Center. They contacted Forest River with the pics I sent. Forest River said to replace the door. CCC even contacted a somewhat local and arranged for the repair. Now I am just waiting to here that my new door has arrived and have it replaced. Still not sure what caused it. We will see with the new door.
Brian
Old 08-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #12

That is encouraging to hear. I just ordered a new 2012 XLR 27 HFS today. I can't wait to get it.
dustyb724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve38 View Post
Any other owners out there want to share info on the XLR27 Hyperlite?

I'm not an owner yet but am considering getting a toy hauler.

Narrowed it down to the XLR XLT27HFS or a Fun Finder XT-276 as they are very similar floor plan, weight, etc.

Tow vehicle: Dodge 1500 SLT Club Cab 4x4, hemi & AT w/factory tow package.

Anyone see any issues with the tow vehicle on this size/weight unitl to haul a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic?

I have never owned an RV so any info will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
I'm not an owner yet but am considering getting a toy hauler.

Narrowed it down to the XLR XLT27HFS or a Fun Finder XT-276 as they are very similar floor plan, weight, etc.

Tow vehicle: Dodge 1500 SLT Club Cab 4x4, hemi & AT w/factory tow package.

Anyone see any issues with the tow vehicle on this size/weight unitl to haul a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic?

I have never owned an RV so any info will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Power should not be a problem. I am towing with an F150 Ecoboost. The only concern you may have is the rear springs on the Dodge. Are they coil or leaf? If you have coil springs, I would do some checking on how they handle tongue weight. With an equalizer hitch it may not matter at all. Just the only concern i could think of. Good luck, we have the XLR 27HFS.
We like it very much. Make sure everything is in the trailer when you pick it up.
We were missing one screen in the garage. 9 weeks later and 2 wrong screens were sent. You would think FR knows the correct size screens for a trailer they sell. Sad thing, the screens they sent will not fit any window on the trailer. Beyond my comprehension.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:14 AM   #15

Thanks for the response.
The rear springs are leaf and factory rated tow capacity with the gear ratio in the truck is 7,600 pounds.

That tow rating is usually light and the TT weights are also usually light from what I've read. Did you have your 27HFS weighed to see if the factory dry weight was accurate?

Before purchase, I would like to actually be in one first to experience the layout. The closest dealer with one on hand is about 275 miles away tho and with work, it's difficult to get away.......and they are never open on Sunday either.

And......best get going to work now. Later.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #16

Questions for the XLT 27 HFS owners:
1. Does this unit have a black water flush?
2. Is the underbelly fully enclosed and if so with paper/metal or?
3. Where are the holding tanks located - fore or aft or middle?
4. Approximate cost to insure the unit? What company?
5. Is the Xtreme package worth the extra $$?
6. Other than appearance, any advantage to the aluminum wheels over steel wheels?
7. Advisable to have a generator (brand??) installed or get a portable unit like a Honda?
8. Is it best to have the dealer give you a walk thru checking everything out or if an internet buy, just have it delivered and 'hope for the best' ?

Sorry for so many questions but never had a TT or TTToy hauler before. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #17

QUOTE=Dakota 1120;128930]Questions for the XLT 27 HFS owners:
Standard dump valve, one black two gray tanks, i added a flush to mine, under $20
open belly
middle, black under the rear axle, all tanks forward of the black.
State Farm $36 month, I think they are ripping me, a friend is getting his for about $20/month, same type of trailer.
I would have to say yes. Mine was set up that way.
Heated tanks, one rear bed (a must have) better wheels, don't remember the rest. No fuel station - it was $1,000

6. Other than appearance, any advantage to the aluminum wheels over steel wheels?
Not sure, other than maybe having a spare and Nitrogen in them, I have never seen the standard wheels. I am not sure if the spare is standard or part of the package.
7. Advisable to have a generator (brand??) installed or get a portable unit like a Honda? I have a cheap $399 gen. 4400 watt electric start. I am going to upgrade to Honda when money is available.
8. Is it best to have the dealer give you a walk thru checking everything out or if an internet buy, just have it delivered and 'hope for the best' ?
I would do a walk through unless you have some experience with RV's
Even then it is a learning process.
You have to learn how and where everything is located. This forum is a big help. We drove to Ohio to pick it up. We saved $3000 over the local dealer.

Sorry for so many questions but never had a TT or TTToy hauler before. Any info will be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Standard dump valve, one black two gray tanks, i added a flush to mine, under $20
open belly
middle, black under the rear axle, all tanks forward of the black.
State Farm $36 month, I think they are ripping me, a friend is getting his for about $20/month, same type of trailer.
I would have to say yes. Mine was set up that way.
Heated tanks, one rear bed (a must have) better wheels, don't remember the rest. No fuel station - it was $1,000

Not sure, other than maybe having a spare and Nitrogen in them, I have never seen the standard wheels. I am not sure if the spare is standard or part of the package.
7. Advisable to have a generator (brand??) installed or get a portable unit like a Honda? I have a cheap $399 gen. 4400 watt electric start. I am going to upgrade to Honda when money is available.
I would do a walk through unless you have some experience with RV's
Even then it is a learning process.
You have to learn how and where everything is located. This forum is a big help. We drove to Ohio to pick it up. We saved $3000 over the local dealer.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #18

Thanks for the information Steve as it's a big help.

Question: With an open belly, of what value are the heated tanks as they would be exposed to the outside air? What am I missing here?

FYI:
Insurance - Got at quick quote via email of $190 annually from Blue Sky with guesstimated value at $24,000. As yet, haven't checked with my local agent that has my vehicle and homeowners insurance and will give him an opportunity too. PS: Have Zero respect for State Farm = historically have 2 or 3 claims and they drop you.

From what I read, leaning toward two generators - 2 Honda 2000i's hooked together as seems most recommended setup...but about $2,000. Read many bad reviews on the Onan 4000 installed in the gen space.

I did find out there is a local FR dealership so going to give them the opportunity to give me their best possible price too. I'd like to buy locally without getting ripped off.

AGain, thanks for the info.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #19

Not sure if I will ever use the heated tank option. By the time it gets cold here, the trailer will be put up for the season. The Honda seems to be the setup for portable gens.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #20

XLR HYPERLITE 27hfs

Hi Steve, we have the 27hfs too. Pull it with the 2011 F150 like you with a Harley '09 Classic inside. We love the design of RV and find it has plenly of room for us. We have some issues that I've just posted questions about the biggest being a tear in the gel coat! Also, rain water getting inside the generator compartment which can then leak into the the RV interior.. not good! We have sealed the compartment so that stops happening and we're bringing it back to the dealer for the gel coat issue and will also have them address the generator compartment.
cheryl7337 is offline   Reply With Quote