Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

XLR 29HFS GenPrep, HappyJac Benches, Roof Ladder ?

Bought a 2015 XLR 29HFS as it was rather than wait (6) weeks for order. Had all options I wanted except Gen prep, additional SAT IN, and the rear dinette benches on the HappyJac Rack under the bed in cargo bay. I have found tricks online to resolve hookups for my Satellite Sys with minor mods.

Have yet to call Forest River to see if can buy rear benches (black label) & Gen Prep kit to add it. I assume can get correct auto transfer switch & that they have diagram/instructions and kit for all rough ins to add the Onan RVQG4000. Plan to add 1" Boom Matting inside & around the Gen Box to muffle sound even more. Will connect to onboard gas tank option for long run times.

I also want to add an exterior roof ladder @ cargo bay sidewall in rear, perhaps collapsible type, like from weekendwarriorgear?

Has anyone done any of this after the fact? Any advice or recommended Part#'s etc much appreciated. Dealer is 5.5hrs away, so looking. For do-it-yourself help...
dabears3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

I'm not much help, D. Mine has the gen prep package. Instead of getting the proper Onan, I connected a #10 AWG cord to the provided transfer switch that is stored in the gen box, that I pull out and run out to a generator either on the ground or in the pickup bed. I can run it while on the road if necessary, but not nearly as convenient as the Onan would be. I did insulate the gen box on the outside, using Refectix; my concern was for heat and cold not sound. These onboard generators won't work for me, due to the noise. I know FR factory parts to retrofit is very pricey.

I only have the one bed on the happi jac lift system and haven't really even used it for a bed.

I did modified the sat / cable in outlet to allow sat hook up that could feed additional TVs either antenna or sat, as desired. The mod for that I found doing a search and it is posted on this site. For me a feed for sat and cable (both) isn't necessary. I can move the cable as they attach to the plate as needed, including to the antenna, which is very near worthless. If I was ordering new, I would order without antenna.

As nice as a collapsible ladder would be, its the price that keeps me from getting one. Plus, the section of an aluminum extension ladder (about 10 ft long and feather light) is all I need and already own. It fits easily into the toy bay or could be carried under floor with a simple hangar mod.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

Tell me about this transfer switch that's provided with the generator prep . I have the Generator prep and don't know where this switch is . I'd like do do the same
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Tell me about this transfer switch that's provided with the generator prep . I have the Generator prep and don't know where this switch is . I'd like do do the same
you have to remove the plywood bed platform completely. There is a space just behind the box where the transfer switch is hidden. They don't provide the cable but the rest is ready to go. I drilled through the box and used an insulated cable clamp to prevent chaffing. When hooked to the genny, it transfers automatically, just as the on board genny would do. I also insulated the box on those sides now exposed, while in there.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 06-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

Onan should be able to provide installation instructions and schematics. Cooling air in and out is critical. You may want to look at a unit with gen installed at factory.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #6

I bought the onan after I bought TH. Template to cut bottom was included along with install instructions

2015 29 hfs / 06 gmc 2500hd
lonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #7

WW
Thanks I'll look into it soon
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:54 AM   #8

Thanks guys.
I bought a Werner multiset 300lb ladder that can extend 13' for $110 @ Lowe's, will rig up in underbelly to rack it. Was much cheaper and easier than mounting exterior ladder.

Working with localCummins rep on gen set & accessories.

Good input about transfer switch planning to do auto start setup.
dabears3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears3 View Post
Thanks guys.
I bought a Werner multiset 300lb ladder that can extend 13' for $110 @ Lowe's, will rig up in underbelly to rack it. Was much cheaper and easier than mounting exterior ladder.

Working with localCummins rep on gen set & accessories.

Good input about transfer switch planning to do auto start setup.
Lowes and HD wants $159 here for the Werner ladder... was it on sale?? They do a military discount that drops about $16 off the before-tax price. Love the military discount! It would apply even to a sale price, but some items they only give 5% off on.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 06-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #10

I was able to pick up the Keller Pro 13' expandable ladder at Menards for $89 this morning (rated for 300lbs). The 10' was $85 but only rated for 225lbs. It worked great to get me on the roof today so I could install the Fantastic Fan vent covers.

Tags
roo, roof, xlr